Beginning assembly of first build. Please advise!

Before I begin let me give you my parts information:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($289.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($185.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake VN10001W2N ATX Full Tower Case ($209.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($398.98 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9100 Wired Slim Keyboard ($127.86 @ Newegg)
    Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231628
    5 after market 120mm fans, four to set up push/pull on the h100 and one for an additional optional case fan spot on the bottom of the case.

Okay, so this will be my first build, and i'm quite anxious to say the least. ive been saving for months for this moment and i cant afford to mess up. ive read the instructions on this site, ive read the pc gamer instructions, and ive watched hours of instructional videos; newegg videos were very insightful.

what concerns me are the little things, the vital little steps, that are easily overlooked. for example the motherboard standoffs need to be double checked to be exactly correct.

Now i'm thinking it is a good idea to use the "bios flashback" feature asus provides before putting anything together so that when the time comes there should be (hopefully) less compatibility/recognition issues.

one thing i would have never known had 1 guy not casually mentioned it in a video is the necessity to set up ssd's in "ahci mode" or something like that before allowing windows to install, somewhere in the bios. i should be able to look that up on google just fine. however....

are there any other vital little steps like this that are easily forgotten and i probably dont know about? honestly i just told you guys everything i can think of that is easily overlooked so i really may be missing something here, because everything else seems fairly straight forward.

obviously once i have windows 8 installed i need to start installing drivers.

the mobo has several i believe, then there is the vid card, audio card....

what tools can i use to monitor temperatures for everything and can i do this before i install windows? i heard its a good idea to let it "cook" after building it and monitor temps for a few hours before installing anything. so any pointer on temperature and performance monitoring?

I know there are programs like heaven to test your build's capability and ensure proper functionality.

also though i should be testing my ram i believe looking for "errors." what other specific parts should i be checking once its all put together?

I really appreciate any and all help any of you can provide.
    Thank you very much.

edit:
    are there any actual difference between these two gigabyte gtx 680's?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125442
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125422

i got the first one because it is cheaper and it looked exactly the same only the second is factory overclocked which i could learn to just do myself.
    Last edited by MastaMcKay; 2012-12-29 at 07:54 AM.

The $10 more expensive Gigabyte is more overclocked. 1071 vs 1006 base and 1137 vs 1058 boost clock. However, with their new tech the cards dynamically overclock themselves if you're lucky. My stock card beats my friend's factory OC'd card when running Battlefield 3 because I got lucky. Up to you if you thing $10 is worth it or not.

As for ACHI in BIOS for your SSDs, you will need to look up that for your own motherboard's BIOS. For example, on my MSI board I believe the option for "ACHI vs. IDE" was under "Internal Peripherals". It could be in the same category for yours or not, I'm not that familiar with non-MSI boards. Do this before installing Windows.

Honestly on my first build I just followed some videos on youtube. Just make sure you keep yourself grounded by touching a case or getting an anti-static wrist band, don't use too much thermal paste (a drop or so if I recall correctly), and most parts don't take too much pressure to put into place (except for closing the CPU's containment features). A tip on installing RAM: get it locked into one side first, then the other. Much easier than trying to push it in level, in my experience. Don't touch the underside or the top of the CPU. Lay it in very gently; zero force.

I use CPUID's HWMonitor to monitor temps, and you can use something like Prime95 to make sure your CPU and RAM are fine.

Question: do you do anything other than gaming? Because if you don't, the CPU and RAM are probably overkill.

My Asus Maximus V Extreme did all that automatically, and on top of that you can save multiple BIOSes. Is there a specific reason for you going with an i7 over an i5? You can save the price difference between a premium motherboard and an average one by "downgrading" your CPU. If you are a gamer and don't run heavy CPU related tasks the extra money spent on an i7 is money down the drain.