Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

ZAM Game of the Year

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31430

Guild Wars 2 takes the GotY Award from Zam. Honorable mentions to Torchlight 2, The Walking Dead, and League of Legends.

Guild Wars 2 also took the Reader's Choice Award.

Rift took Expansion of the Year with Storm Legion and Mop got an Honorable mention.
    Valar morghulis

And this is what happens if you play an MMO for 3 days just for sake of a review.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    And this is what happens if you play an MMO for 3 days just for sake of a review.
    Yeh.. this pretty much...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cool. Other sources who know what makes a great game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the people at ZAM Network know nothing about games, lol? These are the people that host WoWhead, GuildHead, TorHead, Tankspot, the BFF Report, and MMOUI.

Some pretty respectable names on that staff list.
    http://www.zam.com/wiki/Staff_List
    Valar morghulis

Every review, pundit and game of the year award was bought by Arena.net. Obviously.

No game could ever be worthy of accolade except the game Forum User #71262098290 enjoyed most. Barring that Forum User #71262098291 will conclude that no game was worthy of praise in the years between 1971 and 2019.

I wouldn't worry about people coming in here to downplay the award. It happens every year to the winners. No matter what the winning game would have been there would be comments like "And this is what happens if you play an MMO for 3 days just for sake of a review"

It happened in all the previous years and will happen next year and so on.

Anyway, congrats to the folks at ArenaNet. One thing I would suggest here is to have a consolidated thread for awards and not a new thread for each individual award.

Merging threads is incredibly messy from an admin standpoint. Rarely happens despite the "Nazi mods close/merge everything!" proclamations.

Kinda partly on the users to not be awful at message boarding, partly the nature of open forums. Such is life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Because the people at ZAM Network know nothing about games, lol? These are the people that host WoWhead, GuildHead, TorHead, Tankspot, the BFF Report, and MMOUI.

Some pretty respectable names on that staff list.
    http://www.zam.com/wiki/Staff_List
    Meh...I ignore those who make very short remarks on down playing a review without making the effort to atleast take the time to say why. Even if they do, everyone has thier own opinion as to what makes a great game. This latest one, I happen to agree with the review from ZAM Network. Reader's choice reward? I am not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I wouldn't worry about people coming in here to downplay the award. It happens every year to the winners. No matter what the winning game would have been there would be comments like "And this is what happens if you play an MMO for 3 days just for sake of a review"

It happened in all the previous years and will happen next year and so on.

Anyway, congrats to the folks at ArenaNet. One thing I would suggest here is to have a consolidated thread for awards and not a new thread for each individual award.
    Why should I care about what happened which year? It's not the point.

The point is, you guessed it, Guild Wars II. I am simply astonished how good are the reviews this game gets. Most memorable for me was the Angry Joes, where he even makes jokes about how expensive WoW is, and therefore, Guild Wars is economically a better game. But, whats so wrong about it?

Not the fact that this game is "simply bad". Nope. When I played Guild Wars II for the first, I thought "this is it. The WoW killer. Just look at those graphics, and wow, my rogue can actually steal meaningfull stuff! And those Norn characters, wee! And no more boring quests, those events are way better!". Only after a week I found out that sadly, all those things are simply tested schemes from WoW, simply changed a bit and renamed, so this game gets the "groundbreaking" sticker. Random events became clearly quests - just organised in a more annoying way, Norn was simply a vrykul character, most classes were a copy and paste, and graphics were not this impressive they should be.

This is why I call it "testing a mmo for 3 days". You can say it's a perfect game at first, but not after playing it for a long time, like a normal MMO. I don't hate this game - it just tried and failed a bit, but showed that there is a possibility that WoW can be dethronised.

10+ Year Old Account

The point is, you guessed it, Guild Wars II. I am simply astonished how good are the reviews this game gets. Most memorable for me was the Angry Joes, where he even makes jokes about how expensive WoW is, and therefore, Guild Wars is economically a better game. But, whats so wrong about it?

Not the fact that this game is "simply bad". Nope. When I played Guild Wars II for the first, I thought "this is it. The WoW killer. Just look at those graphics, and wow, my rogue can actually steal meaningfull stuff! And those Norn characters, wee! And no more boring quests, those events are way better!". Only after a week I found out that sadly, all those things are simply tested schemes from WoW, simply changed a bit and renamed, so this game gets the "groundbreaking" sticker. Random events became clearly quests - just organised in a more annoying way, Norn was simply a vrykul character, most classes were a copy and paste, and graphics were not this impressive they should be.

