Thread: SSD questions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    one is safe to assume tech has moved on in the next decade...... (or do you plan to give you 830's to your grandchildren?)
    Can we move on from this comment? You keep saying it. You're defending Vertex4 yet you don't even have one and you're so "obsessed" with some speeds that really won't much of a difference for the average user other than showing of in benchmarks. Samsung 830 is not ancient, with that logic how can you still live with a vertex3, Z68 board etc.

Vertex4 is a fine drive and I'm glad you love it. OCZ track record has not been great but they've made changes and I'm sure it's much better now. Samsung 830/Crucial M4 has proven to be really reliable (important to a lot of people) and still has great performance even if they don't win overall benchmark rewards. That is why we still recommend them. With the firmware fixes to Samsung 840/pro I have no problem recommending those either although personally I still prefer 830 over 840 because of the different NAND used. 840pro is good but usually cost more. Either way I think the horse is both dead, beaten and buried so I'll refrain from bringing it up again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Can we move on from this comment? You keep saying it. You're defending Vertex4 yet you don't even have one and you're so "obsessed" with some speeds that really won't much of a difference for the average user other than showing of in benchmarks. Samsung 830 is not ancient, with that logic how can you still live with a vertex3, Z68 board etc.

Vertex4 is a fine drive and I'm glad you love it. OCZ track record has not been great but they've made changes and I'm sure it's much better now. Samsung 830/Crucial M4 has proven to be really reliable (important to a lot of people) and still has great performance even if they don't win overall benchmark rewards. That is why we still recommend them. With the firmware fixes to Samsung 840/pro I have no problem recommending those either although personally I still prefer 830 over 840 because of the different NAND used. 840pro is good but usually cost more. Either way I think the horse is both dead, beaten and buried so I'll refrain from bringing it up again.
    cmon no need to make it personal...... (and who knows what kind of evil master plan i got to make my rig a true speedmonster?)
    joking aside im happy with my current performance and for a gen old ssd my vertex 3 still is top notch.
    my general choice of ssd is based that after a certain amount of durability it is better to look for other aspects of a ssd like speed.
    also the comment i made perhaps a few times around here was mostly because people were talking about samsung 840's like they were the 2nd coming of the ssd's which annoyed the crap out of me tbh. (newer series with worse hardware =/= better in a nutshell as you also phrased differently)

anyway lets just keep the damm horse 12 feet underground and call it a day shall we?

Deleted
    Sounds good and fyi there is nothing personal other than the fact I was replying to you.

yes they are damaged by constant re-writes. worst culprets would be defragging and torrenting. simply - never defrag a ssd you only need to defrag spinning disks (hdd's), there isnt even performance gain from defragging an ssd. and torrent to a hdd and move files over after. the only game i own ive really noticed improvements on is ARMA2 and wow. i hear mmo`s love being on ssd's. Just make sure you get an ssd supporting the "TRIM" command. not going to go into detail but trim reduces the damage caused by excessive re-writes by simply not deleting anything when you tell it too, and lies to you saying theres nothing there. when its full it then writes over the top of said data thus reducing the write ammount quite dramaticly. TRIM also requires windows 7 and above, but who in the world uses anything below 7 nowadays
    Last edited by thunterman; 2013-01-03 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have an SSD Question, figured I'd post in this thread rather than create my own:

I'm planning on purchasing an SSD today, looking @ the 120gb sizes, and my final comparison is between the Intel 330 vs Crucial M4.

330 = 99.99
    M4 = 109.99

I'd be getting a second Vertex 4 (have one in my laptop and fucking love it) but they're not 99.99 like they once were back in August, the store I'm buying from has them listed at 134.99 LOL

Which would you choose?

I'm not worried about reliability as I'll be opting in for the $15 warranty CanadaComputers offers with a straight off the shelf exchange, 3 SSDs per year for 5 years (+2 years of MF Warranty) if I have the terrible luck that would require the full use of it :P
    Last edited by Vinho; 2013-01-16 at 04:13 PM.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Deleted
    pick the intel one out of the options you linked. (both are reliable but intel is faster and cheaper, no reason not to pick it tbh)

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking the 330, but was caught up with the marketing gimmick of the M4's "fastest SSD on the planet" blah blah blah, wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on it :P
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    I was thinking the 330, but was caught up with the marketing gimmick of the M4's "fastest SSD on the planet" blah blah blah, wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on it :P
    crucial drives are more known to be slower (older series mostly) but are/were very reliable during sandforce times with their marvell controller.

Deleted
    They're not slow. Mostly the difference will be noticed in benchmarks, you know where it doesn't really matter for most. Shroudster might tell you differently though.

They're not slow. Mostly the difference will be noticed in benchmarks, you know where it doesn't really matter for most. Shroudster might tell you differently though.
    I agree with this and also in the end the Crucial will end up being faster since it doesn't suffer as much performance drop over time and doesn't have the issues with writing incompressible data as Sandforce based drives do.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5817/t...-120gb-180gb/7
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    well it depends on what you or me defines as slow.
    ssd's are on the market with speeds between 200-550 mb/s read/writes at this point, i'd say if one drive is +- 100 mb/s slower it is significantly slower compared to what is out there for similar prices. (but even those what i would call "slow" ssd's would make and HDD pale in speed comparison)
    wether the speed difference is noticeable is questionable but is there any reason not to get it when both product are equal in all other aspects? (including pricing)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well it depends on what you or me defines as slow.
    ssd's are on the market with speeds between 200-550 mb/s read/writes at this point, i'd say if one drive is +- 100 mb/s slower it is significantly slower compared to what is out there for similar prices. (but even those what i would call "slow" ssd's would make and HDD pale in speed comparison)
    wether the speed difference is noticeable is questionable but is there any reason not to get it when both product are equal in all other aspects? (including pricing)
    Theoretical sequential max speeds means nothing when it comes to SSD, you won't use them for large file transfers anyway. What you are really after when looking at an SSD is access time, IOPS and speeds at 4K or lower.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Also the 330 is Sandforce which I would generally avoid but it's Intel so that counts for something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there any performance tests we can look at for boot times / WoW load times?

As mentioned I really don't / shouldn't care about theoretical max read speeds.... but sustained (and good) performance is another thing.

Are there any performance tests we can look at for boot times / WoW load times?

As mentioned I really don't / shouldn't care about theoretical max read speeds.... but sustained (and good) performance is another thing.
    You will have to look trough a bunch of reviews for both disks and maybe you get lucky and find one that have done those tests.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You will have to look trough a bunch of reviews for both disks and maybe you get lucky and find one that have done those tests.
    difference is likely a few seconds tops .
    boot times are also determined by motherboard chipset.

I'm considering purchasing a 2nd ssd before I make my final build due to the fact that the case I have, (Fractal Design R4) has 2 2.5 ssd slots on the case, and you want to mount them pre-installation of the mobo.

What's a good size and recommendation for one that would be mainly for OS (Windows 8 pro 64bit), antivirus and other misc. 60gb seems like it might be a tad small, add that I'm not sure there a lot of the higher performing drives being made in that size either, thus considering the 90gb to 128gg size range.

I wouldn't consider buying anything less than 120/128GB right now.

Also can't you put 2.5" drives in the normal 3.5" bays as in the earlier revs?

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I wouldn't consider buying anything less than 120/128GB right now.

Also can't you put 2.5" drives in the normal 3.5" bays as in the earlier revs?
    you can, just on the R4, they mount on the back side of the mobo mount so they won't take up much space and leaves drive bays open. My plan is to actually take the main drive bay panel out since it's removable so I'll have better airflow, use the bottom panel just for 1tb storage hd. Thus, 1 ssd for OS stuff, and a 256gb ssd for gaming,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811352023

Well if you already have a 256GB SSD then a 128GB would be enough to just put OS and programs on.