Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61
    High Overlord Jacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    172
    Get her a good mouse with a lot of buttons (lika a razer naga or steelseries wow mouse) or/and a gaming keyboard.

    I got my gf a razer naga and a this: (http://steelseries.com/products/keyb...s-merc-stealth) and it did help her play much much better.

  2. #62
    What I did to teach myself to use keybinds was download an addon that hides the action bar and start a new character. Excellent way to learn how to press keys because you CAN'T click. It was annoying but it's been a few years now and I haven't gone back!

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellabunnie View Post
    What I did to teach myself to use keybinds was download an addon that hides the action bar and start a new character. Excellent way to learn how to press keys because you CAN'T click. It was annoying but it's been a few years now and I haven't gone back!
    I think this is a nice way to start. However, don't do it without her knowledge like you did for the arrow keys. Ask her and try to convince her, without being too forceful, that it will greatly enhance her gameplay experience and eventually her fun while playing.

  4. #64
    Dreadlord calmsea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine, US
    Posts
    758
    I'd say get her a razer naga to help with the clicking. Works like a dream. Then get bartender for any other spells that she wants to keybind that aren't on the 1-= and try to explain more clearly why WASD works better. Arrow keys are uncomfortable for long play sessions, so I'm surprised she hasn't realized that yet.
    Last edited by calmsea; 2012-12-30 at 03:47 PM. Reason: auto correct fail

  5. #65
    I see a lot of people already said this, but its not really her movement and play style that's causing low dps. It's that she doesn't know how to play her class the right way. You can click everything, but if you click the right buttons you can still do good dps. Teach her about her class and how to play it properly and how all the spells work and everything. THEN move on to movement and all that.

  6. #66
    Cut things down to basics. UI setup will help a lot imo. Put all the basic, fundamental info close to the middle of the screen where she should be looking anyway & get rid of everything else.

    Move the player & target so that they're underneath her character's feet. That way she's only looking at the center of the screen to see her character, her health/resources & her target.

    Get a bar mod (e.g. bartender).

    Cut her primary action bar down so it's only her basic 4-6 ability rotation (e.g. BM hunter = Kill Command, Cobra Shot, Arcane Shot, Serpent Sting). Make sure that the keybind is showing on the abilities - a lot of people turn it off, but she'll need the reinforcement about what button is what ability.

    Put the primary action bar immediately underneath the character/target bars. Now she's seeing where she is, her health/target & the abilities she should be using all in close to the same place.

    Make a secondary bar with her big cooldowns, bind it to obvious stuff like the numberpad keys but if she wants to mouseclick CDs that doesn't really matter. Focus on her getting used to using keybinds for her primary rotation first.

    Move every other ability onto extra bars at the right or left edge of the screen. Make sure they're well clear of the centre. She can see them & use them if she wants, but they shouldn't be anywhere prominent where they'll distract her from getting her primary abilities right & basic character control.

    It should - hopefully - simplify things down to just the basics, and keep everything as simple as possible while she tries to get into good habits.

    Then just let her go at her own pace.

    Don't worry if she's keyboard turning. Definitely don't worry about moving with the mouse - the two button movement thing is actually quite a good way to move if you're fluid with it.

    Oh, and rebind "reply to whisper" to control-R. Leave R unkeybound for now (she can use it for an ability later). Fat fingering 'reply' occasionally is common, and likely to be even more troublesome for her than most people.
    Last edited by lakhesis; 2012-12-30 at 03:32 PM.

  7. #67
    you said she plays kitty. some people have a harder time adjusting to combat point classes.
    maybe get her the glyph of savagery if she's as bad as you say. make sure she's using berserk and tigers fury at the right time too.

  8. #68
    Warchief Statix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,001
    If you have to 'teach' someone to play WoW, they're not meant to play the game. If you insist on teaching her anyway, she should get used to playing it the proper way.

    Low DPS is partially because she is new to the game, but also because she clicks abilities with her mouse. The mouse should only be used to look around and turning your character, not for clicking abilities. As for the strafing vs turning with the keyboard, strafe is the way to go. You can simply turn way faster with the mouse than with the keyboard.

    Slow to react is because she's using an unnatural way to control her character and use abilities. If you let her play the way she feels is the most comfortable, she will stay a noob for a lot longer than when you let her play the way she is supposed to. Especcialy because she is in the early stages, you should just let her start again but now the proper way.

    If you let her go her own way, in the future, it will be like teaching someone that has driven an automatic for dozens of years to drive a manual transmission.
    Statix will suffice.

  9. #69
    It is now a time ago that this Discussion ended but i found this Thread yesterday and was kind of....pissed!

    The reason for that is I AM that GF..... and what i had in my mind afte i found this i better don´t say that cause i am sure Under 18 year old persons are here too....

    The reason i started to bitch and hiss at you dear Nensec was this "You doing wrong"......

    Strange thing with my "Doing wrong" i had a real good time....

    You knew, cause i told you, that i have my problems to play like you.... so using WASD and stuff..... I also told you that i never played this class before.....

    And what was the reason that i had "such BAD DPS"??? Cause i had my problems with the Combo points.....

    Sure you helped me a lot... but your way is for a "Starter" maybe not the best!!

    I am level 90 now doing good with my kitty especially i have noone who is watching over my shoulder then that makes quiet nervous...

    And yes i made me also a new char and level that alone.... just ask for help if i am complete lost or if i am bored to do stuff alone!!

    And just one last thing..... a Tip for all Gamers outthere....

    IF you BF or GF want´s to play with you a game NEVER...NEVER freaking EVER change keys.... cause that is a reason for some persons to quit..... and i know what i am talking about cause i wanted to stop

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    One thing I don't like about guys spending their time on video games. Merely as a tip. I often consider this scenario. What would my GF look more attracted to? Me a boyfriend that spends the night or the weekend playing video games? Or me playing guitar singing?

    Tip being - Spend less time on video games, try something new for a difference. I have this friend in a pretty much same scenario. He has this GF, he's spending his time one video games and they've been together for almost two years. Of coures she admitted, I'd rather have a boyfriend that could play the guitar or/and sing for me than playing video games.

    Not going to be rude, but just move away from gaming. Even if she's the one taking the move towards the video games.
    Did this guy ask for you to come in here and criticize his hobbies or the way he spends time with his woman?

    Coz otherwise I don't see any damn reason you should be getting on your high horse to tell him how to live his life.

    There are different people in the world you know, not all girls "would prefer if you spent time with your guitar".

  11. #71
    The Lightbringer Toffie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,762
    Let her figure it out, I did and sure as hell had fun learning it all slowly.
    Steam Big Picture Mode - 4570 - GA-H87N - MSI R9-290 - 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO
    Corsair 250D - Philips 55 LED TV - Corsair RM 550 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB

    4770K - EVGA 780 Ti SC- Corsair 350D - V700 - Gryphon Z87
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - Samsung 840 250GB - H60

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Sorry, it came out wrong. I wasn't trying to say quit games. That's not my intention, but move away from it as a part of doing something together. Of course you can spend time playing video games, but there's alot of other things you can do together. For spare time alone, absolutely play games, it really doesn't matter. I know people that bang more chicks a week than bosses they down in WoW. Weird example :S Either way. What I wanted to say with the last comment is - Instead of moving to gaming, move to some other hobby. Or stick with gaming, w/e suits you. But from experience - Most girls don't wish to spend their night with their boyfriend on the computer, even if they say so.

    And of course you can be the star of attention in your social life with playing video games, it's just about managing time. It just game out a bit wrong soz for that
    I'm really trying to see how you can come in here and think saying stuff like this is relevant or appropriate. It seems like you are trying to backwards brag about how you aren't "some nerd who plays games with his girlfriend" instead of genuinely help anyone.

    I also doubt your "experience".

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 09:45 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Gaming can be fun from time to time. Even for girls
    Ah yes, here is the evidence you are completely sexist. Glad we cleared that up.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 09:49 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    Playing wow with your girl? That's a nono. For 2 reasons :
    1. You'll spend shitloads of time ( and neurons ) trying to learn her how 2 play properly ( which I assure you will be in vain, cause that needs lots of time and practice )
    2. She most surely will end up not playing the game anymore after a few weeks / months. I guarantee you.
    But hey, atleast you didn't rafed your gf like I did. The most frustrating part is when trying to get her to move and level fast, while all she cares is " oh what a nice beautiful scenery that is" or " omg a cute bunny!!!! "
    It really is horrifying the subjective evidence people bring into these things. Both my ex and my current girlfriend play WoW. Neither of them "quit after a few months". Both raided serious content when it was relevant.

