RIFT could have been a great game, but a number of things killed in in the first 2-3 months:
- The players wanted World PvP, not battlegrounds. Trion didn't listen.
- Warriors were horribly overpowered until the first major patch.
- Adam Gershowitz (Lead Designer) buffed his pet class (Pyromancer) to a CC-immune one-shot machine with the first major patch, similar to what he did in WAR with his Bright Wizard.
- You could only queue for Battlegrounds with 5 players, but the smallest BG was 10vs10. So depending on your server you always played together with 5 brainless PvE spec tanks in crap gear against 2 premades.
- PvP gear was absurdly powerful and the grind for it horrendously long, so certain groups who farmed literally 24/7 from release and used a certain bug exploit to get unlimited points were able to effortlessly shit on everyone else for months to come.