10+ Year Old Account

So what ever happened to that big find on Mars?

Remember a couple of months ago they announced that Curiosity discovered something big and would be announced on the first week of December? Whatever happened to that announcement, does anyone know? I haven't even heard anything about it, not a thing. It was apparently so big of a find that they said "This data is gonna be one for the history books" and "It's looking really good." So if it was that good why haven't we heard about it? Did it end up just being nothing worth announcing or something?

Call me a "tinfoil hat" person but it just seems kind of suspicious to announce a big find on Mars and say that they will reveal it soon and then when the time comes they don't say anything about it. Was it "too big" of a find to announce??
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Verifying data? *shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    They did announce it. They said they'd found organic materials on Mars, but not life, and that it was possible that the materials were contaminated by organic molecules from the rover itself. In other words, they may have found the building blocks of life on Mars, or they may not have.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    They did announce it. They said they'd found organic materials on Mars, but not life, and that it was possible that the materials were contaminated by organic molecules from the rover itself. In other words, they may have found the building blocks of life on Mars, or they may not have.
    Oh ok that's cool did they have a news article somewhere or something? I've never seen anything about it.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Oh ok that's cool did they have a news article somewhere or something? I've never seen anything about it.
    Yeah they had a press conference like a month ago or something.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...very-revealed/

seems like they found nothing of consequence to your average Joe
    On Monday, Dr. Grotzinger said he was referring to the richness and quality of the data coming from Curiosity’s sophisticated instruments on the soil sample, not that it contained a major discovery. Dr. Grotzinger and other Curiosity scientists said their analysis did not provide definitive evidence for the building blocks of life as some had speculated.
    We don't get to have a pet Martian just yet.

Deleted
    apparently, scientists claim that there is a very high chance that Earth 2.0 will be the highlight of 2013.
    Let us all hope we find a planet with dinosaurs.

Deleted
    What happened was people who call themselves "reporters" (glorified bloggers sitting at home in their underwear "reporting" on "news") wrote on some sites (*cough* huffpo *cough*) that there would be some huge news incoming, after having read an interview with one of the NASA scientists, and misunderstood what he said.

Fact checking? What's that?

Deleted
    Shame, would be nice to have some really good news for a change, it has been doom and gloom for the most part this year.

The problem is, if we DO find anything in this solar system relating to life - it won't be alien. With the amount of transference of materials between planets in our solar system (it happens all the time) it would be a MUCH bigger surprise if we did find something in this solar system that wasn't related to us. If we did find bacteria of some sort on Mars, or wherever else... no big deal. It might be a little surprising to see how it evolved differently if it was over a vast amount of time, but it wouldn't be alien in origin.

The search for alien life has to be outside of our solar system.