Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Maybe it doesn't top because, even though it's very important, people don't think it will be possible because movies and TV shows, so a lot of people think it's impossible/fake.
    Actually, if anything, people overreacted to that news. All that has happened is that somebody worked out a way to reduce the energy requirements of a theoretical warp drive -which still has to be built from exotic materials that as far as we can tell, don't actually exist in the universe. It's really just an exercise in mathematics at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Actually, if anything, people overreacted to that news. All that has happened is that somebody worked out a way to reduce the energy requirements of a theoretical warp drive -which still has to be built from exotic materials that as far as we can tell, don't actually exist in the universe. It's really just an exercise in mathematics at the moment.
    One thing should be noted, however: While NASA is making great strides in the mathematics of warp physics, great progress is also being made in the creation of meta-materials, which can do some astounding things as far as bending light and space around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    One thing should be noted, however: While NASA is making great strides in the mathematics of warp physics, great progress is also being made in the creation of meta-materials, which can do some astounding things as far as bending light and space around them.
    Not to be a downer, but the FTL work is the dream career of every single nasa civil servant:
    - will to carry you till retirement
    - no need to show any progress
    - project is immune from critics

Factor in that each scientists costs a loaded rate or $750k-$1M per year.

While I am all for R&D, the bang/buck we get from nasa is horrible.

Just look at SpaceX for example. NASA could not fund a study for the amount that they designed, built, tested, and deployed their launch vehicle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Wait, Warp Drive?!?!?!!?!?

Now all I can think about is how I'll be dead by the time it's completed.
    It only took 40 years for Einstein to develop the quantum theory that led to nuclear fission. Depending on how old you are now, well if the whole "technology is growing exponentially" I'd say you will be very much alive when it's first tested on a SMALL scale. Maybe not full ships with people but still better than nothing.

How long do you think once we have those brain implant chips that they start implementing subliminal messages? You're sitting there solving world hunger with it and suddenly hear a whisper "Buy new Generic O's Cereal! It's aaaaverage!"

The warp drive definitely is a good sign for space travel, but even if they get it working I doubt humans will be able to survive the journey. That'll be a whole new hurdle. Still, one step at a time. Boldly go where no man has gone before.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-12-29 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe its because I absolutely love space epics like Mass Effect and Star Wars . . . but I hope the FTL drive actually fucking works.

I want to travel the stars some day, and do it without being forced into hibernation for centuries, knowing I can never return home.

But the real interesting stuff in here is all the Deus Ex: HR stuff, like the paralyzed woman moving a robotic arm, the artificial retina, the cybernetic hate crime, the amputee who competed in the Olympics, the robotic legs, etc. Transhumanism is coming and I'm putting my stock in Tai Young Medical and Sarif Industries
    Putin khuliyo

Bending light is one thing; I've never heard of material that can bend space? The basis of the Alcubierre drive is exotic matter with negative energy density. AFAIK we don't know how that could be possible in the real world. Or at least, how we could possibly get our hands on any.

Quote Originally Posted by rboa View Post
    No, not really true at all. NASA is one of the most cost effective Federal programs. People just like to bash NASA because they have no idea how little funding NASA gets, and they have no appreciation for the stuff that NASA actually do.

Just look at SpaceX for example. NASA could not fund a study for the amount that they designed, built, tested, and deployed their launch vehicle.
    Making up hyperbolic nonsense is very unconvincing. The SpaceX program costed about $1 billion. NASA's budget is $18 billion. What, you want us to believe that NASA's yearly activity amounted to merely 18 studies? Don't be ridiculous.

Curiosity costed a mere $2.5 billion, and that is a heck of a lot bigger project than 2.5 studies. Hell, Americans waste more money on the useless scamming alternative to real medicine known as homoeopathy each year.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-12-29 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why being called a cyborg would be derogatory?
    Maybe ask a disabled person whether they want to be addressed as a human being or a cyborg....

The cyborg one is totally not a futuristic prediction thing. Fake legs does not make you a robot human.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    The cyborg one is totally not a futuristic prediction thing. Fake legs does not make you a robot human.
    Those legs not only allowed him to run as well as natural athletes, but people argue that it allowed him to run even faster, which hints at the possibility of human augmentation actually being a possibility with our current technology within a few years.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Maybe ask a disabled person whether they want to be addressed as a human being or a cyborg....
    But they aren't disabled. They've been improved. Look at this
    http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...eedom-051412w/
    This soldier's leg was blown off by an IED, so they gave him a better one. His new leg will never become tired. It can lift more weight than his original leg. If the battery dies, it takes seconds to swap in a new one. If he had two of those legs and a pack full of batteries, he could run for days. His body will give out long before it does. He is in no way disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I would like to be addressed as beloved supreme leader of the world but people just call me Catta...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rboa View Post
    Not to be a downer, but the FTL work is the dream career of every single nasa civil servant:
    - will to carry you till retirement
    - no need to show any progress
    - project is immune from critics

Factor in that each scientists costs a loaded rate or $750k-$1M per year.

The big problem with NASA is actually that they have zero immunity from critics, especially political critics.

Every NASA project gets bogged down in politics as every politician in the US tries to get some part of the project to spend money in his/her state.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Those legs not only allowed him to run as well as natural athletes, but people argue that it allowed him to run even faster, which hints at the possibility of human augmentation actually being a possibility with our current technology within a few years.
    Until they modify actual body parts with robotics, I don't think they should call him a cyborg. I disagree that those improved his run speed - he didn't even medal. Hinting at the possibility of human augmentation is basically saying that it didn't happen this year, so, why is it on this list?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I didn't even hear about the guy with the Eye-Glass that got assaulted in Paris. I'm not looking forward to ANOTHER form of hate crimes in our life times.

The faster than light conceptual talks are amazing really. Glad that happened.

I also think communicating with a person in a coma is pretty substantial. A lot of people never come back from a coma so getting a main stream ability to talk with them... Would be amazing.

This list... It has me all up in happiness!

Aveline's amazing work!

Deleted
    These "news" come around quite strange... for example Warp-Drive:
    Nobody really has begun building a Warp-Drive, just a few scientists said that it could be possible to build something like that some time in the future and that they a doing some researches on this topic. It's a huge difference between really starting to build a warp drive after having acquired the knowhow and saying "hey we will see if something like this is possible".

It's like some early homo sapiens saying they want to start building a cathedral without even having invented the simplest tools.

We basically know how a warp drive could work since star trek, but in the end i think we will see something like it in at least 300-400 years if its even possible at all.

10+ Year Old Account

We knew it would happen sooner or later.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    2. NASA Starts to Work on a Faster-Than-Light Warp Drive
    Even if it's just a plan, better than nothing.