This is why I call it "testing a mmo for 3 days". You can say it's a perfect game at first, but not after playing it for a long time, like a normal MMO. I don't hate this game - it just tried and failed a bit, but showed that there is a possibility that WoW can be dethronised.
    Fair enough. Thanks for atleast explaining in some detail why you donot think it deserves those rewards. I donot agree with your opinion, but atleast respect the fact you took the time to explain why you did'nt. I think a MMO can be somewhat like getting a new girl friend. At first you are excited about her, she appears to be so nice and inviting, then as time go goes on, you feel like what you thought about her, was all wrong. Then again, some relationships end in life long partnerships which last for decades. It is sometimes based on our expectations.

Well certainly valid to have different opinions but I was just using your initial quote as an example of what I see in every single game award thread, no matter the game.

Offtopic, what is a vrykul?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well certainly valid to have different opinions but I was just using your initial quote as an example of what I see in every single game award thread, no matter the game.

Offtopic, what is a vrykul?
    This viking-like creature from World of Warcraft, from WotLK expansion.

Ah well, Norns to have a basis in norse culture I suppose. So I'm assuming there would be some similarity if another game is using something of the same theme.

Also, Norns are from the first game, introduced in Eye of the North in 2007. Wrath of the Lich King was released in 2008. So who copied who?
    Last edited by Valeron; 2012-12-29 at 11:13 PM.

Okacz you should realize all those things you mentioned as "schemes from wow" are not "schemes from wow" but iterations of the same types of game play mechanics and character types that have been around for a long time even before wow. Being the most popular game doesn't mean they invented all the things that are in their game.

That's fine you disliked GW2. However, what relevance is that to anyone else or this award?

Clearly, there are many that do enjoy GW2. Including media outlets, reviewers, critics and pundits all of whom have more weight to their opinion & enjoyment than random internet guy(s) by a factor so large it is incalculable.

It's like disliking James Wood's top 10 in the New Yorker and proclaiming he surely did not read beyond the first few chapters of "Four New Messages".

Deleted

Feel about the same, under all that pretty wrapping there's just more of the same. To be fair there are improvements just not enough for me.

@Fencers: Wow, someone expressing opinion on a topic on the internet on a forum? the audacity

is this a fall in and salute kind of thread then?
    Last edited by mmoc94e579c637; 2012-12-29 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomak View Post
    Okacz you should realize all those things you mentioned as "schemes from wow" are not "schemes from wow" but iterations of the same types of game play mechanics and character types that have been around for a long time even before wow. Being the most popular game doesn't mean they invented all the things that are in their game.
    Didn't say that. WoW indeed took a lot from other games, especially Everquest. But why is it successfull? Because they decided to analyze the mistakes companies made and adapt only the mechanics that worked. Each system in WoW, whether it's quest system (thousands of quests at release - it was astonishing at the time), status system or even basic tank/healer/dps roles were adapted and mastered - and this is what made WoW great.

Now a lot of mmos (swtor, lotro, dcuo and GW2, just a few examples) try to become WoW killers. However, when they are trying to copy successfull schemes, they have to use those from the only successfull game around - WoW. And thus, such ripoffs like LotRO are discarded almost instantly, and games like Guild Wars, that copy a lot, but still add as much as they can to at least hide the fact that they copied half of the game, cann survive a bit longer. But nowadays, to make a good mmo to kill WoW, or at least compete with it, you need a groundbreaking idea that has nothing to do with WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    This viking-like creature from World of Warcraft, from WotLK expansion.
    You do know that the Vrykul are basically Jötunns from Norse mythology right? its not like Blizzard invented something new here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_giants

Also Norn where in the Eye of the North expansion pack that came out in 2007 when WotLK came out in 2008.

OP.

Well the game is not my GotY, but I can understand why it won GotY, its a great game.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Now a lot of mmos (swtor, lotro, dcuo and GW2, just a few examples) try to become WoW killers. However, when they are trying to copy successfull schemes, they have to use those from the only successfull game around - WoW. And thus, such ripoffs like LotRO are discarded almost instantly, and games like Guild Wars, that copy a lot, but still add as much as they can to at least hide the fact that they copied half of the game, cann survive a bit longer. But nowadays, to make a good mmo to kill WoW, or at least compete with it, you need a groundbreaking idea that has nothing to do with WoW.
    The fan bases are typically the people who start the cries of 'wow killer' (except for RIFT whos whole marketing campaign was that it was a WoW Killer). Sure companies would like to make a 'WoW Killer' so they can be rich as all get up like Blizzard, but they aren't running around saying that. So instead of always saying 'omg game company x and their new game sucks cause they're just making a wow killer' maybe I don't know... Know that the fans are the ones who make those comments.