Question Why is Dancing Steel > Windsong?

I might be missing something obvious, but if windsong procs our highest stat, crit.

Why do warriors go dancing steel if strength is under crit?

Just looking at my AskMrRobot

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/illidan/blitzo
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

WoW characters:
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Warlock] -
    Gluttony [Mage]

Thats because STR at the moment still bigger statweight or SEP or whats it called. AMR just weights the stat value and determines purely on those numbers that 2x dancing steel is best.

next, windsong doesnt procs your highest stat. it just randomly procs mastery, haste or crit

However I think the best option is to go with dancing steel on MH and windsong on OH
    Noctus <Darkblade>
    This is who we are
    This is what I am
    We have no where else to go
    Divided we will stand

Thanks for the quick answer!

WoW characters:
    Gluttony [Mage]

Windsong doesn't only proc Crit. You can have 3 procuptime, if I remember correctly: 1500 Crit, 1500 Haste and 1500 Mastery.

Dancing Steel gives a flat strength bonus. Don't forget that however Crit 'can' be better then strength, it definatly isn't always better (to be more specific, I have 2 Fury warrs atm, 491 ilvl TG and 482 ilvl SMF, Both sim STR>Crit). And they're always close enough to keep Dancing Steel as mainhand enchant. Offhand is a different story. Simcraft sims Dancing Steel > Windsong. However, some warriors still choose to use Windsong for offhand (for example: Landsoul).
    Last edited by Beauterham; 2012-12-29 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beauterham View Post
    Windsong doesn't only proc Crit. You can have 3 procuptime, if I remember correctly: 500 Crit, 500 Haste and 500 Mastery.

Dancing Steel gives a flat strength bonus. Don't forget that however Crit 'can' be better then strength, it definatly isn't always better (to be more specific, I have 2 Fury warrs atm, 491 ilvl TG and 482 ilvl SMF, Both sim STR>Crit). And they're always close enough to keep Dancing Steel as mainhand enchant. Offhand is a different story. Simcraft sims Dancing Steel > Windsong. However, some warriors still choose to use Windsong for offhand (for example: Landsoul).
    Yeah, what I had assumed is that windsong procs were always the highest stat. I didn't look closer to see that it was random.

WoW characters:
    Gluttony [Mage]

Don they proc both at the same rate?
    strength is still stronger then crit. the reason you gem crit is because critgems have double the amout of stats then strength gems.
    2x dancing steel can proc at the same time. and since 1650 strengh> 1500 haste, mastery or crit dancing stee should clearly win. the only reason i could think of windfury being stronger would be if it procs more often. but then u wouldnt use dancing steel at all...

Windsong doesn't only proc Crit. You can have 3 procuptime, if I remember correctly: 500 Crit, 500 Haste and 500 Mastery.

1500, not 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    1500, not 500.
    checked it, you're absolutely right... edited post.

Landsoul and other warriors are using windsong in offhands because they can still get better weapons and tier is done so there is no need to min max unless you want ranks at WoL.

@OP, using two Dancing Steel benefits you more and will in future because we will be able to get more crit from gear.

Don't forget that however Crit 'can' be better then strength, it definatly isn't always better (to be more specific, I have 2 Fury warrs atm, 491 ilvl TG and 482 ilvl SMF, Both sim STR>Crit).
    This, in addition to windsong proc'ing the terrible haste and not very great mastery. I've never seen crit > str for my fury war. I don't know why everybody says crit > str like it's such a ubiquitous fact. Right now with crit is 80% of strength for me. I'm sure it's the other way around sometimes for some people, but I sim after every piece of gear change, and I've never seen it for myself.

A quite common reason to use Windsong for offhand is definitely the price difference since a lot of people use a weaker weapon in offhand and that one is first in line to be upgraded, hence no reason to pay for an extremely expensive enchant that might get replaced shortly.

The reason you would want Windsong on your OH is for the double proc. Dancing steel can only proc one time per weapon where as you can have 2 procs from Windsong regardless if you are using 1 or 2 weapons. So dancing steel + 2 windsong would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    I might be missing something obvious, but if windsong procs our highest stat, crit.

Why do warriors go dancing steel if strength is under crit?

Just looking at my AskMrRobot

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/illidan/blitzo
    Crit is the stat you want to gem, because you get twice as much points as strength gems. Strength is still a better stat overall, when you don't factor in gemming.

Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    Crit is the stat you want to gem, because you get twice as much points as strength gems. Strength is still a better stat overall, when you don't factor in gemming.
    Actually at high gear levels crit can overtake strength. E.g. simming Landsoul as TG gives crit as being worth 1.07 strength. I don't think SMF reaches that point this tier - e.g. simming Oixte gives crit as being worth 0.97. Possibly in bis with upgraded weapons as engineer.

Ofc it's not that simple - they're both engineers and so not using the rep trinket, which results in an increase in the value of crit relative to strength. A non-engineer using the rep trinket would see crit worth less compared to strength.

Regardless, windsong only gives around 15% uptime on the crit buff (and 15% on haste, and mastery), compared to 40% uptime on dancing steel, which is what makes dancing steel superior, at least at the gear level attainable in this tier. In later tiers it is conceivable that, as the value of secondary stats rises relative to strength, windsong could overtake dancing steel.
    Last edited by Rhia; 2012-12-31 at 12:24 AM.