Thread: Change Food!

10+ Year Old Account

Change Food!

So I was thinking: there is an excellent feature in Star Wars: The Old Republic that I love. All classes have a special ability that restores all of their health and their special power (heat or force or rage) but is only usable out of combat. 30 seconds is all it takes to restore everything from 1%, but most of the time you only need a few seconds total.

Food in WoW is fairly useless. Mage food is useful only in that it's free, but it works the same as any standard food of the same level. You can also cook some interesting food choices that give you a stat buff, but beyond that there is little use except during leveling for classes that can't heal or you didn't level first aid on. The problem is that it takes too long overall to restore health, especially if you're in heirloom gear. The food was never designed for people who have double the HP it restores.

I suggest taking the feature of SWTOR and putting it into WoW, but I also don't want to ding mages. So what I say for them: the food they conjure gives you a 250 stat bonus to your main stat (akin to a banquet) if you choose to use it. Perfect for people who don't have access to their food, on par with banquets, and prevents mage food from being worthless. Of course, cooking your own 275 - 300 is a perfectly viable choice. Add in this feature to help those leveling to move on from battles quickly and keep moving. No one wants to sit around for so long eating food and then eating more just to heal up after a particularly protracted or poorly completed fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    So I was thinking: there is an excellent feature in Star Wars: The Old Republic that I love. All classes have a special ability that restores all of their health and their special power (heat or force or rage) but is only usable out of combat. 30 seconds is all it takes to restore everything from 1%, but most of the time you only need a few seconds total.
    Food, if it is the right level, takes about 10 seconds not 30 - why ask for something that could take 3 times as long to fix you?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No one wants to sit around for so long eating food and then eating more just to heal up after a particularly protracted or poorly completed fight.
    Allow me to introduce myself. My name is No One. I miss the rotation on down time flow of the old days in raids. I really do. I miss the days where down time was the expectation instead of the mind less grind rush. I miss the days of casters being more than gogogogogo robots, i miss it dearly

Edit:

Also SWToR's idea is food, it is simply food that does not take inventory space and has a cooldown

Deleted
    the way the food heals now is good enough, maybe in the past it didnt completely heal you so there was some food like harvest event food with %wise healing that was better.

also most people have self healing that relies on quick resource regen when out of combat

Regarding removing food and giving the inherent ability to regenerate, it's not a bad idea, but it doesn't seem particularly necessary. The classes with healing spells can easily heal themselves after battles rather quickly, if it's even necessary, and most other classes either have self-heals or pets to keep themselves going. I know my hunter has essentially zero down time as it is. Beyond that, first aid seems far more useful this expansion (though the guild perk helps with that as well), so even if you do need a bit of down time that covers it amply.

Regarding mage food giving stat buffs, that's an idea I like a lot, particularly with the way you suggested it being set up. It lets everyone get a baseline level of stat buff essentially for free, with the good buff still being found through cooking. The only possible change I would make would be to make the mage food even a little weaker (225 maybe?), so that anything you get from cooking is still superior, but the mage food is a nice backup for people who don't cook.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering they just added a farm, I don't see any major changes coming to the food system.

I think it works well currently. Although a buff to mage food is always welcome ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffa View Post
    Food, if it is the right level, takes about 10 seconds not 30 - why ask for something that could take 3 times as long to fix you?
    At level 90, sure. At other levels with heirloom gear, no, it can take a while if you're near death.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Also SWToR's idea is food, it is simply food that does not take inventory space and has a cooldown
    It has no cooldown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffa View Post
    in SWTOR the "food effect" channels up to 30 seconds as far as i recall, but in absolutely every chase, even if you're down to 1% of your health, you'll be maxed out after about 10 sec ... so just 2-3 sec if you're lightly injured.

but as much as i like that feature, i don't see it coming to wow...
    blizz has invested too much in the new food and cooking system that they won't throw it all away in the near future.

When I played SWTOR, I personally loved this feature. It was one of the few things they really did right in the game.

Btw is it any good right now? I've been thinking about more and more coming back.

After my guild and I cleared all content (the one raid at launch) on all difficulties in..2 weeks, we just kinda quit cuz, ya know, it was super easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    in SWTOR the "food effect" channels up to 30 seconds as far as i recall, but in absolutely every chase, even if you're down to 1% of your health, you'll be maxed out after about 10 sec ... so just 2-3 sec if you're lightly injured.

but as much as i like that feature, i don't see it coming to wow...
    blizz has invested too much in the new food and cooking system that they won't throw it all away in the near future.
    And I don't want to see it thrown out. You get no stat buff from regenerating, and adding a stat buff to mage food makes it a poor-mans stat food. Nothing you can rely on, but better than nothing. You can meditate in the field to restore stats quickly and move on while still cooking food for raids/dungeons.

Also, we'll stay on topic, please. This isn't a thread to discuss coming back to, or the state of, SWTOR

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Considering they just added a farm, I don't see any major changes coming to the food system.
    this for sure. theres def not going to be any shift away from 'food' as we know it. also, as has already been stated, the current system refills you super quick outside of those pesky last 2-3 lvls where ur mana/hp pool is a lil too big for the current food. and even those last couple lvls until a 'new water' remind you that this resource actually does need to be filled to a comfortable lvl to play/act comfortably.

The only thing about this is, food isn't totally useless. An entire market is set up around selling mats, and a secondary profession around generating useful and desirable food. Food buffs are still important, more so than the restorative effect. The other thing too is classes than can drop out of combat really fast, mages, rogues, hunters, could drop combat and instantly restore their health, in addition to other abilities. I make a lot of gold selling cooking ingredients from my alts ironpaw dailies, I don't wish to see this source of income dry up, its the only one not ruined by CRZ.