Replacing GPU fan for a Geforce 9600 GT?

The fan on my graphics card is starting to make all sorts of grinding and buzzing noises so I guess I'll have to replace it but I'm not sure where to get a decent fan.

I've been looking at http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vg...o-l2-plus.html, it supposedly fits my card but it's quite expensive and also looks unnecessarily "advanced". I don't see the pont in spending extra money on something that is more than I need it to be.

Does anyone know of any other decent fans that would fit an XFX GeForce 9600 GT and is cheaper than £12? I'd preferably want the original fan but I guess you can't buy the proper ones?

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, the Arctic Accelero L2 was also my first thought, but at £12 it really is expensive. In Germany you can get it for 13€, which would be more like £10-11. But for that you get a really good cooler, which would be enough for a good deal more powerful cards (basically any card, that has one 6p PCIe connector, aka up to 130-150W).

The 9500GT does not produce a lot of heat, so if you are looking for a cheap solution, how about this:
    Remove the fan from the card (but leave the heatsink in place) and get yourself a cheap 80mm case fan. Strap that fan under the card with some cable ties, and you're good to go. Cooling performance should be enough and it will probably a lot quieter than before.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-...brushless-2pin (you might be even able to connect this directly to the original fan socket on the graphics card, as it has a 2pin connector)
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-...led-quiet-22db (alternative to the above, with a normal 3pin connector)
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    I don't think that graphics card is really worth saving to be honest, for a little more than the fan you could get a second hand 8800/9800 GT which is miles better, although just as dated.

I would honestly just drop some money and get a far newer graphics card...You're card is pretty outdated and not worth saving IMO..I would suggest a gtx 650 or 660 if youre on a budget, or perhaps a 670/680 if money isn't an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderspace View Post
    I would honestly just drop some money and get a far newer graphics card...You're card is pretty outdated and not worth saving IMO..I would suggest a gtx 650 or 660 if youre on a budget, or perhaps a 670/680 if money isn't an issue.
    If they're saying $15 is too expensive, I think $200 just maybe, maybe might also be too expensive too.

Though I agree, the card is outdated, for $15 you can get a fan, but for maybe $30 you could just get a new card. There are 9600/9800 cards out there for that price range.

Hmm, I've been looking on ebay and found a really cheap GTX 465 SC that has apparently been 'superclocked'. I've heard bad things about overlocking and am a little dubious about buying a 2nd hand "superclocked" card. Do you think it's worth it? (it is extremely cheap atm).

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. Some are factory "Superclocked". Some are not. Would need to see the actual card to determine.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The money you are going to waste on a card that hardly runs any games these days is better spent on an actual upgrade. To be honest, a Radeon HD 7750 or a GT 640 are going to be loads better in terms of performance, energy efficiency and heat output.

10+ Year Old Account
    Superclocked just means they raised the clock speed just a minor bit above the stock clocks. Usually is either 1. doesn't require a voltage increase or 2. required a voltage increase but is still within safe limits of the GPU. EVGA(Which is likely the brand of that GTX 465) is a brand that offers Superclocked cards and they test them extensively before they sell them.

I would advise against a GTX 465 though. They were hot, and extremely power hungry cards that were discontinued as soon as the GTX 460 quickly replaced it. I would aim for a used GTX 460 if anything in my opinion since they run significantly cooler than GTX 465's.

Ive owned a gtx 465 for over a year now and ive never seen it go over 72c (that is during the summer when AV went out) in wow it never tops 60c. I own this galaxy model :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162052

If you can get one cheap do not hesitate, they are good cards that got a bad rap simply because they were too expensive when they were released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ive owned a gtx 465 for over a year now and ive never seen it go over 72c (that is during the summer when AV went out) in wow it never tops 60c. I own this galaxy model :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162052

If you can get one cheap do not hesitate, they are good cards that got a bad rap simply because they were too expensive when they were released.
    Then you're quite lucky. Most often (including the one I owned before it burned up) they run 80-95C on a regular basis and use far more power for less performance than the GTX 460.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...card-review/11

35 watts more at load is not far more power, you are thinking gtx 480.

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 09:56 PM ----------

Also do not get it twisted, gtx 465 is a faster card than the 460. The benchmarks were famously tweaked when the 460 came out to make the 465 look bad in relation (smart move on nvidia's part).

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...card-review/11

35 watts more at load is not far more power, you are thinking gtx 480.

