Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why the game is worse than before

    Its not.

    The community is.

    Remember vanilla 2005? Remember TBC 2006?

    You ran BRC with the group from trade chat. You're level 53 and playing your first character and so are they. You have been in here for 2 hours and not even half way done. You might wipe a couple times, people make mistakes.

    People appologize in chat and no one is getting kicked and people just laugh it off. An item drops, 3 people can use it. 1 person wins and the other two does not suddenly get the massive feel of entitlement over it and kick the winner.

    Everyone on the server knew eachother, everyone had a rep for something they have done in the past and everyone knows how good of a person/player that guy standing afk in ironforge is.

    Nobody gave a fuck if you did low damage, nobody cared if you sat in AV all day or raided naxx 7 days a week.
    Nobody gave a fuck if you got carried through Karazhan to free epix by some guild that needed a last dps.

    Selfish assholes that is 80% of the community these days are the complete opposite of what I described now.



    I was a raider in TBC, still am now. I did not raid in vanilla as I was totally new. I dinged 60 on my main a few months before TBC was released and all I did was UBRS/Scholomance and battlegrounds.


    I sit now in my chair sipping on some rum'ncoke thinking of what happened to this game. I think of how the game went to shit, where it actually did not but the community did. I blame server changes and cross realm dungeons. They were a good concept yes, but those things are what ruined this games "feel"

    The game is fine, the community is not.

    /rant off

  2. #2
    Should just replace 95% of human players with bots that will give you gold and praise your remarkable skills.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Blame the players, not the system. The system didn't turn people into jackasses, it just made it less penalizing to be one.
    Exactly my point.

    Players saw a opportunity to act like asses because anonymity.

  4. #4
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakzlol View Post
    Its not.

    The community is.

    Remember vanilla 2005? Remember TBC 2006?

    You ran BRC with the group from trade chat. You're level 53 and playing your first character and so are they. You have been in here for 2 hours and not even half way done. You might wipe a couple times, people make mistakes.

    People appologize in chat and no one is getting kicked and people just laugh it off. An item drops, 3 people can use it. 1 person wins and the other two does not suddenly get the massive feel of entitlement over it and kick the winner.

    Everyone on the server knew eachother, everyone had a rep for something they have done in the past and everyone knows how good of a person/player that guy standing afk in ironforge is.

    Nobody gave a fuck if you did low damage, nobody cared if you sat in AV all day or raided naxx 7 days a week.
    Nobody gave a fuck if you got carried through Karazhan to free epix by some guild that needed a last dps.

    Selfish assholes that is 80% of the community these days are the complete opposite of what I described now.



    I was a raider in TBC, still am now. I did not raid in vanilla as I was totally new. I dinged 60 on my main a few months before TBC was released and all I did was UBRS/Scholomance and battlegrounds.


    I sit now in my chair sipping on some rum'ncoke thinking of what happened to this game. I think of how the game went to shit, where it actually did not but the community did. I blame server changes and cross realm dungeons. They were a good concept yes, but those things are what ruined this games "feel"

    The game is fine, the community is not.

    /rant off
    Remember TBC 2006 We still had total assholes, trolls and shitbags. The community is the same

  5. #5
    Dreadlord Ninaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Remember TBC 2006 We still had total assholes, trolls and shitbags. The community is the same
    Yeah, there was the occasional douchebag. But LFR, LFD and CRZ gave them the massive playground they needed. I agree with OP. Game is better than before, the community just sucks.. or what's left of it.

  6. #6
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Yeah, there was the occasional douchebag. But LFR, LFD and CRZ gave them the massive playground they needed. I agree with OP. Game is better than before, the community just sucks.. or what's left of it.


    Lfr, LFS, Random bgs, CRZ all helped the cesspool become what it is.

    You forgot how blizzard stop giving a shit about people being cunts and now tell you to use the right click report spam. That sir was the final nail in the community coffin.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Remember TBC 2006 We still had total assholes, trolls and shitbags. The community is the same
    Yes we did. They were also shunned and blacklisted by the entire server. You obviously don't remember much about what happened when a player had a bad reputation. If they were invited to a run, the leader of the run would be warned and would kick on the first sight of anything bad happening with that player.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

  8. #8
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    16,856
    OP, I am in total agreeance with you.

