Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    You do know that the Vrykul are basically Jötunns from Norse mythology right? its not like Blizzard invented something new here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_giants

    Also Norn where in the Eye of the North expansion pack that came out in 2007 when WotLK came out in 2008.

    OP.

    Well the game is not my GotY, but I can understand why it won GotY, its a great game.
    i think his point was that it has been done before not that it was original, we can agree that this point is kind of redundant tbh

  2. #22
    I see the term wow killer mostly come from wow players actually. I hardly ever see a fan of the game in question refer it so.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 04:27 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    i think his point was that it has been done before not that it was original, we can agree that this point is kind of redundant tbh
    Really? His point seems to be that it is a wow clone.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Now a lot of mmos (swtor, lotro, dcuo and GW2, just a few examples) try to become WoW killers. However, when they are trying to copy successfull schemes, they have to use those from the only successfull game around - WoW. And thus, such ripoffs like LotRO are discarded almost instantly, and games like Guild Wars, that copy a lot, but still add as much as they can to at least hide the fact that they copied half of the game, cann survive a bit longer. But nowadays, to make a good mmo to kill WoW, or at least compete with it, you need a groundbreaking idea that has nothing to do with WoW.
    Those MMO's weren't trying to be "WoW killers". They saw how successful WoW has been in the MMO market and tried to cash in on it. Nothing more.

  4. #24
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,186
    Fair enough for GW2, personally stopped playing it, but I can agree its a damm good game, and deserves the game of the year award.

    TL2 was also damm good, esp when you consider the size of the developer who put out such a damm good game.

    R:SL was undoubtably the best expansion, so much content, so much fun.
    No game will ever kill wow. Though Blizard themselves are making a pretty damm good attempt lately.

    THE FIRST RULE OF BRAWLERS GUILD IS YOU DO NOT GET INVITED TO BRAWLERS GUILD.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I see the term wow killer mostly come from wow players actually. I hardly ever see a fan of the game in question refer it so.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 04:27 PM ----------



    Really? His point seems to be that it is a wow clone.
    If you are a fan of scifi or fantasy literature or are at least familiar with more than the most popular fantasy/ scifi settings out there maybe you would understand the frustration of some people when they see the same theme being used over and over again, there's a lot more to chose from out there i promise you.

    it's not as simple as assigning a "clone" label if you really want to get into it.

  6. #26
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Why should I care about what happened which year? It's not the point.

    The point is, you guessed it, Guild Wars II. I am simply astonished how good are the reviews this game gets. Most memorable for me was the Angry Joes, where he even makes jokes about how expensive WoW is, and therefore, Guild Wars is economically a better game. But, whats so wrong about it?

    Not the fact that this game is "simply bad". Nope. When I played Guild Wars II for the first, I thought "this is it. The WoW killer. Just look at those graphics, and wow, my rogue can actually steal meaningfull stuff! And those Norn characters, wee! And no more boring quests, those events are way better!". Only after a week I found out that sadly, all those things are simply tested schemes from WoW, simply changed a bit and renamed, so this game gets the "groundbreaking" sticker. Random events became clearly quests - just organised in a more annoying way, Norn was simply a vrykul character, most classes were a copy and paste, and graphics were not this impressive they should be.

    This is why I call it "testing a mmo for 3 days". You can say it's a perfect game at first, but not after playing it for a long time, like a normal MMO. I don't hate this game - it just tried and failed a bit, but showed that there is a possibility that WoW can be dethronised.

    I'll grant you GW2 puts a new spin on old stuff in the genre, but then thats what wow did. And you do not even want to go there when it comes to what wow copied, its whole lore is basically ripped off from various religious and mythological texts, and not even very subtly. No issue with that, but lets not pretent its orignal ok? becuase its blatantly not./
    No game will ever kill wow. Though Blizard themselves are making a pretty damm good attempt lately.

    THE FIRST RULE OF BRAWLERS GUILD IS YOU DO NOT GET INVITED TO BRAWLERS GUILD.

  7. #27
    The Lightbringer Dewote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,304
    While GW2 didn't really replace the original GW for me, it's a good game and every award it receives is well deserved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    I thought "this is it. The WoW killer.......
    Herpaderpityderp, there's your problem.
    FC 2793-2016-8218 - Name: Suoma

  8. #28
    At least Zam's list didnt include D3 in their top 5 game of the year ^^'

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    At least Zam's list didnt include D3 in their top 5 game of the year ^^'
    who did?
    thou the CM's feeble attempts to get people to vote for D3 on various sites was fun to watch.

  10. #30
    http://www.gameoftheyear.org/ratings...t-rated-2012/1

    D3 #9 overall, #5 pc game

    Yeah, i laughed too when i saw that.

