I am VERY actively promoting ways of letting people catch up gear.
Suggestions so far.
1) Up the drop rate of existing LFR to say 30%.
2) Add some nice bits to new 5 mans when we get them (trinkets and weapons for everyone) but don't make it rain epics like in 4.3.
3) Add more Valor gear.
4) Reduce the rep requirements on existing Valor gear.
5) Add new ways of gaining rep.
6) Up the iLvl of the Cache from scenarios.
7) Add new catch up blue PvP crafted gear (which is also awesome for PvE since PvP stats are free).
8) Blanket nerf existing raids when new raid get released, I don't mind if they even nerf LFR.
There are loads more other suggestions I and others have made.
The thing I 100% want to avoid is all existing content becoming obsolete the second a new raid is opened.
When I need to earn my Valor I want to have a choice on how to do it not just smash my face over and over again into 2 5 mans.
It is about making everything rewarding enough so people might still do it (I am in no way advocating forcing people to do it) by making new 5 mans that are super rewarding you are forcing everyone to do those 2 5 mans as that is all people will do.
Are you really surprised that more guilds where going into DS nerfed to 30% compared to current content with no Nerfs? Normal raids being to hard is a topic for another thread (I do agree with you btw!).
Keep content relevant as long as possible pls!