Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Humanity is a God in itself?

Keep discussion about religions to minimum or keep it out altogether, thank you.

So I just took a nap and when I woke I got this idea;

People often relate 'God(s)' to something omnipotent that cannot be seen but is just 'there', affecting everything and nothing. Creator of all life (mostly in monotheistic religions) or just a joker.

Now, if you look at world as a whole, you could say that humanity is slowly evolving to (or creating) a God(s). With the internet, we have reached some level of omnipotent presence, where we aren't physically there but we can see/hear and know/affect the happenings from the other side of the world. Medical science is going forward all the time, and more and more diseases can be cured (although counter productively this also creates more diseases, but overall it's in good going) could be related to all kinds of "healing / special powers" seen in many religions. Globalization is part of the goal of evolution. This must be made clear thought, a single man in my theory is not a God, but mankind as a whole.

I know I didn't explain it to the fullest, but you get the idea I bet. Basically, in my slightly drowsy theory the mankind will eventually reach a God state. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Thes; 2012-12-29 at 09:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Religion is a forbidden topic on these boards.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...dated-14-09-11

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post

This thread is neither about the existance of God nor the truth about religion. OP is merely suggesting that we might reach a God state once science has discovered eveything etc.

Also, the subject of God isn't unique to religion, nor do all religions have God(s).

Edit: And to answer OP, yes absolutely. But we don't know everything yet, so perhaps it is impossible/extremely hard to cure all diseases, even with the knowledge, we might lack the resources.
    Last edited by mmoc286748cea5; 2012-12-29 at 09:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the separation of the 'definition of a God' and what 'God/a God' signifies to a person plays the crucial role in this kind of thing.

It's too hard in some cases to make people see it clinically, because they cannot make that separation.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been saying this for years. If we can just keep from becoming complacent, the laws of reality will one day become meaningless to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    I guess the separation of the 'definition of a God' and what 'God/a God' signifies to a person plays the crucial role in this kind of thing.

It's too hard in some cases to make people see it clinically, because they cannot make that separation.
    I tried to help the thread with "often relate" as we can't clearly outline what a God or Gods is/are for different people/religions.

Not for as long as we are more like animal than something better, but maybe one day. nah.

I wonder why political discussions are perfectly acceptable while religioius ones are not.

Both seem rather contentious, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by salamala View Post
    Not for as long as we are more like animal than something better, but maybe one day. nah.
    What's the difference? I mean, 1 cell of human body doesn't make a human. 1 cell decaying doesn't kill a human. In similar sense, 1 human being born/dying doesn't kill the theorized God here.

If mankind was somehow destroyed as a whole, the forming God state of humanity would die out as well. I'll try to look out a better word here~~
    Last edited by Thes; 2012-12-29 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I've been saying this for years. If we can just keep from becoming complacent, the laws of reality will one day become meaningless to us.
    Thats called insanity...

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 10:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I wonder why political discussions are perfectly acceptable while religioius ones are not.

Both seem rather contentious, to me.
    I dunno, seems perfectly acceptable to call a politician out on his bullshit - why not the pope?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I dunno, seems perfectly acceptable to call a politician out on his bullshit - why not the pope?
    Cause pope has magic powers.

10+ Year Old Account
    The theory mentioned already exists. It's called the Technological Singularity, where eventually, humanity will be able to construct computers with AI capable of doing things that meet (or even exceed) what descriptions of God(s) from various religions have been said to be capable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakrin View Post
    The theory mentioned already exists. It's called the Technological Singularity, where eventually, humanity will be able to construct computers with AI capable of doing things that meet (or even exceed) what descriptions of God(s) from various religions have been said to be capable of doing.
    This is not exactly the same, but quite close.

Deleted
    I think what you're saying is that many things that were previously attributed to a god or the supernatural, are actually things that it turns out a human society can control. This isn't exactly a profound statement.

Globalization is part of the goal of evolution
    Evolution doesn't have goals.

Quote Originally Posted by thekrik View Post
    I think what you're saying is that many things that were previously attributed to a god or the supernatural, are actually things that it turns out a human society can control. This isn't exactly a profound statement.

Evolution doesn't have goals.
    Evolution indeed has a goal, and that is survival of the entity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Thats called insanity...

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 10:53 PM ----------

Because people find religion a sacred theme of conversation, and you can't trash it in any manner whatsoever, while when you're discussing politics, you just assume the politicians are all corrupts (or the majority), and you're picking your poison, by choosing a political party.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakrin View Post
    That's not even close to an accurate representation of the technological singularity.

The technological singularity is the point at which humans develop an artificial intelligence greater than human intelligence.

That intelligence will be better, faster and smarter than any human and, as such, will be the thing to develop all forms of future artificial intelligence and inventions. Humans will, in essence, have obsolesced ourselves.

Will this be a good thing or bad thing? Who knows? Ray Kurzweil probably knows more than anyone else. I only wish I were as smart as that guy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post

Hahaha, why do you have to be such a partypooper?:P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Evolution indeed has a goal, and that is survival of the entity.
    It is incorrect to say evolution has a goal, as evolution is a simple process. It doesn't think or have any sentience whatsoever.

It is also incorrect to say that it guarantees the survival of the entity, evolution has been shown to allow survival of particular genes, be they in one entity or multiple entities.

10+ Year Old Account
    how does one know exactly when one becomes a god.Entities worship you, the power to bend the rules of reality on a whim it's a very profound question that can not be answered at this period in our time and probably anywhere in the near future as well,but its one of those questions we all think of at least once in life.Is it possible that deep in our genetics that we strive for this as a whole...who knows and has it been achieved already and we are just an off shoot of a process that has already been in motion in a time long long ago.
    Last edited by Shroud; 2012-12-29 at 10:09 PM.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]