Deleted

Looking for a new PC monitor

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a new monitor for my new PC, since I've been using the old 6-year-old crap monitor since I didn't have the money for a new one. I've been thinking aobut 27 " monitor, but my friend claims that it looks absolutely awful when playing with 1920 x 1080 resolution. He told me that I should rather get 24~ " monitor. Also I've been looking into getting nvidia 3d for my pc, and I would like your input on is it any good?

My budget for the monitor is between 200-350 €. And could you please include what makes the monitor "good" other than "I've had it for years and it's still working :O". I also would like to know why 27 " would be inferior.

Deleted
    what kind of rig do you have to power said monitor? else with your budget you might be interested in ips 27" 1440p(that is if you got the hardware to back it up)
    else you should be looking at either asus/samsung/benq/iiyama in no particular order.
    most of the time 27" with 1080p is starting to show lack of pixel density, thus lower image quality. (think along going tv route as pc monitor)
    also low reaction times are harder to find on 27" screens. (mostly matters for fps but once going above 10ms smoothness of gaming is affected)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    what kind of rig do you have to power said monitor? else with your budget you might be interested in ips 27" 1440p(that is if you got the hardware to back it up)
    else you should be looking at either asus/samsung/benq/iiyama in no particular order.
    most of the time 27" with 1080p is starting to show lack of pixel density, thus lower image quality. (think along going tv route as pc monitor)
    also low reaction times are harder to find on 27" screens. (mostly matters for fps but once going above 10ms smoothness of gaming is affected)
    I'm currently running with

Intel i7-2600k 3,4Ghz
    8gb ram
    nvidia GeForce GTX 570

And Notarget:

The thread doesn't really mention nvidia 3d capabilities and such. It also doesn't answer the part about 27 " monitors that I asked.

Deleted
    No I know, the thread was more for suggestions once you had your 27", multi monitor setup questions answered. I would also steer clear of 27" for 1080p for the reasons mentioned already. 3D is a gimmick in my opinion so I'm probably not the person to ask.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    I'm currently running with

Intel i7-2600k 3,4Ghz
    8gb ram
    nvidia GeForce GTX 570

And Notarget:

The thread doesn't really mention nvidia 3d capabilities and such. It also doesn't answer the part about 27 " monitors that I asked.
    what kind of sites do you have acces to? (personally a 570 can run a 27" ips screen but it requires quite some lowering of settings)
    likely better option to get a solid 1080p 24" screen with good colors and 2 ms reaction time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    what kind of sites do you have acces to? (personally a 570 can run a 27" ips screen but it requires quite some lowering of settings)
    likely better option to get a solid 1080p 24" screen with good colors and 2 ms reaction time.
    There's a 24 " monitor with 1200p in Marest's sample thread. Does it make much of a difference compared to 1080p?

1200p does make a bit of difference. You'll notice it right away if you're coming or leaving a 1080p display.

A 570 with 1.25GB RAM would be really pushing it on a 1440p IPS monitor though. I'd stick with a 1200p monitor.
    CPU - i9 9900k | CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | Motherboard - MSI Z390 Godlike | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti
    RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | SSD - 2x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe | PSU - EVGA Supernova 750w P2 |Case - Corsair Air 540

Deleted
    A 1200p monitor is very nice. I used to have one but switched to 1080p. Just because I was looking for two new identical monitors. I still prefer 1200p above 1080p but 1080p seems cheaper to produce, which is why a 1080p monitor can be a lot cheaper as a 1200p one.

I'm currently using two Iiyama e2473hds-b1, which are very popular in my country. (The Netherlands). The brand might be a little unfamilliar, but the monitors are quite nice. Reason why I picked these: They look very basic, no weird lights or colors. The image quality is rather good, response time is excellent and the price is very nice. Next to that, I was looking for good connectivity, and these monitors have 2 HDMI ports, 1 DVI port, 1 VGA port and one audio in, one audio out. The monitor even has tiny speakers, but don't expect anything from that. The control panel is easy to use and there is even an option to disable the power LED.

The only thing I do not like about these monitors is the backlight bleeding from the sides, it's not very much but it is noticable when looking at a black screen.

All with all, I recommend this monitor when you're not looking to spend very much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velophyx View Post
    A 1200p monitor is very nice. I used to have one but switched to 1080p. Just because I was looking for two new identical monitors. I still prefer 1200p above 1080p but 1080p seems cheaper to produce, which is why a 1080p monitor can be a lot cheaper as a 1200p one.

I'm currently using two Iiyama e2473hds-b1, which are very popular in my country. (The Netherlands). The brand might be a little unfamilliar, but the monitors are quite nice. Reason why I picked these: They look very basic, no weird lights or colors. The image quality is rather good, response time is excellent and the price is very nice. Next to that, I was looking for good connectivity, and these monitors have 2 HDMI ports, 1 DVI port, 1 VGA port and one audio in, one audio out. The monitor even has tiny speakers, but don't expect anything from that. The control panel is easy to use and there is even an option to disable the power LED.

The only thing I do not like about these monitors is the backlight bleeding from the sides, it's not very much but it is noticable when looking at a black screen.

All with all, I recommend this monitor when you're not looking to spend very much.
    seconded got a iiyama as primary gaming screen for my dual screen setup due to amazing speccs/image quality. (1080p)
    is dual screen perhaps an option? (i was sold after a week of using it and i lack space for general tasks the moment im stuck on a single screen :-( )
    if not i'd still go for the 24" asus one due to gtx 570 will likely have it's limitations in top settings for certain games. (minor tweaks are fine but having to go for medium/high settings wouldn't be my choice)