Deleted

[Resto] Some advice on my gear

Hey folks!

I've been wondering about my gear lately, in particular the gemming and reforging part. I used to know pretty much everything about Rdruids in cataclysm, but with Spirit now added to the gear and reforging mix I'm having trouble getting a grip on it.

Here's a link to my armory, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Deleted
    Hi,

I would have gemmed for intellect and haste until cap, and then reforge rest to mastery - if you´re satisfied with your regen. Stronger heals > more heals, throughput > regen.
    You currently sit on 8.6k spirit, wich should be plenty, depending on your play style ofc. I sit at 6.9k spirit and have yet to go oom.

Here´s a link to how I would have gemmed/reforged with your current gear, but I kept your regen gems in head piece as I don't know how you feel your regen is.
    Link: wowreforge.com/Profiles/5155802?template=Hit=5100+,Haste:0.8,Spi:0.75,Crit:0.6,Mastery:0.65
    Last edited by mmoc579e9da9cc; 2013-01-01 at 11:14 AM.

Deleted
    Alright, quick update: I've got some great new gear and I've found 8k spirit to be plenty with my current playstyle (more rejuvenation-intensive than other druids). I am worried though that I can optimize my reforges/gems/enchants to get a bit more intellect out of it. I'm currently trying to reach ~8k spirit, >=3043 haste and maximize intellect, then mastery. I have a feeling though that I can reach just a bit more intellect (for instance, I am gemming spirit but at the same time reforging out of it). Can anyone help me see the forest again? Thanks in advance

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...areat/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I would change the rest of your 320 Spirit gems with Purified gems. I currently run with 7200 Spirit with 2 strong regen trinkets to compensate. Both of your regen trinkets are quite strong even if one is from LFR. In reality every extra 1k Spirit you add on lets you cast 4 extra Rejuvs every 3 (or maybe 6?) minutes. Either way that's not much. You are better off focusing on throughput and just being smarter about your casts. Otherwise everything looks good. Consider upgrading some enchants when you get more high end gear (like the Int Bracer enchant), but I would wait until you get something much better.
    I blog about Resto Druid stuff at WTS Heals.

Deleted
    Thanks a bunch! I took a look at your blog and it's been great to read thus far!

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenate View Post
    In reality every extra 1k Spirit you add on lets you cast 4 extra Rejuvs every 3 (or maybe 6?) minutes. Either way that's not much.
    Can u link this? I remember seeing this a long time ago but it just doesn't feel like that... I've been able to get 2 sets of mixed gear, one with "only" 8.5k spir and another with 10.5k spiri (swaping trinks with static spir, another helm with a spir meta gem, etc) and I can say that the second build feels pretty good to play, as if I can toss a lot more heals or do higher burst with more glyphs regrows without hurting my mana much. I mean, some fights just don't need that much spir for sure (i.e. sha, hm garajal, etc) but some other fights like elite protectors where u got a ton of aoe damage going out it feels amazingly good. Last week on hm feng I endup the fight with a shit ton of mana, it feels like we can actually drop the 3rd healer and just 2 heal it... It doesn't feel like just a few more rejuvs, it might be just my impression... Anyways, I tried this build after seeing another top resto druid going for 12k spirit and so far it's been really good for throughput fights.

PS: my view is from 10 mans, slowly progressing through heroics (4/16 now).

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 05:59 PM ----------

OP: I don't understand ur decision about ur legs gem, using a brilliant over a purified... You contradict ur self when ur shoulder has the same slot type (red) and yet u have a diff gem.

Reforge wise, when I look at ur overall reforge numbers I see that you have reforget OUT of haste on some gear (think is ur neck item) but yet you use gems with haste... Maybe if u rollback ur reforge on ur neck you can swap one of the int/haste gems for a int/mastery (can't remember now it fits yellow) or maybe the zen wild one (spir/mastery - the one i use for yellows). Maybe this is unnecessary and I'm just being picky

10+ Year Old Account
    OP:

Dont' get hung up on where a stat comes from (reforge, gem, enchant, gear). Gearing strategy is the same, really and how you adjust stats is just a tool. In general you want to gear like this:

SPI until regen is OK. Regen being OK does NOT mean you can spam inefficiently and get away with it or that you end up with 50% mana at the end, but rather assumes that if you're playing well you'll be able to heal as you need to for the entire fight and not OOM at any point. When I say this I also assume that you'll use Innervate and perhaps a mana pot during the encounter. Obviously if you're playing with bad DPS that stands in stuff or heal very inefficiently you'll need more regen, but...

Once you can heal without running into OOM conditions, INT. You can cast the heals you need to cast at this point, now make each cast heal for as much as possible.