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 09:56 PM ----------

Also do not get it twisted, gtx 465 is a faster card than the 460. The benchmarks were famously tweaked when the 460 came out to make the 465 look bad in relation (smart move on nvidia's part).

35w is a lot for a GPU that uses 140-160w. The 465 uses a disabled GF100 GPU, which in comparison is pathetic compared to the GF104. Anyone with even half a brain knows the GF104 was superior to the GF100 in the 465. It had a higher clock efficiency, used less power and as I said ran cooler; The 460 was also shorter in comparison. I would not compare the 480 to the 460 as they were in separate price brackets.

The only reason anyone with a brain bought a GTX 465 was to UNLOCK it into a GTX 470. Otherwise, In the end the GTX 460 was superior in every way.

Google it, you'll see many more people saying the same thing Unless the 465 Unlocks, a 460 is a better option.

I owned both the GTX 465 and two GTX 460s. My EVGA GTX 465 ran an average of 85+ on max load in furmark and was loud as hell. My GTX 460 on the other hand never broke 70C on max load in furmark.

At first I thought the 465 had bad thermal paste, but no after changing it multiple times the temperatures still were out of control. I even undervolted it to prevent it from hitting 95C or more.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...he-200-king/17
    Last edited by Saithes; 2012-12-29 at 05:03 AM.

Sigh, my point here is if he can find a gtx 465 for extremely cheap like he said ( i imagine under 50 dollars) he shouldnt hesitate to buy it. I dont know what to say man, ive owned my card since last august and it is the most reliable video card ive ever owned, ive never even had a driver crash which is saying a lot when you look at the wow forums and how many people with 500-600 series cards are having that issue. Im playing wow on ultra at 1080p right now and my vid card is sitting at 51c.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 12:12 AM ----------

I think i should add that when i bought my GTX 465 i got it for 129.00 with free shipping, this at a time when gtx 460 1gb models were selling for close to 200 dollars. I did my research fully when i bought my card and im glad i made the decision that i did. It is possible you did not do the same.

This review is what made me pull the trigger, check out the massive heatsink on my card, extremely well built on the inside even tho the outside is cheap looking plastic:
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1317/3/

10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh, my point here is if he can find a gtx 465 for extremely cheap like he said ( i imagine under 50 dollars) he shouldnt hesitate to buy it. I dont know what to say man, ive owned my card since last august and it is the most reliable video card ive ever owned, ive never even had a driver crash which is saying a lot when you look at the wow forums and how many people with 500-600 series cards are having that issue. Im playing wow on ultra at 1080p right now and my vid card is sitting at 51c.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 12:12 AM ----------

I think i should add that when i bought my GTX 465 i got it for 129.00 with free shipping, this at a time when gtx 460 1gb models were selling for close to 200 dollars. I did my research fully when i bought my card and im glad i made the decision that i did. It is possible you did not do the same.

This review is what made me pull the trigger, check out the massive heatsink on my card, extremely well built on the inside even tho the outside is cheap looking plastic:
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1317/3/

Yeah that card actually looks nice. Sorry for jumping the gun a bit in my last post. I do agree if he can find it for around $50 or less it would be a worthy upgrade to his 9600GT, but at this point you can find GTX 460s for around the same price as 465s. It's not a bad GPU, my original point was simply that you can get better value out of a 460 since it typically runs cooler and uses less power. I absolutely despised my EVGA GTX 465 for how hot and loud it ran and I'd just hate for him to buy it and have the same problems I did with it overheating.

To save you all the arguement I'll just tell you that it turns out I cant actually power a 465 with my PSU.

Budget-cards right now include the 260 - a really decent card with no DX11 support, but plays pretty well at 1080p/60fps at med. The 5850 - these go for about 60 GBP to 80 GBP, can play most games maxed at 1080p 60 fps. Only gets you about 2 to 4 samples of AA/ASF though. The 460 is also pretty nice but i dont have one so i cant comment.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Hmm, I've been looking on ebay and found a really cheap GTX 465 SC that has apparently been 'superclocked'. I've heard bad things about overlocking and am a little dubious about buying a 2nd hand "superclocked" card. Do you think it's worth it? (it is extremely cheap atm).
    I bolded the pertinent portion. If it is functioning it is worth it.

everything is better than 9600, just get a new card

dont bother with the fan.