Canadian in need of help to buy a laptop online

So lately I've been looking around for a laptop online. I will need a laptop soon for university and my current desktop is getting old so I'm looking forward to getting a reasonably good laptop. I also have this childish dream of wanting a ''gaming'' computer. So I've been looking at computer companies like Ibuypower and cyberpower. Problem is, most of them won't ship to Canada or have extreme trouble handling payments from canada. So I started looking around on canadian friendly websites (newegg and such) but I cannot find the build I'd like to have like I did with the previous 2 companies.

So my question is. Where can a canadian (french canadian) shop for a good gaming laptop?
    Physical retailers often sell overpriced crap (with low resolution screen paired with a GTX670) and 2TB of disk space.
    Online seems to be the only solution to find the machine I'm looking for but I am at a loss as to where to find such a machine considering my location.

Do you computer enthusiasts have any advice or help for an amateur gamer and returning student?

10+ Year Old Account
    amateur gamer and returning student?
    I'll be bluntly honest. I think you'll be happier buying a new gaming desktop ($600-800 range) and a cheapish laptop with a dedicated video card ($400-600 range), rather than a 'gaming' laptop which will cost you probably as much, if not more, and probably leave you disappointed with your gaming experience.

I wanted to get a gaming laptop too, and found that I gamed on my girlfriend's game-capable laptop so little, it wasn't worth the extra cost and weight and general hassle.

EDIT: It doesn't really help your situation as far as where to get one. I know most of my canadian friends either order from newegg, amazon, or futureshop.
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-12-28 at 05:30 AM.

I'm ready for a little extra because I won't be able bring my desktop with me when university begins.
    And god know I need my gaming >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd look maybe at Asus notebooks... Specifically a G75VW/VX model. You can find a Core i7 36xx or 37xx and a GTX 660/670 GPU in them with 1080p screens. The only downside is that they're 17". Another I'd maybe look at is Lenovo but those may end up being a bit more expensive. You can find the Asus though for around $1000-1500 and it has 4 RAM slots, 2 Hard Drive bays, an easily upgradeable graphics card. Not to mention they run extremely cool and quiet even while gaming.

Do you know if they can be customized a bit before shipping? Or would I have to do that myself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asuna View Post
    Do you know if they can be customized a bit before shipping? Or would I have to do that myself?
    What do you mean customized? Like select the CPU and such? Sadly no

http://www.memoryexpress.com/

These guys are based out of Calgary (but have spread across western Canada) but ship Canada wide. Newegg.ca and amazon.ca are also legit.

Thank you for the recommendations Saithes and blackblade.
    Also is there any gaming computer company based in Canada or is our weather too cold >.<?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're ordering computer stuff in Canada, get familiar with NCIX.com. They've got an awesome selection, way better sales than Newegg, and will match the price of anything at any other Canadian e-tailer. Did I mention they have awesome shipping rates? I live in Halifax and shipping usually costs me $8-15 for moderately sized packages.

/commercial
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

I bought the Asus G75V laptop, it's a bit bulky but i still can take it with me to game while i am out of town on business. Very happy with it, would recommend to anyone who travels.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I think so the best place to shop is ebay.com try these.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dmburton View Post
    I bought the Asus G75V laptop, it's a bit bulky but i still can take it with me to game while i am out of town on business. Very happy with it, would recommend to anyone who travels.
    I second this. I love my G75VW.