Why do they keep killing Peter Parkers? *spoilers*

when they did it on Earth-1610 (Ultimate universe), I was kind of pissed. I liked the ultimate continuity, and I like Peter Parker, so seeing them go drift apart made me sort of sad and angry. but it wasn't on the mainstream continuity, so I was sort of OK with it.

but now they did it again, and on this time, it was on Earth-616, the Mainstream continuity. the original spider-man died. well, his body is alive, but now Doc Ock is the one inside it. and he claims he'll be a "superior spider-man". No, he won't. no spider-man can be better than the Amazing Spider-man.

I'm gonna bet they'll start killing peter on all universes from now on. even on the movies. spider-man 2 will have Norman Osborn as spider-man. on spider-man 3 it'll be eddie brock's time. spider-man 4 will be all about JJ Jameson.

RIP Peter Parker.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    every human + superpower tends to die. unless said human is an alien and/or superpower is regeneration and/or immortality.

and i always thought spiderman was kinda of a wimpy hero =/

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    every human + superpower tends to die. unless said human is an alien and/or superpower is regeneration and/or immortality.

and i always thought spiderman was kinda of a wimpy hero =/
    not the way peter died. doc ock traded minds with him than killed his old, already dying body. that was dirty.

EDIT: plus, peter has some minor regeneration powers.

Why?

To sell more comics. Every time a major character dies, there's a media blitz, and people say "They still sell comics?" and buy some. Then the boom tapers out until the next major character dies. We saw this back in the 1990's with Superman and Hal Jordan.

they sell comics still?!?!?! omw to comic store

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    not the way peter died. doc ock traded minds with him than killed his old, already dying body. that was dirty.

EDIT: plus, peter has some minor regeneration powers.
    I am talking deadpool/wolverine regeneration

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Why?

To sell more comics. Every time a major character dies, there's a media blitz, and people say "They still sell comics?" and buy some. Then the boom tapers out until the next major character dies. We saw this back in the 1990's with Superman and Hal Jordan.
    well, I'm not buying "superior spider-man". ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm less upset that they're killing him and more that they undid the MJ/Parker marriage just to save the decrepit Aunt May. Of all the comics out there, Spiderman is by far one of the most repetitive, relying largely on the same cliches from when it started.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

To be honest marvel is starting to piss me off and then some.
    When they introduced the black Nick Fury to the Ultimate universe I was very cool with that but now they are going to replace him in the mainstream also and I am not cool with that. Don't get me wrong this is not a black versus white issue with me but simply the old "white" Nick is one of the few constant characters in Marvel.
    Then they killed of PP in the ultimate universe and again I was okay with that as it was not mainstream but now this shit happens in the mainstream universe there has to be a catch here somewhere because Peter Parker the one and only Spiderman is Marvels flagship character and has been for decades.
    If your a comic nutter like I am then you would know that over the years in various comics Peter Parker would be remembered as the greatest hero of them all, due to his constant hardship and his constant bravery and now this shit.
    After all these years I have seen Marvel and DC make some weird ass and stupid choices but this takes the cake.

Okay rant over.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Quote Originally Posted by Althalus View Post
    After all these years I have seen Marvel and DC make some weird ass and stupid choices but this takes the cake.
    Honestly, the only reason they make stupid choices is to move comics. There's only so many reasonable stories to tell with a specific group of characters, and some of these characters have been in pulp serials since the 60's (or the 30's-40's for the Golden Age heroes).

Comic readers change on a generational basis, very few people comparatively buy and read comics for more than say 10 years or so. There's an impetus to "shake up" the storylines every few years to allow new readers into the series as well as allow the writers breathing space. Peter Parker should be in his 60's by now, and likely afflicted with enough emotional trauma for heavy doses of anti-depressants. Who wants to read that in a 'hero' comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Who wants to read that in a 'hero' comic?
    Funny enough, everyone loves Watchmen:P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    Why do they keep killing Peter Parkers?
    Welcome to the world of Marvel, son. Let me, one who has read Marvel for near three decades now, illuminate some things for you.

I guess you're pretty new here. You haven't yet grasped how Marvel works. See, the thing is, they give the boot to the old writer (they always do), after which they have to get a temporary writer, or the new writer, end the "saga" the old writer started. Which completely and utterly destroys the whole plot. Then this new writer starts his own ambitious saga, and often it's a completely moronic idea, in an attempt to garner a higher audience.

Then that writer gets sacked. That "dimension" gets destroyed. And it all starts anew.

As far as Peter Parker goes, trust me buddy, the real Peter Parker will not die as long as Stan Lee is alive. They can make a million faux realities with wannabe writers with a million nobody-gives-a-shit Spider-Man clones, but the real Peter Parker is Stan Lee.

Talk about first-world problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    As far as Peter Parker goes, trust me buddy, the real Peter Parker will not die as long as Stan Lee is alive. They can make a million faux realities with wannabe writers with a million nobody-gives-a-shit Spider-Man clones, but the real Peter Parker is Stan Lee.
    I really hope you are right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Name a superhero who hasn't died at least twice.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm less upset that they're killing him and more that they undid the MJ/Parker marriage just to save the decrepit Aunt May. Of all the comics out there, Spiderman is by far one of the most repetitive, relying largely on the same cliches from when it started.
    Dont even get me started on "One More Day"... I been boycotting Spiderman since that day

Deleted
    To be honest, for someone who doesn't follow the comics. No clue. The only spider-man I know and will ever know is Peter Parker.

Deleted
    Good thing the title doesnt spoil it "rolls eyes"

I havent read spiderman for quite some years, but do remember The Hand already tried reviving Doc. Oct. at the cost of Peter Parkers life, and the Vulture came pretty close too... But as always Peter will prevail somehow, Peter Parker actually died and came back to life after the Jackal tampered with his DNA to make him believe he was the clone as opposed to Ben Reilly.