    But im not sure how accurate/serious that website is... saying a title that came out 11th dec to be #1 of the year...
    Last edited by Knaar; 2012-12-30 at 12:16 AM.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    http://www.gameoftheyear.org/ratings...t-rated-2012/1

    D3 #9 overall, #5 pc game

    Yeah, i laughed too when i saw that.

    But im not sure how accurate/serious that website is... saying a title that came out 11th dec to be #1 of the year...
    I used to laugh at this as well. Until I realised how much time did I spend in D3. Surely it's way worse than 2, surely it made may stupid plot choices, and surely highest level content is an economic simulator, but still, I can't call a game bad after I spent several hours getting to this top level, and even tried to experiance it.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    I used to laugh at this as well. Until I realised how much time did I spend in D3. Surely it's way worse than 2, surely it made may stupid plot choices, and surely highest level content is an economic simulator, but still, I can't call a game bad after I spent several hours getting to this top level, and even tried to experiance it.
    Time spent in the game doesn't make it a good game, extra time is easily added in D3 to pad out the gameplay (Farming for days just for something to sell, for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Time spent in the game doesn't make it a good game, extra time is easily added in D3 to pad out the gameplay (Farming for days just for something to sell, for example).
    "This shit is so terrible I just can't stop playing it!" /seriousface???

    BTW, farming and grinding is the game. It's a glorified treasure hunt, the same as D2 was, at least in my opinion.

    On topic: Grats to ANet. Hopefully this encourages more diversity in the genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

  14. #34
    Yeah farming and grinding is D3. The biggest problem I had with that game is that it was built, seemingly, around the auction house. So the loot system ends being terrible there. I also wasn't a fan of how they did the skills, I'd rather have talent trees. Otherwise it was a decent game that had typical blizzard polish and presentation with their combat and such.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Some pretty respectable names on that staff list.
    http://www.zam.com/wiki/Staff_List
    Fony and Lore are all I recognize. And not from that site, from GBTV. Though I do watch the BFF Report now (cause Mike B rules!).

    On Topic: GW2 should have won it. Zam focuses on PC gaming, and for PC gaming, there wasn't anything better this year.

    D3 was letdown of the year. Flip a coin for expansion of the year (between MoP and Storm Legion). GW2 was, and is, the best PC game released this year. Honorable mention to TSW.

    Grats to ANet. Deserved praise.

    toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Every review, pundit and game of the year award was bought by Arena.net. Obviously.

    No game could ever be worthy of accolade except the game Forum User #71262098290 enjoyed most. Barring that Forum User #71262098291 will conclude that no game was worthy of praise in the years between 1971 and 2019.
    +1

    /ten char

    Please don't do +1 or /ten char posts.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-12-30 at 09:34 AM.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    "This shit is so terrible I just can't stop playing it!" /seriousface???

    BTW, farming and grinding is the game. It's a glorified treasure hunt, the same as D2 was, at least in my opinion.

    On topic: Grats to ANet. Hopefully this encourages more diversity in the genre.
    There's a difference between farming for fun and farming to progress, not so much now with gold inflation mind you.

    Why so serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Why should I care about what happened which year? It's not the point.

    The point is, you guessed it, Guild Wars II. I am simply astonished how good are the reviews this game gets. Most memorable for me was the Angry Joes, where he even makes jokes about how expensive WoW is, and therefore, Guild Wars is economically a better game. But, whats so wrong about it?

    Not the fact that this game is "simply bad". Nope. When I played Guild Wars II for the first, I thought "this is it. The WoW killer. Just look at those graphics, and wow, my rogue can actually steal meaningfull stuff! And those Norn characters, wee! And no more boring quests, those events are way better!". Only after a week I found out that sadly, all those things are simply tested schemes from WoW, simply changed a bit and renamed, so this game gets the "groundbreaking" sticker. Random events became clearly quests - just organised in a more annoying way, Norn was simply a vrykul character, most classes were a copy and paste, and graphics were not this impressive they should be.

    This is why I call it "testing a mmo for 3 days". You can say it's a perfect game at first, but not after playing it for a long time, like a normal MMO. I don't hate this game - it just tried and failed a bit, but showed that there is a possibility that WoW can be dethronised.
    Speaking of Angry Joe, he named Guild Wars 2 his Game of the Year in his top 10 list of 2012...


  19. #39
    Pit Lord gutnbrg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mageland
    Posts
    2,340
    i much more agree with G4's GOTY winner, Borderlands 2.....sick game, or maybe farcry 3
    Last edited by gutnbrg; 2012-12-30 at 09:35 AM.

  20. #40
    For me Planetside 2 is by far the game of the year, but could be because i like the MMO FPS style more than the 47653th MMO RPG, but i can see, why not many people would like that game sadly
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •