Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

MMO Champion Game of the Year

Alright, so with every game site doing their own personal game of the year awards I thought, we, the fine folks of MMO-Champion could band together and come up with our own game of the year list. So, here's how this will be done. Post your top 5 games, 1 being the best of course. I will count how many times each game is mentioned and take the 5 that were on the most lists. Then, I will average the position of those games on that list.

There are only 2 rules to this: 1. It has to have been released in the year 2012. 2. It has to be a video game. That's it. It can be a remake, a console port, whatever. Just make sure that it has been released in 2012. Also, feel free to give some feedback as to why the game is your game of the year.

So, I'll start it off.

5. Torchlight 2: An absolutely fantastic ARPG. The gameplay was fluid and it really brought me back to the days of playing FATE when I was little. My only problem with the game was the drop rates. Maybe it was my own luck, but I could go 10 or 15 levels without upgrading a certain piece. Torchlight 1 also had this problem and I found that by the end of the game my gear was so terrible that I starting taking major damage from the enemies and sometimes even being 1 shot. The balance wasn't as bad as Torchlight towards the end, but it could be improved.

4. Pokemon Black and White 2: I know some people will disagree with me on this one, but this is some of the most fun I've had in a Pokemon game since Soulsilver. The amount of endgame stuff to do is phenominal. Usually after I beat a Pokemon game, I usually set it down for a little while before diving back in to catch all the Pokemon, but I found myself searching for the team to do the Pokemon World Championship. I loved the appearance of all the old gym leaders. Not to mention that the game had a nice level of difficulty to it. It has an incredible amount of replayability to it, even more so than its predecessors.

3. Halo 4: Halo 4 is a game that I feel somewhat guilty for having on my top 5 list, considering it's pretty much more of the same, but I loved it. The campaign (albeit short) was probably the best of the series. The emotion in the story was pretty well done. They made Master Chief look like more of a human than a mindless soldier like in previous games. Spartan Ops is also a great feature. Getting a group of 3 friends and playing through the new missions is alot of fun and it gets you looking forward to the next chapter. The multiplayer is pretty much more of the same, but honestly Halo has some of the best FPS multiplayer around, so you can't really ask for more.

2. The Walking Dead: I struggled with deciding whether to make this my #1 or not, but honestly I can't bring myself to do that. This game has one of the most heart-wrenching stories I have ever seen in a video game. So much so that I was in tears at the end, but it's hard to give it my "game" of the year award. The shooting sequences are atrocious and the puzzles actually become an annoyance towards the end of the game. The main attraction of this game is your interaction with the characters. I have NEVER felt more of a connection to a character than I have with Clementine. The writing and character development is incredible. The only thing that I'm disappointed with is that your choices don't have a major impact events of the story. If someone is meant to die, then they will die regardless of what you do. This is like the Suicide Mission in Mass Effect 2 where you choices affect who dies. The same characters will always either make it through an episode or they won't. Now, don't get me wrong. The reason I am so critical of this game is because I love it so much. In my opinion it is a MUST PLAY game and will probably be one of the most memorable games I'll ever play.

1. Dishonored: Arkane Studios. I just have to give them a gigantic round of applause. At the end of a console generation we fall into sequelitis. Not many new IPs are released, but Arkane not only released a new IP, but an incredible one. Dunwall is such an interesting and well thought out city. It's mystique is akin to that of Rapture in Bioshock 1 and 2, but it's unlike anything I've ever explored. The gameplay is incredible as well. The variety of abilites makes it to where you can kill enemies and hundreds of different ways and sneak around using your various tools. I tip my hat to Bethesda for believing in and supporting this new IP and to Arkane Studios for creating such an interesting game.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 05:43 PM ----------

Also, I want to add that there are still alot of games from this year that I haven't played through of am currently playing through. This year has been incredible for games and coming up with a top 5 was a tough decision.

Does it have to be 5 games? While I have played slightly more than 5 games this year, I was quite dissapointed with some of them. But I'll give it a shot:

1. The Walking Dead - Amazing storytelling, with a hearthbreaking ending that makes you cry manly tears. Almost all of the characters were likeable and realistic. This game is easily much better than the TV serie

2. Far Cry 3 - This is how imo most singleplayer FPS games should've been, instead of boring linear gameplay and overused cutscenes. I love all the freedom you have in this game.

