Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    So if I get certified, is there anything I can do to land that sitting at computer position instead of the one being on feet? Can you at least read books on your phone when you on your feet?

Have you ever actually been employed? How old are you?

The vast majority of military jobs that don't have to do with the fundamental operations of an active duty base are 95% boredom and 5% thrill/terror. Interestingly, many of the jobs that are the most boring, are also some of the most incredibly important.

Seriously though, worry about getting any job before you worry about getting a cushy job.

Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    So if I get certified, is there anything I can do to land that sitting at computer position instead of the one being on feet? Can you at least read books on your phone when you on your feet?
    No, you wont get certified, You have to be 30 years old, have 5 references, a solid job for at least a year, graduate high school, and must pass a drug/alcohol test.
    So unless you meet all those, you're going nowhere and I suggest you go get a normal job.

10+ Year Old Account
    My job in the Navy was a whole bunch of twiddling my thumbs until I had to work...and then it was twiddling my thumbs with a pair of headphones on, doing maybe an hours' work over the course of a 12 hour shift. There are many, many jobs in the military that can be boiled down to, 'twiddle thumbs; repeat until shift ends' lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuex View Post
    No, you wont get certified, You have to be 30 years old, have 5 references, a solid job for at least a year, graduate high school, and must pass a drug/alcohol test.
    So unless you meet all those, you're going nowhere and I suggest you go get a normal job.
    30 years old? You must be joking. I basically never had a job (too short to put down on resumes for the ones I had). Does 4 years of college count as a "job"?

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 04:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    My job in the Navy was a whole bunch of twiddling my thumbs until I had to work...and then it was twiddling my thumbs with a pair of headphones on, doing maybe an hours' work over the course of a 12 hour shift. There are many, many jobs in the military that can be boiled down to, 'twiddle thumbs; repeat until shift ends' lol.
    Were you allowed to use a computer or phone too? What was your job title i the Navy?
    Last edited by freeti; 2012-12-30 at 08:21 AM.

30 years old? You must be joking. I basically never had a job (too short to put down on resumes for the ones I had). Does 4 years of college count as a "job"?

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 04:21 AM ----------

Were you allowed to use a computer or phone too? What was your job title i the Navy?
    If you took the time to go through 4 years of college.. REAL college, not some university of phoenix crap with like 3 credits a term.. go get a REAL job.

I did go to a real college but I still want the type of job where you work 5 min/hour.

I did go to a real college but I still want the type of job where you work 5 min/hour.
    In all of the people I know working security, me and the other guy has the first half of the week has this shift and "do nothing" job.
    Hate to break it to you, but you're not going to gear near lucky enough to get a 'do nothing job'

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 12:39 AM ----------

I am unsubbing from this thread. It is pointless and a waste of time. Not to mention the repeated thread posting.
    This thread should be closed.

How did you get the 'do nothing job' whereas most others didn't?

Why not try and collect some unemployment while you're at it? Just reading your posts made my blood pressure rise >.< How about you go find a job where you get paid for actually doing something and not for not doing? Boy, I really hope you don't find anything at all, you really do not deserve a salary with this attitude.

How does Earth hold people like you? Ugh!

Might be feeding, actually. :/
    Last edited by Taianne; 2012-12-30 at 08:44 AM.

There are only two options to get a job where you have to do nothing.

Option A is to take a job that isn't important and not well payed like working at the postal office where you have to work only long enough until your work is done for the day. Your route is supposed to last for 6-8 hours but not everybody will have mail to be delivered and therefore you can finish your route most of the times in 2-4 hours but get paid the full 8 hours which is still not much.

Option B is to take a job that is very important and well payed. In this scenario you're paid a lot because you're important and well trained and too valuable to actually do anything for a long time. Jobs like that are e.g. supervisors at stores that sit all day in their office, do some paperwork, do their rounds through the store every hour or two and the rest of the time they just wait that anything happens. Or a job in a university. As a scientific assistant you often do nothing but wait for new work. When working at the university all I did was wait that some students appear to ask some questions or do some experiments where I had to set them up, wait for some hours, write down some numbers, tweak some settings and wait again and in the end when the experiment is over I had to put the numbers in the computer and wait again until there's new work for me.

So with no job at all before your only option would be option A where you don't get much money and barely will make it to the end of the month. In order to get a job from option B you have to work a lot at first so that you're one of the best of the best to have the chance to get such a job. And let me tell you. At first it's cool to have a lot of free time but very quickly you'll realize that having that much free time is boring as hell (that's the reason why I don't work at the university anymore). Now I work as a civil engineer and it's a lot more stressful job with sometime 12-14 hours shifts but the work is fun and time flies by like nothing.

@lordjust
    Thank you.
    Was your experience in the US?

How did you get the 'do nothing job' whereas most others didn't?
    It's just dumb luck. If you ask for the 'do nothing job' or even give the impression you are lazy any manager will make sure you have the 'do something job'. The people who end up doing nothing just happened to be in the right place at the right time to be given *a* job to do, which turned out to not be as demanding as the manager thought it would be or could be.

@Windfury
    Thank you. Did you work at security too?

@Windfury
    Thank you. Did you work at security too?
    No, I teach, which is a busy job. I've had 'do nothing' jobs before I started teaching, mainly through uni when I worked as an office temp, but they were never intentionally do nothing jobs, I was sent to do something and got it done quicker than expected or it was a job with alternating busy/quiet periods in which they'd forget to assign me something to do in some of the quiet times.

Overall I much (time a million) prefer the busy job.

In all seriousness I don't think you're going to actively find what you're looking for. You may luck into it, but you may well have to actually work first, and you'll certainly have to be prepared to work. The best thing you can do is instead look for something that you'd basically enjoy doing and try that, even if it's not as enjoyable to you as doing nothing.

It could depend on your job. I am a 25P in the Army. I do strategic work. I have 11 OC-192 trunks I watch over, many voice circuits, and servers. When I am on night shift like I am right now (we have to man our shop 24/7) I spend alot of time on Youtube when I finish my college classes and do an hour of correspondence courses. It sucks, I hate sitting on my ass for 12 hours doing nothing. It's the kind of Job when nothing breaks you have nothing to do. Even if something breaks sometimes the User / distant end isn't in at 3am so there isn't a whole lot we can do to remedy they problem. That person doesn't know how to be productive. I am enrolled in college, boost my promotion points, and I am working on Security+ and Network+ certs. Some people have initiative others don't.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one else finds this dude weird (OP) he sure is asking alot of ?s everyone is divulging all of this information to him, about security and job duties, and also doesnt respond to anything personal like "how old are you" "your a lazy fuck" i mean come on everyone on here would respond to that shit.......Im on too you (points AT freeti) AKA freetime

Quote Originally Posted by Junir View Post
    No one else finds this dude weird (OP) he sure is asking alot of ?s everyone is divulging all of this information to him, about security and job duties, and also doesnt respond to anything personal like "how old are you" "your a lazy fuck" i mean come on everyone on here would respond to that shit.......Im on too you (points AT freeti) AKA freetime
    So, the OP now knows the Army has Communications that are monitored 24/7 and hospitals with guards in them. I'm pretty sure most people would assume those things already exist. Ontop of that most of the stuff said in the post can be found with a little bit of googling.