Massive FPS drop

Computer Score:

I just built the computer and 4-5 hours in playing my fps dropped in WoW from 450 to 30-90fps. I'm pretty sure we cant notice a difference past 60 FPS but what would cause such a huge drop? Any ideas?

Heres the specs:

I7-3770k
    16G DDR3
    120G SDD
    300GB Sata Hard drive
    MSI Geforce 660 TI GPU
    Not that temps reflect the the FPS but comps stays around 80°F-90 under full load.

With everything running I'm using 3g/16 and 15% of my CPU usage

I've pretty much had the same issue, although it has happened slower than yours did...
    It's happened in all of my games pretty much.

Deleted
    First of all 450 fps, indicates you might want to enable Vsync. if that dosnt do anything then try to lower the multisample to x2 or x1 in wow. alot of people have been having fps drops in MoP it seems.

First of all, Windows Experience index tells us nothing about your hardware. And second how exactly is 30-90 FPS bad? The average of 30-90 is 60 and that's the highest FPS you can get with your monitor. ( Unless you have 120hz ) But as said above, enable vsync.
    Last edited by Nab; 2012-12-29 at 03:17 PM.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    heh, my FPS in orgr is always around 45, don't know why exactly, but it certainly isn't my GPU or CPU. I've never seen my 680 even bother trying to get 60 FPS there.

Quote Originally Posted by neohobeo View Post
    First of all 450 fps, indicates you might want to enable Vsync. if that dosnt do anything then try to lower the multisample to x2 or x1 in wow. alot of people have been having fps drops in MoP it seems.
    MSAA shouldn't be an issue here, a 660Ti is poweful enough to run WoW maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    First of all, Windows Experience index tells us nothing about your hardware. And second how exactly is 30-90 FPS bad? The average of 30-90 is 60 and that's the highest FPS you can get with your monitor. ( Unless you have 120hz ) But as said above, enable vsync.
    I know thats why I said " I'm pretty sure we cant notice a difference past 60 FPS" It was just a curiosity more then anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Excentric View Post
    I know thats why I said " I'm pretty sure we cant notice a difference past 60 FPS" It was just a curiosity more then anything.
    We cannot notice true action past 30 frames per second, we can depict video games and cgi @ or below 30 fps easily. As you guy up in refresh rate and producing equal or better frames you will notice what appears to be smoother animation. Keep in mind human eyes don't "shutter" so the faster frames are forced out the closer to TRUE motion we get. You may however notice incomplete frames, so if 1 of every 30 is incomplete every second you'd have a very minor jitter, something you may or may not see depending on you. Myself @ 60Hz I can see dropped/incomplete frames easily, @ 30 even more so, but it is easier @ 30 to keep 100% rendered frames. I also believe you were getting horribly inaccurate readings, Im near certain there is a cap around 200~ fps in wow. I never remembering seeing past 250, so 450 seems a bit unlikely, especially w/o cooking your gpu.

With your primary hard disk subscore at 5.9, I am assuming you have your Sata drive as your primary drive and not your SSD? If your SSD is your primary drive, did you set it up in bios as AHCI?

I doubt this would affect fps, but your index score would go way up with SSD as primary.

Deleted
    Have you tried disabling all add-ons and then check if the problem still occurs?

450 fps in WoW, really likely. 30-90 fps is great actually with maxed settings. I get 40-90 with a hd 7970. 40-60 in crowded areas and 70-90 in open areas. You will see FPS drops in mmorpgs because they are CPU dependent when there a masses of people on the screen.

I'd recommend turning AA to 4x instead of 8x that will greatly increase FPS and you won't see a difference at all.

Put on vsync. Your graphics card won't heat up to 80-90.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 05:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post
    heh, my FPS in orgr is always around 45, don't know why exactly, but it certainly isn't my GPU or CPU. I've never seen my 680 even bother trying to get 60 FPS there.
    I get 40-60 fps in org on a HD 7970, equivalent to your gtx 680. When you are in crowded areas you will get reduced FPS just like any MMO. There is more stuff to render and heavily relies on your CPU. You will get reduced frames.
    Last edited by dezzick; 2012-12-29 at 05:12 PM.

Personally i wouldn't recommend turning on VSync. It just causes massive fps-drops for me and believe me, my computer is in perfect condition and my drivers and software. Keep Vsync off and limit your fps from the wow ingame frameratelimiter. Sure if you get a lot of tearing, then enable vsync.

Oh and i can personally notice the difference between 60-120fps and 60hz/120hz. I have a 120hz monitor.

If your build is new, make sure all your drivers and windows updates are installed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakuski View Post
    Personally i wouldn't recommend turning on VSync. It just causes massive fps-drops for me and believe me, my computer is in perfect condition and my drivers and software. Keep Vsync off and limit your fps from the wow ingame frameratelimiter. Sure if you get a lot of tearing, then enable vsync.

Oh and i can personally notice the difference between 60-120fps and 60hz/120hz. I have a 120hz monitor.

If your build is new, make sure all your drivers and windows updates are installed.
    Whats the point of running the gfx card against redline all the time if it only needs to run @ 50% to match screens refresh rate?

Just makes pc noisy and wastes electricity if not using vsync if pc can do 60/120 fps easily.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excentric View Post
    Computer Score:

I just built the computer and 4-5 hours in playing my fps dropped in WoW from 450 to 30-90fps. I'm pretty sure we cant notice a difference past 60 FPS but what would cause such a huge drop? Any ideas?

Heres the specs:

I7-3770k
    16G DDR3
    120G SDD
    300GB Sata Hard drive
    MSI Geforce 660 TI GPU
    Not that temps reflect the the FPS but comps stays around 80°F-90 under full load.

With everything running I'm using 3g/16 and 15% of my CPU usage

There is a extremely good explanation. What you noticed - You probably downloaded WoW but not the fully thing, and over time after it downloaded itself to maximum you downloaded every particle and texture. Also graphic got sharper. That is the reason. You can't get 400+ FPS in WoW all the time.

This is irrelevant to your problem, but if you want a 7.9 out of your memory go into the bios and enable XMP profile, this will set your ram to the speeds it is rated for (basically a warranted overclock, 100% safe). That is unless you purchased 1333mhz ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    This is irrelevant to your problem, but if you want a 7.9 out of your memory go into the bios and enable XMP profile, this will set your ram to the speeds it is rated for (basically a warranted overclock, 100% safe). That is unless you purchased 1333mhz ram.
    Yea but 7.8 isn't his lowest WEI, he has 5.9 from HDD. It is also wishy washy that you get 7.9. You can get it today and in 2 hours get 7.8.

Actually about the 450 fps thing wow has a cap at 200 fps so his kind of bsing their, I'm sorry that I'm using these words. Unless he went in the wow setting and forced it to go from 200 max fps to what ever he preferred like how you can force wow to use all cpu cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Velthari View Post
    Actually about the 450 fps thing wow has a cap at 200 fps so his kind of bsing their, I'm sorry that I'm using these words. Unless he went in the wow setting and forced it to go from 200 max fps to what ever he preferred like how you can force wow to use all cpu cores.
    The cpu force is a bit fake, it allows WoW to use 4 cores but still only as if 2 cores are fully utilized, it's still better this way though, equal stress on cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    There is a extremely good explanation. What you noticed - You probably downloaded WoW but not the fully thing, and over time after it downloaded itself to maximum you downloaded every particle and texture. Also graphic got sharper. That is the reason. You can't get 400+ FPS in WoW all the time.
    yeah maybe that was it