    I to was someone who began wow before TBC came out, and only joined my first guild around the time they began to raid kara, and when we sometimes did 5 man heroics, or asked on trade for more people to come.. and this isn't just rose colored glasses, it genuinely was a better time. I didn't have addons back in TBC, I didn't even know what they were or where to get them from, and yet it didn't seem to matter to anyone how the dps was, people just enjoyed it, and raiding was more fun then a chore.

    Wow still had it assholes back then too, but the greater majority seemed to just enjoy the game more and so it worked in parley with eachother.

    mechanics that allow people to treat each other like shit, talk to one another like there trash, and then run away like piss ant little cowards became the norm with LFG/LFR and BG ques.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  9. #9
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanamman View Post
    Yes we did. They were also shunned and blacklisted by the entire server. You obviously don't remember much about what happened when a player had a bad reputation. If they were invited to a run, the leader of the run would be warned and would kick on the first sight of anything bad happening with that player.

    you must not remember payed name changes or server transfers. Also Hyjal -us, Ner'zul -us and Mal'gains - us had a huge truck load of dickbags in bc

    Edit:

    Your right tho we had less of them than now
    Last edited by But I Hate You All; 2012-12-31 at 01:04 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    OP, I am in total agreeance with you.

    I to was someone who began wow before TBC came out, and only joined my first guild around the time they began to raid kara, and when we sometimes did 5 man heroics, or asked on trade for more people to come.. and this isn't just rose colored glasses, it genuinely was a better time. I didn't have addons back in TBC, I didn't even know what they were or where to get them from, and yet it didn't seem to matter to anyone how the dps was, people just enjoyed it, and raiding was more fun then a chore.

    Wow still had it assholes back then too, but the greater majority seemed to just enjoy the game more and so it worked in parley with eachother.
    I miss this time. Everybody was happen as long as the boss went down. Dps meters were there, but they weren't used to kick unless it was the reason you failed the boss. People were generally nicer and more open to helping new players nail down their rotations and overall improve as a player. Now if you have bad dps, you are just kicked and a new player found.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Lfr, LFS, Random bgs, CRZ all helped the cesspool become what it is.

    You forgot how blizzard stop giving a shit about people being cunts and now tell you to use the right click report spam. That sir was the final nail in the community coffin.
    Random BG's actually was pretty good for server community, it was fun reading on forums how X realm player started crying on Y realm forums how Y Realm group destroyed them, or how they destroyed Y realm group". and usually people started to defend there own realm and players.

    I think paid server xfers, paid name changes destroyed server community, LFR and LFG was intraduced after that, after all hell just got loose and I don't think we can really tell how much it destroyed community, I think if we couldn't leave realms and couldn't change names I think people would act much friendlier even on LFR because someone would point on them on forums and they would get bad reputation from own realm players who were in that group.

    Sorry about my terrible English.
    Last edited by Unionoob; 2012-12-31 at 01:07 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    you must not remember payed name changes or server transfers.
    I do, but unless they changed their ways, the new character name was blacklisted and they had to pay again. Server xfers helped these people out, but only for a short time. I remember my entire realm finding out where a character xferred to back in TBC and made alts to warn guilds and the community of the person. These people had to xfer at least 6 times before we couldn't find out.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

  13. #13
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,934
    Ooh God, not this crap again >.<

    Quote Originally Posted by Drakzlol View Post
    Remember vanilla 2005? Remember TBC 2006?
    Yes, I remember it perfectly well!
    You ran BRC with the group from trade chat. You're level 53 and playing your first character and so are they. You have been in here for 2 hours and not even half way done. You might wipe a couple times, people make mistakes.
    They'd find a scapegoat and kick him.
    People appologize in chat and no one is getting kicked and people just laugh it off. An item drops, 3 people can use it. 1 person wins and the other two does not suddenly get the massive feel of entitlement over it and kick the winner.
    No, they reserved everything and leaders passed loot to their friends.
    Everyone on the server knew eachother, everyone had a rep for something they have done in the past and everyone knows how good of a person/player that guy standing afk in ironforge is.
    Bullshit.
    You knew 5 people because they were either awesome or the biggest trolls and the other 5000 on the server were complete strangers.
    Disagree? Than I want you to name at least 250 people from your server and describe them!
    Nobody gave a fuck if you did low damage, nobody cared if you sat in AV all day or raided naxx 7 days a week.
    Nobody gave a fuck if you got carried through Karazhan to free epix by some guild that needed a last dps.
    Yes, they did.. Even more than nowadays.
    Low damage? Kicked, didn't even give you enough time to explain you were CC'ing and kiting 90% of the time.
    AFK in Battlegrounds? Tons of reports and insults.
    Not full T6? You're not invited to Karazhan by the raidleader in his full-greenies.