3. Alan Wake: American Nightmare - While not as good as the original Alan Wake game, it still had a great atmosphere and story going on. The new weapons were pretty fun, and the new enemies were a pretty great addition. Still hoping to see more enemy animals, possesed by the Darkness

4. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - Vastly better than Cataclysm, and is going its way to be in league with TBC and WotLK. While I really dislike the overuse of daily content for end game, the game managed to fix a lot of stuff that Cataclysm broke.

5. Guild Wars 2 - While I didn't play the game that much, it was still a good new experience for a second MMORPG that I played in my life. I still need to buy the game myself, but I'm looking forward to play more than I had.

I also bought and fully played Diablo 3, but I find that game a huge dissapointment. I wouldn't dare to rank it as a Game of the Year nominee :P

1) Persona 4 Golden
    2) Walking Dead
    3) Halo 4
    4) Far Cry 3

Cant really think of a 5th game that wowed be this year

Deleted
    1. Pokémon Black 2 & White 2
    2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    3. Planetside 2
    4. Dishonored
    5. Diablo 3
    6. Guild Wars 2
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2012-12-29 at 11:56 PM. Reason: forgot PS2

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Planetside 2 (so far so good anyways xD)
    2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    3. Pokémon Black 2 & White 2
    4. Halo 4
    5. FTL: Faster Than Light

I drafted an EOY list for my friends earlier this week. Not too firm on all of these and I haven't played many console games. Since I don't actually own a console myself. Also I am not too keen on shooting games.

Nonetheless I really enjoyed these games.

Notable (all 7-ish out of 10): Rayman Origins, Trine 2, Legend of Grimrock, Crusader Kings 2, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Tokyo Jungle, Pokemon Black & White 2, Lucius, Borderlands 2, The Walking Dead

10. Dishonored (7 out of 10)

09. The Secret World (7 out of 10) *

08. Faster Than Light (7 out of 10)

07. Spec Ops: The Line (7 out of 10)

06. Awesomenauts (8 out of 10)

05. Rift: Storm Legion ( 8 out of 10)

04. X-Com: Enemy Unknown (8 out of 10)

03. Journey (9 out of 10)

02. Hotline Miami (9 our of 10)

01. Torchlight 2 ( 10 out of 10)

*Really tough choice between Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World for me. Both games are great fun. However, the theme and setting of TSW is more appealing to me than a fantasy setting. Also I enjoyed the story of TSW more so than Guild Wars 2's personal story.

Edit: All personal opinion, natch. I don't quite get into all the subjectivity stuff because it's not too useful usually. For what it's worth [nothing] those were simply the games I had fun with this year. Again, for whatever it is worth.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-29 at 11:30 PM.

Truely sad how I cant even rank 5 games! Of the games I played this year the list is really only 3 releases in 2012.

1. Diablo 3. While the game has so huge flaws, and a very bad team backing it up (Atleast thats whay they come off as) it did kill me some 300 hours so far, and all the time on the AH.

2. Pokemon Black/White 2. So far I clocked about 150 hours of active game time into it, and thats with only fully maxing the game and no pokedex hunting, and lvling up a "near-perfect" trained team with all that such team requires, and ofcourse dabbling inn the end-game until I had beaten everything but 100 medals+, and now my team sits at level 75. Eventually I will proboaly reach 200 hours of gametime, witch I consider great for thoes games (Silver I clocked inn about 200 for instance, back inn the days).

3. Torchlight 2. I found the game to be good fun while it lasted, and with a price-tag as cheap as 15$ I cant complain. I made it to level 100 and about 75 hours of played, grinded abit of gear, and enchanted them, and by then I was quit bored. Still it was fun, and I might play it another time again.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

1. - Kid Icarus Uprising

2. Mists of Pandaria
    3. New Super Mario Bros. U
    4. Pokemon Black/White 2
    5. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Kid Icarus is the only one that stood out. Most other years I probably wouldn't even have considered the last five, but they were the only games I even slightly enjoyed. This was a pretty boring year.
    Last edited by Duruka; 2012-12-30 at 04:18 AM.

