Thread: SSD questions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I own 3 SSD's. 2x 128gb (Corsair) and a 256gb 830. I don't think a single item (upgrade) has provided such a boost to general running of a computer. I won't build another with out an SSD in.

The longevity issues on SSD are a non starter for me. I think most people looking at SSD's upgrade frequently enough to not have any concerns. I am looking at getting a larger SSD just so more software can be run from an SD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bags- View Post
    <SNIP>

TLDR: SSD are great for load times, pointless for WoW due to its short load times.
    I'm sorry but you're just plain wrong and it's been "proven" multiple times. There is definitely a difference in loading times, just do a Google search/Youtube search etc. and you'll see. I guess maybe if you're running WD black, zero addons you might not see a huge difference but it'll still be there. The only reason (that I can think of) not to put a game on your SSD is if you're running out of space.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-12-29 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I'm sorry but you're just plain wrong and it's been "proven" multiple times. There is definitely a difference in loading times, just do a Google search/Youtube search etc. and you'll see. I guess maybe if you're running WD black, zero addons you might not see a huge difference but it'll still be there. The only reason (that I can think of) not to put a game on your SSD is if you're running out of space.
    Games load faster = they are faster in total. The difference in WoW is small, but there is a difference. The difference in SWTOR is enormous! I would never install SWTOR on a mechanical drive but I could install WoW on one, provided it is a fast drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    WoW loads up in ~ 1 second on my 7200 RPM HDD. WoW loads up in ~ 1 second on my SSD. I'm sorry but I timed it and that was the result. Both are around instant for me. Given the size of WoW I don't think miliseconds of load speed improvement is worth using up 1/6th of my SSD.

Now a game like Planetside 2 sees real improvement with an SSD. Like I said before, that game went from 3 minutes to 30 seconds.

WoW loads up in ~ 1 second on my 7200 RPM HDD. WoW loads up in ~ 1 second on my SSD. I'm sorry but I timed it and that was the result. Both are around instant for me. Given the size of WoW I don't think miliseconds of load speed improvement is worth using up 1/6th of my SSD.

Now a game like Planetside 2 sees real improvement with an SSD. Like I said before, that game went from 3 minutes to 30 seconds.
    Then you must be using absolutely no add ons and loading into an instance. Because with all my add ons it used to take me about 30 seconds to 1 minute to load. But now with my SSD it is less than 5 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by reohh View Post
    Then you must be using absolutely no add ons and loading into an instance. Because with all my add ons it used to take me about 30 seconds to 1 minute to load. But now with my SSD it is less than 5 seconds
    Or, loading in to a city or even a non-CRZ area on a low-pop realm, or during very early in the morning when nobody else is about.

I remember when I first got my SSD back in WOTLK - it took me about 5-7 secs to load into Dalaran at WoW's 'rush hour' (I think it was about 19:00GT), compared to like 20secs on my old HDD, which wasn't a bad drive by any means either, as it was a Samsung F3 SpinPoint. That was pretty amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for all the info everyone, I'll be sure to put it to good use. I came across this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...96&PID=3938566 and it seems like REALLY good value for a SSD, but is it any good?

Deleted

Kinda stopped reading after the bold text... That's not something the average user will experience but good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by deathtakes View Post
    Thank you for all the info everyone, I'll be sure to put it to good use. I came across this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...96&PID=3938566 and it seems like REALLY good value for a SSD, but is it any good?
    It seems it's out of stock but yes that was a pretty good deal for a 480GB drive. Something ~250GB should be fine though that's enough room for OS, programs and a bunch of games.

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB (one of the more reliable drives out there)
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

I wanna see a video of that. You, loading WoW in Org/IF during the afternoon on a normal populated server. If you cant show that, then I say you're lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    I wanna see a video of that. You, loading WoW in Org/IF during the afternoon on a normal populated server. If you cant show that, then I say you're lying.
    Yes, I'm obviously lying because I have so much to gain from doing so. I'll try to remember to make your vid tomorrow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shML5...ature=youtu.be

One second to launch, ~3 seconds to load into Stormwind mid Sunday on a high pop server. ~15 seconds from desktop to game including login. On a 7200 RPM HDD. I don't think using 1/6th of your SSD on WoW is worthwhile based on that.
    Last edited by Bags-; 2012-12-30 at 09:08 PM.

I guess I must of lucked out with my OCZ agility 3 ssd. I've had it for about a month and no crashes or blue screens due to the ssd. I had just ordered a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00 that should be here thursday for my games since I'm starting to play more on my computer than my xbox 360.

