View Poll Results: Where to visit spring 2013?

Voters
265. This poll is closed
  • Japan

210 79.25%
  • Korea

55 20.75%

Thread: Japan or Korea?

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Japanese people are sometimes wierd for the western world, very wierd

Deleted
    South korea all day everyday, really want to go myself

I'd be inclined to go to Korea, but only because I'm more familiar with the food and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    If you're not in a tourist area or a more urban area like Tokyo, 'outsiders' are treated very awkwardly. Japan has been like an introvert in comparison to the rest of the world (not like North Korea introvert).
    You should read the article. A lot of mentioning is that they prefer it the 'old fashion' way.

Japan has started changing, however saying about credit card for one part is heavily culture related.

Having the means to do so is not the same as actually doing it in the fashion that you see fit.
    It doesn't matter WHY they do it the old fashioned way.

They do it the old fashioned way.

Going to Japan expecting it to be like stepping into a sci fi film would be like going to Pennsylvania Dutch country expecting high speed internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Herp derp then don't travel to the small villages?
    Since when did "outside major city" = small village? If any post should get a "herp derp" response, it's not his.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Their inability to apologize for their atrocities acts against China and Korea during the height of their empire is causing problems to the point to where they want to get rid of the 1945 treaty and arm themselves far beyond their self defense force.Just because they don't engage in actual warfare doesn't make them a peaceful nation.
    Are you happen to be Chinese or Korean? These 2 nations seem to be the most butt-hurt about their past, and the fact that they are Tokyo's neigbour does help fuel their hatred. And I'm speaking from a Vietnamese's view point - our country has its fair share of war atrocities and destruction, Japan imperialist was majorily responsible for 20 thousands famine death during 1944-1945, but we dont hold our grudge against them. Nor against American for Vietnam war. And in recent decades we even embrace the South Vietnam, aknowldege its inheritance. After all we paid for the South's debt to the US. Did America or Japan apologze for their war crimes? No. Do we - the current AND prervious generation - care about it? Not that much.

Might be offtopic, but I do want to share my thought on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Are you happen to be Chinese or Korean? These 2 nations seem to be the most butt-hurt about their past, and the fact that they are Tokyo's neigbour does help fuel their hatred. And I'm speaking from a Vietnamese's view point - our country has its fair share of war atrocities and destruction, Japan imperialist was majorily responsible for 20 thousands famine death during 1944-1945, but we dont hold our grudge against them. Nor against American for Vietnam war. And in recent decades we even embrace the South Vietnam, aknowldege its inheritance. After all we paid for the South's debt to the US. Did America or Japan apologze for their war crimes? No. Do we - the current AND prervious generation - care about it? Not that much.

It doesn't say much for a country when it lets others shit all over it and doesn't even want an apology. Some might call it masochistic.

Like I said, we dont care much, we dont even demand an apologise for American and Japanese war atrocities. Its the attitude that counts. (I myself tend to put the blame on particular generation, not the nation as a whole). Cant say the same if its China though, a thousand years of constant border contest and (failed) invasions taught us to always watch out for that big bad greedy bastard. Thats why I said being in the neighbourhood of Japan fueled Korea and China's hatred.

I'd pick Japan, because I'm a weeaboo person with healthy interest in Japanese culture and history.

I voted Japan, but keep in mind the local Koreans like Foreigners MUCH more than the local Japanese.

Did America or Japan apologze for their war crimes? No.
    I don't know why people keep saying this. That the Chinese and Koreans refuse to accept or even acknowledge the apologies, doesn't mean that no apologies were issued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ssued_by_Japan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I'd pick Japan, because I'm a weeaboo person with healthy interest in Japanese culture and history.
    That's true... the culture is absolutely fascinating, especially if you break away from the tedious bustle of cities such as Tokyo and go to where such customs are valued and still practiced. I know there's a village where they continue making katanas and other blades the exact same way as they did hundreds of years ago, including the tools and equipment that they used.

I'm not quite sure what I would like more. I find Japan more interesting culturally and historically, but I know far more about Korea, especially the Hanyang area.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I don't know why people keep saying this. That the Chinese and Koreans refuse to accept or even acknowledge the apologies, doesn't mean that no apologies were issued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ssued_by_Japan
    I was refering to American and Japan's apology to Vietnam.

Go to Japan. Despite what a lot of people are saying they aren't racist. The biggest reason for having signs up saying no foreigners is because they've had bad experiences in their establishments with them. I've been living in Japan for 4 years now, married a local, and I plan on staying here after my time in the Marines is over. Also a lot of the bigger stores, malls, and such do take credit cards. Hell even the cabs, or honchos as they call them here, have credit card machines in their cabs. Too many people are talking out of their ass in this thread.

Deleted
    I like both Korea and Japan, but I think Japan is probably better because of the culture?

I don't know but I think I'd rather go to Japan first, although I would love to go to Korea too.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an English speaker, I think you'd have an easier time in South Korea than in Japan, and I think you'd be a bit more readily accepted as well. You're going to look like a tourist either way, but at least you should have an easy time of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go to Japan. I've always wanted to go there and just explore it and see things and just experience their culture since I'm really into Japanese culture. Only thing though, I hear it's mega expensive to go to Japan but I've never really seen how much everything is. But I wouldn't go by an online forum poll, go where you're are most interested in. Think of some things that you like about Japan over Korea and vise versa. Then go where you have the most interest in.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I would rather go to South Korea - maybe because i watched "Lost in Translation"

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

The relationship between China and Japan is like the relationship between a dysfunctional couple at a restaurant. When the wife gets mad at the husband for ordering the wrong dish it isn't because of this particular situation. It is because the husband never listens to her.

Same concept applies in this current situation concerning the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands. While the chinese are challenging Japan's ownership of the islands. The tension is more about the deep rooted grudges held against the Japanese during their occupation of China then it is about the resources these islands hold. (

screw both of them

Infracted.

This kind of post ins't constructive.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-12-29 at 09:48 PM.

Will be missed ~