    Your rant is inaccurate, false and annoying.

  14. #14
    There are more assholes because there are more people playing, that's just how things work
    More people are raiding than ever before, more assholes are raiding than ever before

  15. #15
    Field Marshal Itchen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cardboard box #P-302
    Posts
    68
    I'de like to think that it's because of the internet in general. Imo way more people play MMOs. Yes you have your good people out there but asshats and trolls are everywhere. And the fact that your actions don't really hurt you in any way in lets say LFR, LFG, Bgs etc, So because of no penalty they can do as they please. I will admit its a game you should play it to "Have fun" but at the same turn of the coin working for a common goal in a group of players then deciding to be that one jerk who chooses to screw the whole thing up for self satisfaction for what ever reason... Well its just common now these days.

    In the end make what friends you can and with any luck that what makes your game.
    In my case anyways I can't stand any MMO with out good friends to BS with.
    Last edited by Itchen; 2012-12-31 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Brain fart . sorry

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Ooh God, not this crap again >.<


    Yes, I remember it perfectly well!

    They'd find a scapegoat and kick him.

    No, they reserved everything and leaders passed loot to their friends.

    Bullshit.
    You knew 5 people because they were either awesome or the biggest trolls and the other 5000 on the server were complete strangers.
    Disagree? Than I want you to name at least 250 people from your server and describe them!

    Yes, they did.. Even more than nowadays.
    Low damage? Kicked, didn't even give you enough time to explain you were CC'ing and kiting 90% of the time.
    AFK in Battlegrounds? Tons of reports and insults.
    Not full T6? You're not invited to Karazhan by the raidleader in his full-greenies.


    Your rant is inaccurate, false and annoying.
    You played on a very shitty server obviously. The server I played on was exactly as he described. We didn't know everything about the player's, but we knew their attitude and how well they played their class.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

  17. #17
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanamman View Post
    You played on a very shitty server obviously. The server I played on was exactly as he described. We didn't know everything about the player's, but we knew their attitude and how well they played their class.
    Naah, I played on a crowded server. We had like 10 guilds doing 25-man raids during TBC.
    It's impossible to know 300 raiders and how good they are, and I'm not even talking about all the random-lol guilds.

    PS. You could have really used this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-Better-When/

  18. #18
    Elemental Lord Haven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia
    Posts
    8,260
    Agreed. I raise a glass to people with the right attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Metzenphrenia. As defined in the DSM: "To be so badly written, that it drives the character into insanity." It's symptoms are similar to schizophrenia but even crazier.
    "There are no answers, only choices" - Solaris.

  19. #19
    Do you know just how many active threads exist right now with this subject being the current topic? I'd bet money it's at least six.
    Praise the Quest Writers for they give life to otherwise boring expansions.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Naah, I played on a crowded server. We had like 10 guilds doing 25-man raids during TBC.
    It's impossible to know 300 raiders and how good they are, and I'm not even talking about all the random-lol guilds.

    PS. You could have really used this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-Better-When/
    I am curious what server than. I will agree that you didn't know every player, but you knew a good amount of the ones who were looking for groups at the same time you were. I experienced many asshats/bad players, but never blacklisted a player for being bad unless he refused to learn and was rude about it. One player from my server got blacklisted on at least 7 servers before he finally got the picture and just quit being rude.

    I play on Cho'gall US. This server had a good 9-13 25 man guilds either on cutting edge content or a tier or half a tier behind. Two or three were top 50 world throughout TBC and these guilds would invite random players to alt runs or even to Kara badge runs no matter the gear. Sadly these guilds transferred during Wrath and were recently replaced by Exodus.
    Last edited by Vanamman; 2012-12-31 at 01:21 AM.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •