15+ Year Old Account

[TV] Downton Abbey

I'm surprised there isn't a thread already for this show. Time to fix that!

I'm about midway through series 3 and it's actually quite excellent. I've never been a fan of period drama before but this show does it in such a unique way that it's hard to ignore. I really enjoy the costume and the setting.

I strongly recommend this show to anyone who is a fan of drama's. It takes a bit of getting in to, but I found myself quite hooked after the first episode.

The only things that strike me as strange are how the characters continually choose to do things that make them unhappy. I suppose it's because people of the time were too modest to actively seek out happiness in an open way maybe. Watch the show, you'll understand.

I am a little disappointed that this season they killed off Sybil. Not only was she very cute, but she also opened up a lot of possibilities for introducing ideas and experiences not normally seen on the show. Shame really.

Tell me what you think of the show if you watch it or decide to start watching

I stumbled upon it the other day, some GoT fans were raving about it. Gonna try it; you a Sopranos fan, means you got good taste ;p

It's a bit cheesy and predictable, but I haven't missed an episode

Wait till you see who died in this year's christmas special

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It's a bit cheesy and predictable, but I haven't missed an episode

Wait till you see who died in this year's christmas special
    Yeah, that was um... kinda lame. they built the whole series around those two and now one is gone. I really think that was a misstep..

I just watched the Christmas special and I have to say I'm quite disappointed.

Seems like a really bizarre thing to do.

But at least they have the stones to kill main characters, let's just hope they back it up with a good story.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    I just watched the Christmas special and I have to say I'm quite disappointed.

Seems like a really bizarre thing to do.
    Agree totally. It's like they forgot what the point of the show was. It's supposed to be about the family entering a more modern era, but.. well the two people that did that best are now gone.

Mhm and he was pretty much the vision of that transition, especially economically with managing the estate how he wanted to.

Maybe that's why Robert said he had realized the errors in his judgement and he now actually agreed with Mathew. Maybe there will be more emphasis on Robert leading the charge now instead of Mathew.

It just seems strange that they would go to the extent of what happened to his back and then recovering when they could have killed him off there if that's really what they wanted to do.
    I really don't know why they would though because in many ways him and Branson are the 'links' I suppose between the viewer and the Crawley's. It was interesting to see people from outside of that way of life adapt and evolve inside of it and they were probably the two most characters that the audience could relate to or at least grow fond of. Things back then were very much kept within the family and there was a huge sense of position and ranking.

I just hope they have the story to back this up
    Last edited by Palmatum; 2013-01-04 at 05:20 AM.

Deleted
    It was the actors choice to quit, from as far back as February they've known about it, if memory serves from the interview I read. It sounds to me like they had to kill him off, anything else would have probably seemed a lot more out of place.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2013-01-04 at 01:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    It was the actors choice to quit, from as far back as February they've known about it, if memory serves from the interview I read. It sounds to me like they had to kill him off, anything else would have probably seemed a lot more out of place.
    I had heard about that. Must have found a better gig. Shame though, Matthew was one of the most likeable characters on the show.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, just finished watching the season's final episode.

[spoiler below]

Still can't believe they killed off Mathew - just stunned. Hadn't read anything in the "real" world about him wanting to leave, so it was complete surprise to me. Aside from the real world desires, I think there wasn't a worse person to kill off. He was the rock of Downton Abbey, in every sense of the word, and now he's gone.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2013-02-20 at 01:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hate resurrecting threads but i just watched this show and it's honestly one of the best TV shows i've watched in a really long time... I normally would never get into one of these shows but its just so addicting. I watched all three seasons in a week and now i don't know how to wait for the fourth season!! Such a cliff hanger!!!
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

7+ Year Old Account
    At the risk of having to hand in a "man card" - Good god this show is incredible. The acting, across the board, is above average. The stories are interesting. There is certainly a bit of "holy fuck how many time are going to listen to that idiot" moments, but, in general, I'm a bit blown away by the over all quality of this show.

* Yeah, yeah, I know this is a massive necro, but I felt replying to this thread was more appropriate than starting a new one.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2017-05-25 at 04:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    At the risk of having to hand in a "man card" - Good god this show is incredible. The acting, across the board, is above average. The stories are interesting. There is certainly a bit of "holy fuck how many time are going to listen to that idiot" moments, but, in general, I'm a bit blown away by the over all quality of this show.

* Yeah, yeah, I know this is a massive necro, but I felt replying to this thread was more appropriate than starting a new one.
    I liked it too for similar reasons, and I had a huge crush on Dan Stevens. But honestly its a glorified soap opera. The plot twists are straight out of some telenovela.

Julian Fellows also did a remake of Dr. Thorne out on Amazon. Highly recommend it if you like Abbey.