My choice is The Walking Dead. I absolutely love adventure games, I love solving puzzles and with adventure games usually comes great story telling. I'm glad Telltale Studios has brought the adventure genre back to the mainstream and gotten people interested again. It was an amazing story that really made you latch onto the characters. The game play was simple, yet effective and for people that don't play adventure games, even they loved it. Big grats to Telltale for continuing to dellver. The graphics aren't amazing by any stretch, but the developers and everyone involved do the best they can with what they have to work with. I remember when the previews for this game were first released. Everyone harped on the graphics a lot. As well, people thought it was going to be some first person shooter. No, this was an adventure game. Again, thank you to Telltale for showing everyone that gameplay/storytelling > graphics.
    Last edited by KCguy; 2012-12-29 at 11:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    1. - Kid Icarus Uprising

2. Mists of Pandaria
    3. New Super Mario Bros. U
    4. Pokemon Black/White 2
    5. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Kid Icarus is the only one that stood out. Most other years I probably wouldn't even have considered the last five, but they were the only games I even slightly enjoyed. This was an incredibly disappointing year.
    Due to the games you listed, my question for you is: Do you only play nintendo games/consoles? This year was incredible for games, but the thing was it was lower budget games that made this year shine. Games like Unfinished Swan, Fez, Journey, and The Walking Dead. This isn't like 2011 where there were tons of AAA titles coming out left and right.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm suprised BW2 is getting so many votes. I was actually really disappointed in the game. I hope the sequels isnt Nintendo's future model because it really didnt work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since my brain doesn't know what I played this year for some odd reason.

I'm just going to go with Borderlands 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. The Secret World
    2. Pokemon Black and White 2
    3. Battlefield 3 Armored Kill
    4. Battlefield 3 Aftermath

That's all iv played really (not including Pandaria which doesn't even deserve a place).

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry haters, mine is ME3.

Yes, ending sucked, but I really enjoyed the game overall and I felt the extended cut fixed most of the issues with the ending (it still kinda sucks with the starbrat though.)

The character development, the storytelling (for the most part,) the music, the emotional content was awesome.

Dishonored is close though. Haven't finished TWD, haven't even gone far into it, so I can't really say anything about it.
    Putin khuliyo

Kid Icarus Uprising
    Pokemon B/W2
    Guild Wars 2

Eh, most of the games he played this year didn't actually come out this year. The others aren't worth mentioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I'm suprised BW2 is getting so many votes. I was actually really disappointed in the game. I hope the sequels isnt Nintendo's future model because it really didnt work.
    Really? Skelington thinks the sequels work way better than a third game like yellow, crystal, emerald, and platinum. BW2 added a lot more content than the others have and expanded on the first real in depth story the series has had, plus Mei is perfection.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Really? Skelington thinks the sequels work way better than a third game like yellow, crystal, emerald, and platinum. BW2 added a lot more content than the others have and expanded on the first real in depth story the series has had, plus Mei is perfection.
    I think my main problem was i just expected it to be more different from the original than it really was. The 3rd games usually had very minor differences and they hyped how this was a change from that, but it fell a bit flat for me.

Harvest Moon a New Beginning
    GW2
    BW2

Honestly, not many WOW AMAZING games this year, I did sink a lot of time in HM: ANB and GW2 however.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Since my brain doesn't know what I played this year for some odd reason.
    I'm just going to go with Borderlands 2.
    Yeah, I'd agree with this. As well as:
    2. Pokemon B/W2
    3. GW2
    4. Kid Icarus: Uprising
    and maybe 5. Darksiders II.
    To be fair, these are really all the new games I've played this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Due to the games you listed, my question for you is: Do you only play nintendo games/consoles? This year was incredible for games, but the thing was it was lower budget games that made this year shine. Games like Unfinished Swan, Fez, Journey, and The Walking Dead. This isn't like 2011 where there were tons of AAA titles coming out left and right.
    Not entirely, although mostly and I will admit I'm biased.

Haven't played Fez, but I don't like the developer and I don't really want to support him. PS3 is the only modern console I don't own, so I can't play Journey. I haven't gotten around to Walking Dead yet, although I'd like to, and I've never even heard of Unfinished Swan.

Honestly, I've just never been a fan of indie games in general (besides a few I've enjoyed). And most of the AAA games this year have been disappointing, Nintendo or otherwise, so I didn't end up playing or enjoying very much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, my original plan was to compile a list of the top 5, but since everyone is posting less than 5 games, I'm just gonna choose whichever game is mentioned the most.