• Pope Benedict XVI visits Cuba and meets Fidel Castro

0 0%
  • ATF Gunwalking / Fast and Furious Scandal

2 3.85%
  • Falling unemployment in the US

0 0%
  • Obama endorses gay marriage

2 3.85%
  • EditGate - NBC News falsifies a video to make someone appear racist no investigation/accountability

1 1.92%
  • Facebook IPO

0 0%
  • Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker recall election victory

0 0%
  • New York Soda Ban

3 5.77%
  • Investment Bank JP Morgan loses $2 billion in hedge fund trading

1 1.92%
  • Obama re-elected

9 17.31%
  • Hurricane Sandy

15 28.85%

Biggest news Story of 2012

Vote on what you think was the biggest news story of 2012!

Deleted
    Where do we vote? ._.

Is there supposed to be a poll or do we just pick a random one?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    Where do we vote? ._.

Is there supposed to be a poll or do we just pick a random one?
    The thread must have got posted when I was editing it. Odd.

Deleted
    Sucks that most of the options are US related... but oh well.

I picked Hurricane Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Sucks that most of the options are US related... but oh well.

I picked Hurricane Sandy.
    Yah its tough with only 15 options and a year like 2012 where so many things happened.

I wound up staring at 5-6 options that absolutely had to be on there, and then a slew of others that I could mix n match. I got to make the executive decisions here, and I did!

10+ Year Old Account
    The NBC thing wasn't really the biggest news story, but it was absolutely infuriating. It exposed the horrible truth that media outlets have gone from "selective reporting" to just blatantly lying.

Deleted
    I feel quite stupid now, as I don't know what half those things are.....

Guess not being American, filters the news from there eh?

Put Sandy though, just due to the shear "natural majesty" of the thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    The NBC thing wasn't really the biggest news story, but it was absolutely infuriating. It exposed the horrible truth that media outlets have gone from "selective reporting" to just blatantly lying.
    When I looked at EditGate, I realized what set it apart from other scandals is that the rest of the media largely ignored it, no-one put much heat on NBC News, and they were allowed to sweep it under the rug without revealing anything. THAT is what made it a big news story. There should have been TREMENDOUS pressure for NBC News to reveal what happened and make some big changes. But there was nothing.

In some ways, it was the most shocking story of the year.

I believe Hurricane Sandy is the biggest story of those listed (and I can't come up with anything bigger).
    Seeing waves on the streets of Manhattan was a glimpse into the future things to come, if you believe in climate change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    When I looked at EditGate, I realized what set it apart from other scandals is that the rest of the media largely ignored it, no-one put much heat on NBC News, and they were allowed to sweep it under the rug without revealing anything. THAT is what made it a big news story. There should have been TREMENDOUS pressure for NBC News to reveal what happened and make some big changes. But there was nothing.

In some ways, it was the most shocking story of the year.
    I imagine it likely had something to do with other media outlets not wanting to draw attention to the event, lest their own similar actions be dragged out in to daylight.

Obama being re-elected was the biggest one on there, because it has the largest effect on all countries other than the US. Well, of those things listed, at least.

Deleted
    This thread is somewhat pointless. What it's asking really is what news outlets people use, and therefore what news or faux news people were bombarded with. This thread doesn't really go anywhere near the question of what were the actually important events of 2012.

I mean, it's not like news channels are interested in the news anymore.

Deleted
    I voted Hurricane Sandy. Was huge even here in Sweden!

I didnt vote, I dont even recognise half the stories.

Knew about 80% of the stories. Ended up voting Obama and gay endorsments. I quit liked that a offical person like him in USA would go out and say something honest from his own POV.

I was gonna vote europe greeks financial crisis, but then I tough to myself...They had it coming with the way they are running things.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kind of hard to answer this without defining "Biggest."

I mean in terms of global importance, it would have to be the EU financial crisis. In terms of importance to the US, it would have to be Obama re-election or Hurricane Sandy. In terms of what story captured the most media attention in the US, it would have to be Treyvon Martin, though that's less important than your pink slime option.

[republicans]And HEY WAIT! Where's the Benghazi option. That's like more important than 50 watergates plus two hurricanes! [/republicans]
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

The civil war in Syria must be the most reported news here in Sweden. Followed by the US election and the economic crisis in Europe. Most of those others things just blew over quite fast here.

If I was to rank them it would be like this.
    1 - Syria war, feels like this is on the news almost everyday.
    2 - Economic situation of Europe, same as above, reports on this is really common
    3 - US election/Obama re-elected - It was a big thing
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    OP should've put "other" as the last option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    [republicans]And HEY WAIT! Where's the Benghazi option. That's like more important than 50 watergates plus two hurricanes! [/republicans]
    Hey man, I didn't say a word about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Hey man, I didn't say a word about it.
    I know, I know, but I had to throw in a cheap shot...I figured it would show up eventually.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.