Deleted
    Yes, I'm obviously lying because I have so much to gain from doing so. I'll try to remember to make your vid tomorrow!

One second to launch, ~3 seconds to load into Stormwind mid Sunday on a high pop server. ~15 seconds from desktop to game including login. On a 7200 RPM HDD. I don't think using 1/6th of your SSD on WoW is worthwhile based on that.
    0:08 - 0:15 = 7 seconds and characters are still loading on the screen as the video ends.

It's still decently fast regardless but it's not ~1 second

Also the SSD helps when reloading your UI after a taint issue, trying to switch glyph's while raiding or any other time you might need to switch. Again if you're NOT running out of space why would you NOT put it on your SSD, makes no sense to me. However it's your choice and if you feel there is no benefit then more power to you, most users will notice a difference.

That's fast for a HDD, but I still saw 'invisible' characters that slowly re-appeared, one by one towards the end of the video.

Sure, it's not game-breaking and I doubt you're fussed about that, but with a SSD, all of this, whether you're zoning into an instance, city, etc, just shows up instantly. I think most users won't ever get their HDDs to run that quick - I'm assuming you have a pretty decent CPU and GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    Only pro versions are performing, regular 830/840 are slower vs alternatives
    You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

830 are still amongst the fastest drives out there in the market (and it's not that the performance between different current SSD drives would mean much to average user, you won't notice the difference if you're not using it for databases or constantly moving files) and 830 is one of the most reliable if not the most out there.
    People at xtremesystems wrote 6336 terabytes on 830 256GB until it died while the write speed was still around 300MB/s. Try that on OCZ drives and get back to us with results.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deng View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

830 are still amongst the fastest drives out there in the market (and it's not that the performance between different current SSD drives would mean much to average user, you won't notice the difference if you're not using it for databases or constantly moving files) and 830 is one of the most reliable if not the most out there.
    People at xtremesystems wrote 6336 terabytes on 830 256GB until it died while the write speed was still around 300MB/s. Try that on OCZ drives and get back to us with results.
    who in their right mind would write such amount of data to a single ssd? (and ironicly that would never be an average consumer.....)
    that it can write that much data is fine however with other drives still being estimated around 10 years of lifetime atleast.
    one is safe to assume tech has moved on in the next decade...... (or do you plan to give you 830's to your grandchildren?)
    also inregards to the OCZ comment atleast that one would have been faster, in the end time is money.

who in their right mind would write such amount of data to a single ssd? (and ironicly that would never be an average consumer.....)
    Noone. It is as much irrevelant as your differences in speed. But that only shows that you can write 2TB a day, for 365 days a year, for 9 years, it's just very reliable memory where OCZ has a bad track of puting random, even non-spec memory into their drives (they replaced such drives though).

also inregards to the OCZ comment atleast that one would have been faster, in the end time is money.
    And no, you will not notice the 0.01s difference when loading games. And still, 830 is faster in real world average use (more reads than writes, 4-5 queue depth) than Vertex 4. The differences are absymal though.
    Last edited by Deng; 2013-01-02 at 09:55 AM.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the size of WoW I don't think miliseconds of load speed improvement is worth using up 1/6th of my SSD.
    I'm assuming the 18 second video which wasn't even done loading is your HDD, and not your SSD, with the point you're trying to make. Regardless, just because you load it fast once, doesn't mean much. How many people do things like.. change zones. Switch characters? Anything that involves loading is cut down. It might seem like a little, but going from my old non-ssd system to a new SSD system... Having to reload mods or update DBM takes 15 seconds instead of a minute or more. That's a big deal in the middle of a raid. Not to mention anywhere else. I actually shut my computer off and reboot now, since it only takes about 15 seconds, instead of 2 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just thought id throw this thread in here, ive not tried it yet but might do once the rest of my pc arrives.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1128184
    Cuts down the install on the ssd to around 14gb instead of 20 supposedly.

i likely be one of the only who'll say to not get a samsung one. (sub par performance)
    vertex 4 or new corsair neutron series would be my pick at this time.
    i agree with this get a vertex 4 they are great ssd only brand i use

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    just don't use it as a movie/music database and you should be fine.
    also for gaming performance it only is improved loading screens, however for overall performance a system just speeds up allot and because way more responsive.
    If you move into a new area, but don't have a loading screen, say for instance in World of Warcraft, you are flying from the Mage's District in Stormwind through the Trade District and then into the Dwarven District... it will load textures each time you move around and people come in and out of your sight, essentially. SSDs help take the 'hiccup' out of that, as HDDs have a rough time in populated cities, especially on the bigger servers.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water