Then secondary stats - haste usually to 3043, then mastery or vice versa depending on style and preference. So, if you have more spirit than you need to feel comfortable and you're ending up with tons of mana at the end of fights, reforge some of that spi into another stat, haste or mastery. I know people will fight over the exact weights of secondary stats, but... eh. Unless you're doing heroics, that's not as important - yes, hit the 3043 haste breakpoint, but after that it's just not as important.

looks fine to me.

you have the 3043 haste breakpoint, then all mastery. then you just need to decide how much spirit you need. you have 7500 atm, and if you don't have any mana issues, then that's fine.

could use some actual healing trinkets, but i'm assuming you don't have any yet though the alchy one isn't bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    OP: I don't understand ur decision about ur legs gem, using a brilliant over a purified... You contradict ur self when ur shoulder has the same slot type (red) and yet u have a diff gem.

Reforge wise, when I look at ur overall reforge numbers I see that you have reforget OUT of haste on some gear (think is ur neck item) but yet you use gems with haste... Maybe if u rollback ur reforge on ur neck you can swap one of the int/haste gems for a int/mastery (can't remember now it fits yellow) or maybe the zen wild one (spir/mastery - the one i use for yellows). Maybe this is unnecessary and I'm just being picky
    I am trying to get as close as I can to optimal values. That is: 3043 haste, 7.5k to 8k spirit and then as much intellect and mastery as possible. Sometimes you are 10 haste short for 3043 (for example) and then a gem will give you way too much. Reforging out of haste can then be an option. If you can find a way in which I can keep my haste/spirit levels and increase my intellect/mastery, feel free to show me how!

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 12:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    looks fine to me.

you have the 3043 haste breakpoint, then all mastery. then you just need to decide how much spirit you need. you have 7500 atm, and if you don't have any mana issues, then that's fine.

could use some actual healing trinkets, but i'm assuming you don't have any yet though the alchy one isn't bad.
    I logged out in the wrong gear. I actually have Spirits of the Sun and the Dark Moon trinket

And as a reminder: I am fully aware of breakpoints, stat interaction, spell priority and all that good stuff. I just want to know if I've overlooked any serious flaws in my reforging and gemming
    Last edited by mmocc6a2f4dac8; 2013-01-14 at 11:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by achareat View Post
    I am trying to get as close as I can to optimal values. That is: 3043 haste, 7.5k to 8k spirit and then as much intellect and mastery as possible.
    At the risk of telling you things you know... there's no spirit amount that's 'optimal'. If you can heal with 7k spi, do that and reforge the extra away. If you need 8k (though I doubt that), do that. But don't keep spi around if you're ending fights with lots of mana - that's an indication that you have too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    Can u link this? I remember seeing this a long time ago but it just doesn't feel like that... I've been able to get 2 sets of mixed gear, one with "only" 8.5k spir and another with 10.5k spiri (swaping trinks with static spir, another helm with a spir meta gem, etc) and I can say that the second build feels pretty good to play, as if I can toss a lot more heals or do higher burst with more glyphs regrows without hurting my mana much. I mean, some fights just don't need that much spir for sure (i.e. sha, hm garajal, etc) but some other fights like elite protectors where u got a ton of aoe damage going out it feels amazingly good. Last week on hm feng I endup the fight with a shit ton of mana, it feels like we can actually drop the 3rd healer and just 2 heal it... It doesn't feel like just a few more rejuvs, it might be just my impression... Anyways, I tried this build after seeing another top resto druid going for 12k spirit and so far it's been really good for throughput fights.

PS: my view is from 10 mans, slowly progressing through heroics (4/16 now).[COLOR="red"]
    I'm fairly sure I read it somewhere on EJ. I'll have to go digging for it, but I know it's fairly accurate. Investing in throughput stats is typically the better way to go. Hamlet from EJ did a great post on his blog about why more Spirit isn't the answer.
    I blog about Resto Druid stuff at WTS Heals.

^Not directed at you, but the important thing to note here is that more Spirit isn't the answer to an inefficient playstyle, where RJs are spammed all day long. It does not mean that one should completely ignore Spirit.

To the OP - As others have rightfully pointed out, there is no right or wrong answer to how much Spirit one needs. Top druids have run with 12k Spirit but others have also successfully healed encounters with far less.

The longest and one of the more healing intensive fights I've personally done this tier was Heroic Shek'zeer 10M, where I ran with around 8.2k Spirit IIRC. My decision was based on the following:

a. It was a 15 minute long fight, and people typically gravitate towards Spirit on encounters of this length. However, there are frequent periods of light healing where you can regenerate mana.
    b. We were running with 4 healers (although we did 3 heal a few attempts up to the final phase pre-nerf without reforging).
    c. I could get mana tide totem, hymn of hope, feral innervates (lol but 20 to 24k over the fight), and I had own regen from 2 trinkets and a potion of focus.
    d. I was going through 2 HotW DPS cycles, which is 90 seconds of not spending any mana.

As you can tell, if I wasn't getting tides or hymns, I may have considered grabbing more Spirit. I believe it is beneficial to take stock of all that is available to you before making gearing decisions.
    Ashr