question about youtube partnerships

so im considering the idea of making basically a nerd news channel on youtube and had a quick question. the intention is to become a youtube partner and these questions relate specifically to being a youtube partner and generating income off of it.

recently THQ filed for bankruptcy, say i was talking about this and i put up an image of the THQ logo, is that okay? i know i shouldnt be posting things like videogame footage, but what about images and screenshots? say i find an interesting piece of art on deviantart and want to talk about it on my news channel and i put the image in the video without asking the person who drew it, is that okay?

if i want to have any of those images i talked about on my channel do i need permission for all of them? which ones do and which ones dont?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, screw them all.

If you want to post X thing, just do it. If tehy'd be clever enough they'd be happy about it since you are spreading the word.... just remember to put their name anywhere. Is not like they can do anything to you.. the worse it take down your video.

no, the worst is i get banned from the partnership program and can never join again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seaplusplus View Post
    no, the worst is i get banned from the partnership program and can never join again.
    Hmmm... yes. That is true... and their bans can be worse than that WoW terms and conditions... what was it, banned for any reason or no reason at all?

I was actually curious about this too, but I'll be speaking to a trademark / copyright lawyer about my questions in the new year when they come back from leave :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post

If you want to post X thing, just do it. If tehy'd be clever enough they'd be happy about it since you are spreading the word.... just remember to put their name anywhere. Is not like they can do anything to you.. the worse it take down your video.
    I aggre... if you dont make money out of it you dont hurt them at all. But when it goes too the music you can actuly convert youtube videos into mp3. Even if video gets muted you can stil get the music .... i know...stupid. (you actuly *hurt* the music companys -- wich no1 likes anyway and not the autors who should get money anyway, and they are not).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post

No no no no no.

Don't post something you don't have permission to, you won't get partner with some networks because of copyright and you could possibly get strikes which are not good at all. If your video gets popular (very hard for a small channel) and you then have to take it down because of posting a picture you weren't supposed to then you will regret it hugely (been there..).