Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    I am currently working on a new meal plan for myself and this time I want to exclude milk. It's not because I am lactose intolerent but since I began working out and my milk intake rose, I have received many pimples on my back and face as well. Without discussing whether it's milk that causes this, which is BOTH proved and disproved, I think it's fair to give it a chance.

So while I am making this new meal plan, I notice that my Weight Gainer is extracted from milk! Luckily I dont have much left, so I'll soon buy some new, and I just discovered rice protein powder at the same store which is made of brown rice. According to the home page the only negativity rice protein has is that it tastes disgusting and it is harder to dissolve.

I tried to read some comments from people, and they agreed with the bad taste. Some said that because it is rice it also makes it take more time before the body will absorb it compared to whey protein, meaning it is not recommended after a work out, since your body needs the proteins + carbs 10 min after you are done but with rice it won't make it in time. True?

I also read something about taking amino acids with it. Why?

Any help?
    I use the vanilla flavor of this: http://www.veganstore.com/product/ve...s/all-vitamins (the chocolate flavor is meh imo)

The reason I use this is because, like you, I break out when I eat things I'm allergic to. I'm 27 and my face will still catch fire if I eat dairy, gluten, soy, coconut, nuts, or eggs. This list of allergies pretty much excludes most store bought food, which is why I was relieved to find this protein powder. Pretty low in calories, high in protein, but the one thing it does have a lot of is sodium. It's got a crap ton of that. Nevertheless, if you're looking for an allergen-free protein powder that tastes really good, this is for you.

About probiotics: Now that I've mentioned my long list of things I'm allergic to, I can say that often when I eat things my stomach hurts. Since I've started taking probiotics my stomach has been able to tolerate a lot more things and my acne went away again. Take that entirely unscientific opinion of probitoics with a grain of salt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    Besides the fact that you consistently come off as trying to sound dominate and omnipotent, nothing I said was wrong. You made vast assumptions about things I said, and completely fabricated other things I said (such as supplements being a waste of money, please quote that anywhere from me). You are trying to be combative and argumentative for no real reason at all, especially since you are agreeing with me on everything I have said. Let's go over it point by point just to be certain.

1- Taking protein powder on top of a satisfactory diet will make someone gain weight. You call me wrong on this, then continue to say that yes it would were it to put him in a calorie surplus, which it would. It goes with the fact that you said, of how the body has no way to effectively store protein, which is why if you go more than a day or two without protein it will start eating away at your muscles. Protein isn't stored in your body as protein, it also doesn't magically disappear if not used. It also doesn't magically turn into muscle if you don't exercise to use it.

2- I stated that eating right was a better option than supplements. You agree with me on this at first, then continue to say that I am wrong because some supplements are needed. Which really, they aren't in the slightest unless you are doing high endurance or high intensity muscle building. For a normal person just trying to gain or lose some weight they really aren't needed.

Finally, nothing was meant as an insult. It's simple logical deduction that either you were lying about how much you were taking, were taking far more supplements than is needed going off the expert opinions I had found, or were doing above and beyond what anyone average would possibly dream of doing as a work out. If you took it as you lying I would probably reason that as what is really going on considering your offense to that in particular. But perhaps you just dislike even the thought of being called a liar even though there were two other very clear options that were not offensive at all, rather than just dis-liking being caught in a lie.

Any any case, if you feel like needlessly being argumentative anymore take it to PMs, we've both already answered OP with our own options. You telling him to take more supplements of different kinds, and me telling him that unless he's trying to super-size, it would probably be a safer and healthier option to form a high protein nutritional plan.
    Sorry, omnipotent, what the?

If your satisfactory diet would be equal to your BMR then yes whey protein would add fat, and anything else would. But i think you missed the point of the OP. The OP is drinking a gainer, these are carb heavy protein shakes the whole point of taking those is to gain weight. Unless the OP severely fails to understand what a gainer is, i think its safe to assume hes not trying to lose weight but gain and pack on muscle.

Not much is stored in the body as their original state. You could eat proteins only and your body would still breakdown muscle as long as you were in a calorie deficit, your body also breaks down muscle if they are unused for as a week. But since he is probrably working out, i think any of this is least of his worries and i am sure that the protein will come in handy for his body.

You might not have directly said that supplements are unneeded, but you sure sound that way by saying a proper diet eliminates the needs. I agree with you, that if you do not lift that it might be unneccesary but that is not what was asked at the start. Besides, i still religiously belive that whey protein is amongst the best sources of protein there exists. Its cheap and clean. If i were to buy and eat beef instead the odds are there are some sort of chemicals added, some are even presalted. I could buy something pure but that stuff is expensive as hell in Denmark. But not only that, the fats from a beef is said to be more unhealthy than those in whey protein. Whey protein contains a better amino-acid profile than beef, so pretty much any aspect of the whey protein is superior to that of a regular beef. I know its not so black and white, but the point stands.

I don't see why you need to get all personal about this. We are just having a healthy discussion.

Deleted
    The protein in a glass of milk is 20% Whey based 80% Casein based, some people have a hard time digesting dairy and so prefer to use rice based proteins instead.

Rice protein is similar to whey protein meaning it is fast digesting. You want to take it immediately after a workout to provide your body with immediate access to the protein it needs to start repairs. Taking it at any other time is a complete waste of fucking time as your body will just filter out the excess and you'll piss it out.

Casein is a slow digesting protein, it provides a slow "drip" of protein and is most effective when taken just before you go to bed.

Lastly amino acids are what proteins are made from, so saying "Amino Acids" or "Protein" is effectively saying the same thing.

However some people use it to refer to "Creatine" which is another supplement which consists of 3 amino acids.

Creatine works by providing additional phosphorus to your body which allows for more production of ATP, the upshot being you have more energy and can work harder in the gym. I have never tried this, but I know a lot of people swear buy it.
    Last edited by mmoc59eefffc0e; 2013-01-01 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I'd seriously avoid the chemicals, powders and garbage. If you want bulk, eat natural protein like meat... not powdered stuff. (incidentally, Rice Protein is an oxymoron. Rice is mostly starch and has no protein in it.
    I would tend to agree with this.

Except lots of grains do have protien. Its usually in small amounts per grain so you have to process it to get a lot of the just protein.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2013-01-04 at 04:52 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Rice is apparently very high in arsenic, according to two recent studies. The FDA is even considering recommending a max number of times you should consume rice products (similar to how they recommend pregnant women limit fish consumption to X times a week or month).

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    The protein in a glass of milk is 20% Whey based 80% Casein based, some people have a hard time digesting dairy and so prefer to use rice based proteins instead.

Rice protein is similar to whey protein meaning it is fast digesting. You want to take it immediately after a workout to provide your body with immediate access to the protein it needs to start repairs. Taking it at any other time is a complete waste of fucking time as your body will just filter out the excess and you'll piss it out.

Casein is a slow digesting protein, it provides a slow "drip" of protein and is most effective when taken just before you go to bed.

Lastly amino acids are what proteins are made from, so saying "Amino Acids" or "Protein" is effectively saying the same thing.

However some people use it to refer to "Creatine" which is another supplement which consists of 3 amino acids.

Creatine works by providing additional phosphorus to your body which allows for more production of ATP, the upshot being you have more energy and can work harder in the gym. I have never tried this, but I know a lot of people swear buy it.
    The broscience is strong in this one.