Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Megathread] Zelda Wii U 2014

Tech Demo for the game

Although it is currently untitled, the set release date is 2014 (most likely we will be seeing this at E3 this year).

It was also stated that this game will be the biggest and most expensive project Nintendo has ever done (with one of the biggest teams they have ever had a on a game on it). They stated the world and soundtrack would be bigger and although there would be a similar amount of dungeons as before, these would be, "vastly bigger in scope and vary greatly" (It was said that the test run of the forest dungeon of the game was bigger than Hyrule Fields in Ocarina), it was also said some of the dungeons will be broken up into 3 parts because of their size, each part taking hours to complete.

Here are the details stated by Nintendo of the forest dungeon in the game, “The first test dungeon they made was a giant forest running on early and buggy Wii U hardware — the dungeon was bigger than the Hyrule field in Ocarina, and the whole thing is one dungeon. You use the gamepad to navigate, avoid traps, follow clues etc. It’s dark, lush, with a ton of trees, foliage, some which you have to cut your way through. Its scope and details are unlike anything you’ve seen in a Zelda game”

As for online play Nintendo states, “Online multiplayer was never on the drawing board, they’re sticking with the tried and tested Zelda formula. It’ll have some online features like Miiverse and some sort of system where players can leave hints and help each other in the dungeons. That’s about it”.

And as for the game pad implications in the game, “everything in the game is built around the controller and its unique abilities. Every single feature in the controller is used to its full potential. Some of this stuff is still in early stages of development, but they’ve already implemented enough to show just what’s possible with the new controller. They showed some of this stuff to key third party devs behind closed doors last year to get them to realize the possibilities of the new tech.”

Also some more encouraging words spoken about the gameplay, "It’ll have some revolutionizing gameplay. It has stuff that would never be possible on any other console, and it’s not just one cool feature, it’s one cool feature after another. Each dungeon will offer a different gameplay experience with the tablet controller. It’ll be the most innovative game ever, they got stuff that will be copied by others for years.”

The game will feature a "grown up" Link, it was also stated the game will be in in full high-definition with a new, "state of the art graphics system which was built from the ground up", and will feature, "the most advance visual features Nintendo has ever made". It will also use many third party technologies like Havok and Umbra. It was also said the Zelda clip you saw at E3 2011 was just a technology demonstration by a different team using an older engine. (So it's safe to assume that was just scratching the surface.)

sources
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/zelda-f...report-6394633
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/29/zeld...ssed-by-iwata/
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/05/zeld...leaked-report/
    http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-z...e-coming-2014/

EDIT:
    The game is looking like it's going to be coming out late 2014 or early 2015. It was said that they were ready to show it at E3 this year but chose to wait.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/11...a-wii-u-at-e3/
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2013-06-12 at 06:53 PM.

Oh, good, 2014! That gives me plenty of time to actually buy a Wii U.

If I buy it sometime in June of 2013, the first system update should finish just in time for Zelda! Haha I kid, I want another Wind Waker.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Oh, good, 2014! That gives me plenty of time to actually buy a Wii U.

If I buy it sometime in June of 2013, the first system update should finish just in time for Zelda! Haha I kid, I want another Wind Waker.
    It actually is sounding like it will be a game a new Ocarina and how it was to the franchise in terms of gameplay, graphics, and scale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh well, seems like i'm getting myself a Wii U soon. I hope it'll be as good or better than ocarina, that was honestly the best time of my gaming time. Also glad it'll be out in a year or so, still havent cleared twillight princess

Let the specula flow.

the only reasons to buy a wii u is the nintendo trifecta -- metroid, zelda, and mario

I'm not going to believe anything quite yet, but this would be amazing if true.

If there's one thing for sure, it won't look anything like the tech demo. Compare the Gamecube tech demo to the finished product. Even Twilight Princess looks a lot better.
    I for one would love a game that looks like the old concept art, but I don't know how likely that is.
    Last edited by Duruka; 2012-12-29 at 04:39 AM.

Holy crap. If the dungeons are that sprawling I may have to quit my job when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    I'm not going to believe quite yet, but this would be amazing if true.

If there's one thing for sure, it won't look anything like the tech demo. Compare the Gamecube tech demo to the finished product. Even Twilight Princess looks a lot better.
    I for one would love a game that looks like the old concept art, but I don't know how likely that is.

OH 2014. I was about to complain that I didn't want to buy a Wii U but by then I guess if the price is down...

OH GOD I googled it and a Wii U costs $300. I wouldn't mind but I swear to God after Wii Sports and a few games my parents and friends got for me for my birthday that I never played, I only ever played Zelda on that thing and had to buy a fucking $40 remote.

Idk I guess I'll see when the game comes out how good it is lol. Looks okay, I don't actually like the graphics if it's like that. It's not bright enough.

Edit: Lol read some posts about graphics and all that. Whatever let's wait a year and find out more then.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Idk I guess I'll see when the game comes out how good it is lol. Looks okay, I don't actually like the graphics if it's like that. It's not bright enough.
    Pic above related, they never actually make the game look like the tech demo. Besides, it just looks like the Temple of Time from TP redone.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Pic above related, they never actually make the game look like the tech demo.
    Even the graphics on that demo are quite sweet.
    I'd play it with those, my mind's not ready to grasp a zelda of a even more beautiful scale.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Awesome. Can't wait till 2016.
    Toshinou Kyoukoooo! Such a mean troll!
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2012-12-29 at 04:13 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

I hope there is no form of motion control in this game. Motion control killed Skyward Sword for me.

Quote Originally Posted by paperfire View Post
    I hope there is no form of motion control in this game. Motion control killed Skyward Sword for me.
    They were originally going to continue with motion controls, but I believe in a more recent interview they said they would go back to traditional controls. It will almost certainly incorporate the second screen though.

I highly doubt we will be swinging that wii pad around, you may need to use it some, but it probably wont be as heavy as Skyward Sword. My guess.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    They were originally going to continue with motion controls, but I believe in a more recent interview they said they would go back to traditional controls. It will almost certainly incorporate the second screen though.
    But yeah they already confirmed, there will be the use of the wii u pad, but in a whole new way that wasn't mentioned.

So expect traditional gameplay combined with new innovations with the wii u pad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehh doubt it. Most controls are going to the pad thingy. You 'can' swing it, but it's dumb.

My presumption is the aiming would be a bit the same like it was sniping in ZombieU (hold up the pad infront of you) and such.

I'll wait for the PS3 port.

(((Yes, I am being somewhat serious. I wish they would just take the plunge already... :P)))