Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I've been dealing with a lot of people recently, asking for builds but not feeling comfortable with overclocking, its quite reasonable, and when they're already looking at a build in the 2500k/3570k range then you might as well get the unlocked version to make sure its future proofed when the price difference is minimal or even nothing.

With regards to the OP's question, for general gaming you won't notice a huge boost, but for live streaming you'll see a huge difference, all be it you'll probably still be stuck streaming 25-30 fps due to the lack of cores versus an i7

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    I've been dealing with a lot of people recently, asking for builds but not feeling comfortable with overclocking, its quite reasonable, and when they're already looking at a build in the 2500k/3570k range then you might as well get the unlocked version to make sure its future proofed when the price difference is minimal or even nothing.
    Especially when slight overclocking doesn't even require voltage increase (almost free performance boost), also Im fairly sure the difference between K-version and non-K version of a chip is that the non-K version chip is slightly worse in terms of stability etc. and that is why it has been locked from overclocking.
    Doesn't intel just test the chips at the factory and if the chip passes it they will leave it unlocked (K-version) and if it doesn't, then they lock it, because it probably couldn't take the overclock or stay stable anyway. So basically when you buy non-K version, you buy a slightly worse chip (intel's lemons).
    Last edited by Musta Kyy; 2012-12-31 at 06:28 PM.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Alright, after reading all this I'll just OC. Have a pretty good idea of how to do it already anyways, and with my cooler it seems the 4.5ghz might be "healthy" and the voltage might not have to be too high (hopefully).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icycoldd View Post
    Alright, after reading all this I'll just OC. Have a pretty good idea of how to do it already anyways, and with my cooler it seems the 4.5ghz might be "healthy" and the voltage might not have to be too high (hopefully).
    Remember not to increase it directly to 4.5 ghz, go slow upwards. Atleast what i've head

This guide should be what your looking for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wF2S0GAGas
    Motherboard interface might be different depending on what one your using currently, shouldnt be that much difference though.
    Last edited by Toffie; 2012-12-31 at 08:53 PM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    Doesn't intel just test the chips at the factory and if the chip passes it they will leave it unlocked (K-version) and if it doesn't, then they lock it, because it probably couldn't take the overclock or stay stable anyway. So basically when you buy non-K version, you buy a slightly worse chip (intel's lemons).
    More or less. That's the same way they determined Celeron or 'budget' cpus. Same manufacturing line press, multiple models produced based off certain statistics.

Just curious about something, if I ever upgrade to 1440p gaming (2560x1400) will an OC to the cpu help? Or at 1440p is that entirely up to the GPU itselF?

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just curious about something, if I ever upgrade to 1440p gaming (2560x1400) will an OC to the cpu help? Or at 1440p is that entirely up to the GPU itselF?
    Screen Res effects both the CPU and the GPU.

It's also up to your mobo, ram, and cpu quality as to whether you can even reach 4.5 with decent voltage. Some are able to hit 4.5 with barely any voltage increase, and others have to up to over 1.3v to be anywhere near stable. I settled for 4.4ghz and have seen no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bismark666 View Post
    Yeah its worth overclocking the chips for sure. People will say you dont need to but dont listen. WoW it wont make a hell of a difference but for sure in other games it helps. Just set your multiplier to 100 x 46 @ 1.3-1.34v and it will run with easy. Just get a decent aftermarket watercooler.
    Actually its in game like WoW(MMO) that it makes a huge difference.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    4.5-3.4 = 1.1

1.1/3.4 = 32.35% increase in frequency.

Yes you'll notice a rather large difference in anything CPU-bound. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Screen Res effects both the CPU and the GPU.
    Interesting, cause I was told that at 2560x1400 gaming, a CPU overclock meant zilch and it was all about dat gpu.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting, cause I was told that at 2560x1400 gaming, a CPU overclock meant zilch and it was all about dat gpu.
    Both matter, especially in games that use both, i.e. WoW, Skyrim, and just about every game, though to power the monitor, you do need a GPU that supports it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Got it. Quick question, when I do OC to 4.5, does it always run at that speed or does it chill when nothing intense is going on just like it works now at 3.4 ghz?

10+ Year Old Account
    Got it. Quick question, when I do OC to 4.5, does it always run at that speed or does it chill when nothing intense is going on just like it works now at 3.4 ghz?
    are you the iccycold that is always on towelliee's stream?
    and are you looking for 720p 60 fps or 1080p, because it would be really hard to reach 1080p 60fps with any i5 unless you have settings down and godly internet without having a capture card

10+ Year Old Account
    It will increase depending on what you do, it have an built in energy saver. If you game it'll go 4.5 ghz, 3.4 when browsing.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Structures View Post
    are you the iccycold that is always on towelliee's stream?
    and are you looking for 720p 60 fps or 1080p, because it would be really hard to reach 1080p 60fps with any i5 unless you have settings down and godly internet without having a capture card
    Lol no, I get that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    It will increase depending on what you do, it have an built in energy saver. If you game it'll go 4.5 ghz, 3.4 when browsing.
    Got it.