    Good to see sexism in gaming is going strong.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    If you have to 'teach' someone to play WoW, they're not meant to play the game. If you insist on teaching her anyway, she should get used to playing it the proper way.

    Low DPS is partially because she is new to the game, but also because she clicks abilities with her mouse. The mouse should only be used to look around and turning your character, not for clicking abilities. As for the strafing vs turning with the keyboard, strafe is the way to go. You can simply turn way faster with the mouse than with the keyboard.

    Slow to react is because she's using an unnatural way to control her character and use abilities. If you let her play the way she feels is the most comfortable, she will stay a noob for a lot longer than when you let her play the way she is supposed to. Especcialy because she is in the early stages, you should just let her start again but now the proper way.

    If you let her go her own way, in the future, it will be like teaching someone that has driven an automatic for dozens of years to drive a manual transmission.
    Man. That just sounds so wrong. And is quite the opposite of how I shifted from keyboard based movement to mouse based movement. It's not guaranteed that the switch is difficult, really, it all depends on the personality of the player. Are they willing and able to adapt? They'll be able to do it - they might need some assistance, they might need to do it in small steps, they might be able to make the switch with ease and speed. Are they unwilling to adapt? Then they're not frustrated enough with themselves to put in the effort to make the change.

    I used keyboard based movement for ~5 or 6 years, and then switched to mouse based sometime mid-way through BC. I'd raided in another MMO, but I didn't start raiding in WoW til BC era, and WoW's a much twitchier game than my previous one... but only once I began raiding. Pre-raid experience, I had no issues with keyboard movement.

    The biggest hurdle I've seen to mouse movement is ability clicking, but I was lucky enough that my first 3D graphical MMO actually had a tutorial that wanted me to use keybinds for my abilities rather than clicking on them... and I actually took the time to play it. I suspect WoW would benefit from such a tutorial (there was the option to skip it, so WoW's ought to as well), especially as it's often one of the first MMOs for a lot of people these days, but I guess them's the breaks.

    Fiddling with someone else's keybinds without their consent is a pretty nasty way to try to do things. A good way to frustrate someone enough to stop even bothering to try.

    Whenever I attempt to make changes to the way I play a game, I have to do it in steps. One or two changes at a time, waiting til I'm comfortable with those changes before adding new ones. Same with when I start making changes to my UI. If things change too drastically, I'm simply unable to function at all. I know how I learn, at least in this regard, so I need to dictate what I want to change, and at what speed.

    OP sounded more impatient with his GF than anything else.

    If a player's having fun, they'll be eager to try new things. If a player isn't having fun, they need to choose what changes - their play style, or the class they play, or even the game they play. Perhaps they just need to change who they play with. It might be more fun with certain players, it might be more torturous with certain players. I couldn't play my games with one of my ex's, doing stuff with him in games just made me miserable - not because of how he treated me, but because of how he treated strangers and friends alike in game.

    It's also often not the best idea to have one Significant Other trying to teach another Significant Other. There are enough stresses in life, in relationships. We're playing games to have fun here.

  14. #74
    Field Marshal Blabarsjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    58
    Teach her the basics of the game, and then let her decide what to do.
    <Sick Sense>

  15. #75
    Pit Lord gutnbrg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mageland
    Posts
    2,271
    replace her mouse with a spatula and make sure she's always wearing oven mits when she plays

    Infracted. Please post constructively.
    Last edited by Rivelle; 2013-01-21 at 04:19 PM.

  16. #76
    I got my girlfriend playing this game, and she still plays it now years later. It was all about letting her figure it out for herself.
    I helped her a little along the way with advice and brought her a razor naga but I never stepped on her toes or told her off for being bad. She is now a decent raider clearing heroic modes each week (we are 11/16HC so not the best in the world, but far from the worst) and she learnt alot better by teaching herself at her own pace.
    If you insist on watching over her shoulders all the time, and telling her that everything she does is wrong and that she is bad at DPS...all you will achieve is her not liking the game as much and never getting good at it.
    Last edited by Ishau; 2013-01-21 at 02:21 AM.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    If she doesn't like you for gaming, don't change. Never be afraid to be yourself, don't change for a woman. And don't be a hippy guitar player if you don't want to. Sorry, I forgot to preface this with "not to be rude".
    This sounds great in theory but in practice it's no fun to grow old alone. Years from now when you're sitting alone in your dark basement playing your beloved video games, are you really going to find comfort in the thought that you didn't change for her? No. Sometimes changes can actually be for the better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •