Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    Like the guide videos a lot.. thanks! (not sure if you were apart of them lol). I've been putting up all my gold challenge modes on my youtube channel as well. :P

But question, for the most part SV is the main spec for all challenge modes. Would you say, with the buff to SS, that at ilevel 463.. SV is just better overall, even single target. I've found this to be true, at least for me.

I just feel that BM lacks big time right now in challenge modes.
    You don't save any time on switching specs mid-run and the trash is more important than the bosses and BM is just horrible on the trash so there's almost no point in going BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    You don't save any time on switching specs mid-run and the trash is more important than the bosses and BM is just horrible on the trash so there's almost no point in going BM.
    That's what I figured. I went BM once, for the lust, and it just felt so lacking.

Just in case anyone is interested, I'm streaming Gate of the Setting Sun. 9:06 is our current time with a very bad pull, so we hope to get a great time and WR before we log off!

EDIT: We took down Gate of the Setting Sun. I'll post a video of our very, very sloppy attempt in the original post. I played pretty badly by my personal standards but the end result was good. It's not very Hunter friendly in terms of CD use when going for a sub 9 minute times so cooldown use was fairly sub optimal. I figured out some fairly nice QoL / Tips and tricks for that instance though, so that's good.
    Last edited by Savedwow; 2013-01-04 at 05:12 AM.

I know this is the hunter forums but I just wanted to say I'm looking forward to go back to TJS and beat your time .

Quote Originally Posted by Nerthfu View Post
    I know this is the hunter forums but I just wanted to say I'm looking forward to go back to TJS and beat your time .
    It's cool and good luck doing so! We are primarily raiders and don't have a lot of free time for CMs so we're trying to get good times in all of them before we put effort into maximizing. Our composition will definitely have to change to put times into 'unreachable' status, and the most likely change will be swapping out Shaman for Priest heals, or straight up 4 DPS 1 Tank everything we can. The only time I actually felt comfortable with is TJS though, so if you can beat that by anything more than 10-15 seconds, amazing job! After the exhilaration wore off, it was painfully obvious we could easily shave significant time off most of cur current times but TJS I don't really see that as being likely without a new strategy, and even then, there's only so much you can actually do. Shado-Pan we can cut off probably 2 minutes, Scarlet Halls at least another 45 seconds, and it goes on and on for the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaving View Post
    It's cool and good luck doing so! We are primarily raiders and don't have a lot of free time for CMs so we're trying to get good times in all of them before we put effort into maximizing. Our composition will definitely have to change to put times into 'unreachable' status, and the most likely change will be swapping out Shaman for Priest heals, or straight up 4 DPS 1 Tank everything we can. The only time I actually felt comfortable with is TJS though, so if you can beat that by anything more than 10-15 seconds, amazing job! After the exhilaration wore off, it was painfully obvious we could easily shave significant time off most of cur current times but TJS I don't really see that as being likely without a new strategy, and even then, there's only so much you can actually do. Shado-Pan we can cut off probably 2 minutes, Scarlet Halls at least another 45 seconds, and it goes on and on for the others.
    Yeah I understand your point, we feel the same with all our run, we can even see a possible time in sh under 7 min next time we get in there. Every time I think back on a challenge we see so much room for improvement. I thank you for guys for motivating us to perform better tho.

I was really intrigued in your 14min run of shado-pan, considering most people do 19-20 mins... so i watched your stream but you dont seem to skip all the trash before taran zhu.. i dont understand? Dont you have to click the bodies of the fallen pandaren to complete the goldmode? You show yourself being disconnected so its not very clear.

@Saved
    Two minutes faster in Shado-Pan? I'm looking forward to that (no sarcasm). I think we had a pretty decent run last night, even though our comp could have been better (bringing 2 hunters wasn't exactly what we had in mind). It's true that we're constantly trading times right now, as both teams are going for good but not optimal times. I like that however; the iterative process of improving in time attacks is really really fun. I don't think we have done any challenge yet where we have exhausted our ideas or means of cutting time, as we still think of something new everytime we run a dungeon. The battle for seconds and milleseconds is still far ahead.

@Dreyen
    You need to do 4 purifications which can be performed simultaneously on the first body. You can then skip all of the remaining trash.
    Last edited by Harmonium; 2013-01-05 at 01:04 AM.

I have a few pretty fun and risky ideas to gain some significant time in Shado-Pan Monastery which is why I think 2 minutes faster isn't out of the question, especially with a clean run otherwise with no disconnects and possibly more DPS from our healer or switching to a Priest. There's always more that we can do but until people beat our times there really isn't any incentive to go and do it when we could be putting time in on other instances. With such few hours of time available for us to do CM's between raids, work, real life etc, it's just not a priority to keep going back to instances we already completed and have very respectable times in. The only exception was Scarlet Halls as our first we posted was absolutely atrocious in retrospect, and we knew we could go and beat that time by a fairly significant margin.

I love the competition aspect of it all. If we didn't love the competition, then we probably wouldn't stream the CM's live and also post the videos, strategies etc for other people to copy and emulate. We don't believe in that and the competition is all part of the fun, and I personally feel that if someone can copy our strategy, or modify our strategy and get a superior time - they deserve it. Also, it's kind of expected for us to post challenge mode videos after our success with our CM guides back when we first completed gold CM's many, many months ago.

The next step in getting better times is picking / choosing specific gear sets to be fully optimized for CMs. I'll probably start looking into that soon so I have the gear ready when needed. Until then, I'm just in raid gear, raid reforges, and raid spec.

Dreyen, that's a good question. We purified the first pack 4 times and thankfully I disconnected after that and not before, as we would have had to wipe and restart the instance. We may have been able to still kill a trash pack in the time we had available and still beat the then record, but it would have been unlikely.
    Last edited by Savedwow; 2013-01-05 at 02:34 AM.

4 purifications on the same body?.. lol... do you have to time it like a milisecond or as long as everybody clicks it its fine?

Some friends of mine were asking me earlier how we managed our time in Shado-Pan, to which I replied that we should be uploading a video of our run fairly soon, in which nothing is hidden; we also tend to answer players' more precise questions. I think it's an interesting attitude that the more competitive groups share right now. We've seen you stream (Nerth and myself were taking bets on what time you'd do in GSS — turns out I owe him gold now), we've seen Devai stream, we've seen the Mogu'shan Palace run from the Belgians. Everyone seems inclined to make this a race of execution more than of cleverness, which I think honors the competition.

As far as optimizing gear is concerned... I can't speak for every damage dealer we run with (as they're raiders like you guys are), but Nerth and myself have been forging our own sets of gear to work well together.
    Last edited by Harmonium; 2013-01-05 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonium View Post
    Some friends of mine were asking me earlier how we managed our time in Shado-Pan, to which I replied that we should be uploading a video of our run fairly soon, in which nothing is hidden; we also tend to answer players' more precise questions. I think it's an interesting attitude that the more competitive groups share right now. We've seen you stream (Nerth and myself were taking bets on what time you'd do in GSS — turns out I owe him gold now), we've seen Devai stream, we've seen the Mogu'shan Palace run from the Belgians. Everyone seems inclined to make this a race of execution more than of cleverness, which I think honors the competition.

As far as optimizing gear is concerned... I can't speak for every damage dealer we run with (as they're raiders like you guys are), but Nerth and myself have been forging our own sets of gear to work well together.
    I can't speak for the other people I run with, but I generally have more free time than a lot of them so it's probably accurate. I just don't have the time to go back and get specific gear sets etc for CMs yet, and when it gets to a point where we can't actually beat our times or times that others have posted then I will probably put the effort into trying to get a better gear set. My gear is pretty terribly itemized for CMs and I have to rely on solid play (which isn't a guarantee; everyone has their off nights).

Yeah, there's no secrets on my end. If someone wants to execute our strategy better than we did, let them. It's fun getting a good time that you feel was pretty good, but it's also fun seeing times others post and have to beat those. TJS is probably our 'best' time and will probably be the hardest to beat, but we knew our other times were more than beatable.

Heck, I got a new weapon in a raid before we posted a lot of our 'good' times, and I didn't even have it enchanted with my scope for a few days which was a pretty newbie mistake. Nearly 2k agility is pretty significant for DPS and would have really shaved off some time on each trash pack in SH, SPM, TJS etc. Oh well though.

The only thing that really separates us from others is that we keep everything in-guild and work with our guild members to get our times. There's very few mains in the groups and usually at least 2 alts. We may be half decent raiders but not everyone of us plays our alt as good as our main. Too bad we didn't have more people interested and could field full mains and see how that changes our times.