Thread: SSD questions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Well if you already have a 256GB SSD then a 128GB would be enough to just put OS and programs on.
    A 128GB would have a lot of extra space, honestly.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    A 128GB would have a lot of extra space, honestly.
    Yeah but why go for a 64GB which usually suffer a bit in speed and still cost like 70-80% of the cost of a 128GB?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but why go for a 64GB which usually suffer a bit in speed and still cost like 70-80% of the cost of a 128GB?
    I suppose.

I do personally want to add a 256GB+ to work with my 128GB. The 128GB will have OS, programs, Rift, and some non-Steam games, with the 256GB being essentially a Steam-disc.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I suppose.

I do personally want to add a 256GB+ to work with my 128GB. The 128GB will have OS, programs, Rift, and some non-Steam games, with the 256GB being essentially a Steam-disc.
    Yeah same, I was planning to add a 256GB Samsung 830 but it seems like they are pretty much done on the Swedish market. So I guess I'll be waiting for the 840 Pro to drop a bit in price.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking Crucial m4 or their next version. They've not done me wrong!
    "A flower.

Yeah same, I was planning to add a 256GB Samsung 830 but it seems like they are pretty much done on the Swedish market. So I guess I'll be waiting for the 840 Pro to drop a bit in price.
    Keep an eye out for deals on OCZ's "Vector" drives. They've gotten nothing but glowing reviews and seem to be the only consumer SSD to surpass or match the 840 series.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Keep an eye out for deals on OCZ's "Vector" drives. They've gotten nothing but glowing reviews and seem to be the only consumer SSD to surpass or match the 840 series.
    I'm still very skeptical about the OCZ brand though.

Also the OCZ Vector 256GB costs €246 in Sweden while Samsung 840 Pro 256GB costs €206.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-01-19 at 11:02 AM.

Eh, the Sandforce fiasco was so long ago, and it wasn't their fault. They could have handled the returns better, but they still weren't the people making the defective controllers.

Ever since they've been spot on.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Eh, the Sandforce fiasco was so long ago, and it wasn't their fault. They could have handled the returns better, but they still weren't the people making the defective controllers.

Ever since they've been spot on.
    I'm just on the fence about the company as a whole at this moment, and unless I don't have another choice I just won't buy their products for a while.
    Really don't want to make this into another OCZ argument but there are more things I don't like than the Sandforce issue. (I do own a Sandforce drive)

I got two intel drives, one 320 120gb in a laptop and one intel 330 180gb they are very reliable. The 330 loads stuff faster than my i7 can process it (all 4 cores on max CPU during windows login - takes around 4 seconds from entering password until i can brows the web). 180 is good enough for a few games (wow + eve online + battlefield + flavor of the month) and some office/dev stuff (office, visual studio...), the other games i keep on my 1TB raid0.

Something to note, it is generally VERY good to move your Users folder off the SSD. Cant remember how I did that but it saves me loads of space not having all the crap downloads/documents/pictures/music on the SSD. Also move away iTunes library and things like Steam folder.

120gb I think is on the low side but if you are not having visual studio and java dev stuff I guess it would be good.

Have not heard about any disasters in recent times with any of the "brand" drives. I think the technology matured enough by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrax View Post
    Have not heard about any disasters in recent times with any of the "brand" drives. I think the technology matured enough by now.
    Everyone is waiting for that F-Up now :P Technology (imo) will never reach a point where it will have matured to the point of not having problems. Speaking ofc in a general sense not just with SSD production
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."