Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
Why do you insist on telling someone else what they should get? And your pricing information is wrong - most PCs equivalent to the Air are in the same price range.

God, the arrogance. "I don't think she needs.... " She doesn't need the 'quick boot times..."

You're comparing a cheap knockoff with significant compromises (i3, HDD vs SSD, VGA for god's sake) to an Air. Sure it's cheaper. It's designed to a price point

Again, why do you feel the need to tell her how to spend her money and what she should use? If she wants an Air and can afford it, what business is it of yours? Or are you one of these annoying computer know it alls who simply must opine on the tech choices of your friends?
She specifically asked for input, so I am providing my input. Since I am not particularly familiar with this sector of computers, I figured I'd ask for some opinions. If you'd care to actually provide some PCs that are equivalent to the MBA I'd be more than happy to hear what you have to say. I'm making my choices surrounding what I already know about how she'll be using it, but since I don't know precisely what she wants, I have to make assumptions. As a school/teacher's use, I assume boot/loading times are unimportant. If you think shaving 30 seconds to a minute on that is important to a schoolteacher, I may consider that, but I am more than happy to save her $300 and put in an SSD in that Vivobook myself.

I'll be perfectly honest, I didn't catch the i3 vs i5. That would put the MBA ahead in terms of power. The VGA, if you've bothered to read the thread, is wholly intentional. Again, she asked for opinions, and I am providing one. If she didn't ask, I wouldn't have asked here either.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
sure, but an ssd will seemingly extend the lifetime of a computer just because of the speed boost it provides while booting the computer and launching programs. she should be looking at the 13" macbook air for comparison anyhow which has a nicer processor than the 11"
I've been straight with her and told her that the Vivobook will have longer boot/load times than the MBA. I am honestly not certain which MBA she was looking at, I asked her for clarification. If it's the 13" model, I'll probably have to change what I recommended.

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 11:41 AM ----------

She is looking at a refurb 11" MBA, if that changes anything.