Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    You'd be an idiot to compare consoles to PCs - you can't expect a next-gen console to have the absolute latest in graphics card, or w/e, to computers of today, simply because the timeline of making the console would already set "newest hardware" back a fair bit before it's finally released, making those components kinda outdated by then...

The PC industy is ever ongoing in terms of upgrades and new hardware... consoles make do with what'll last for years.

There'll come a time when graphics have already reached their peak as lilfe-like as they'll ever get, and fps issues a thing of the past... maybe the only restriction being the capability of a processor calculating all the physics down to the most minuscule of details like grains of sand stacking up to create drifts, for example.
    Grapchics card maybe not, but if you look at the release date of the 360's 3-core then the first dual-core cpu's...

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the point of the hardware if it's going to be boring?
    In terms of flexibility, I'd prefer Wii U over the others. There's a lot more possibilities, and just the fact that they're more able to have 3rd party developers accessibility just nulls the fact that you need to own another console aside from exclusives.
    My point was if they're trying to increase the power and it only goes up to PS3 power may as well not bother and just do small upgrade and do more *fun* factor. Etc etc.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    My point was if they're trying to increase the power and it only goes up to PS3 power may as well not bother and just do small upgrade and do more *fun* factor. Etc etc.
    Like I said in my post the wii-u power is around 20% more then the ps3 this was stated my nintendo and a few other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    We've reached a cliff. Our programming knowledge is far behind the hardware. This is in part because of how video processor manufacturers do business. For them, always having to upgrade your hardware is a good business venture. There's a couple companies and individuals that have developed rendering software that DRAMATICALLY reduces the amount of hardware required to do the same effects. This is why there isn't a real need for the next generation console. They're still learning how to get more out of the old hardware we're using now.
    Also, I should mention, that consoles can run such high detail levels because they tailor the software specifically to the hardware. So, new hardware=new learning curve, and probably an unimpressive set of games(visually) at launch. Like the wii U is seeing. Once developers get more knowledge and time to work with the hardware, the quality will increase.
    pretty much what im thinking about the matter. people yell so much at game developers for profit-hunting, that they forget about all the hardware-developers who are always rubbing their hands together when the new graphic-monster-game is being launched, wich will make many people buy new hardware for their pc :>

my pc is over 2,5years old now and i still dont have any problems with running todays games, and the speccs arent even that good.. that said, im also not really playing any of those high-end games, like battlefield or call of duty :>

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 12:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dota2please View Post
    Like I said in my post the wii-u power is around 20% more then the ps3 this was stated my nintendo and a few other people.
    wich is plenty imo, just look whats already possible with the power the ps3 has. i cant even imagine the peak of what is possible with this much power.

Whats it matter if it has a power level of 9001 if it developers can't get above 4000? Honestly I plan on buying the next xbox (and later playstation) because I had fun with the systems and even today still have fun with the consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post

wich is plenty imo, just look whats already possible with the power the ps3 has. i cant even imagine the peak of what is possible with this much power.
    That's my point.

Its going to get to a point where you don't get a new console cause the games will look better its going to be because it runs games better with the higher CPU/RAM it will have.

Look at games now like the crisis 3 video i linked it looks amazing and is pushing current gen systems to there max.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Well, the latter 2 are software.
    Not entirely. Physics engines especially need better hardware to be more realistic, I believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    Not entirely. Physics engines especially need better hardware to be more realistic, I believe.
    Well, it depends. I kind of lumped the physics with the software portion as the objects being tracked as well... objects. Though I guess you can put it hardware wise.
    Realistic isn't so much of a hardware as a software, unless you want like billions of flying debris.

Realistic isn't so much of a hardware as a software, unless you want like billions of flying debris.
    Realistic, better, improved, whatever.

Well all the talk of physics. It is nearly impossible to have a true particle to particle, and force to force software. Why? For two reasons: One, we do not completely understand the universe. And Two, there is no way in hell to simulate that. Although we do come pretty close.

Hardware and graphics are irrelevant. It's all about the game play. If the game isn't fun it's going to sink. Obviously companies realize that FPS is a popular gameplay style and they capitalize on that. Call of Duty is a great example. You shouldn't fix something that isn't broken. So they take the old game, polish it more and resell it. Same thing with WoW.

People do not play video games for realism. They play it for the fantasy and fun.

Deleted
    Games look nice on the Wii U, I doubt the PS4 or 720 will be any worse off seing as they will be more powerful. Thing is, they will either have to go with middling hardware if they want a realistic price point without massive loss or massive loss with modern hardware. The graphics cards will most likely be second last generation Radeon or something, with Wii U sitting at third last. The difference between them aren't really noticeable unless you pick something very costly; I could play BF3 on high with a GTX 460 with 30 fps in most maps and with my 560 Ti I can get at least 30 fps in all maps, even the very big ones. What would the difference versus a 660 be? 40 fps? It's nearly negligible in the long run and imo not much cause for worry. Can all three consoles run games in 1080p with at least 30 fps then we will be fine. There's kind of a wall now we're hitting anyway, more pixels won't make your games look much better on TV as you sit so far away, the only time you will notice a resolution improvement is on PC when the monitor is at best at arm's length.

Edit: Also, Skyward Sword on the Wii looks quite nice despite the shortcomings of the Wii, and games on the 360 and PS3 look good in 720p. Compare a PS3 game released in 2006 to say Final Fantasy XIII-3, or why not Last of Us: The improvement is staggering considering that the hardware has always been the same. The same degree improvement over time can and should be expected for the next-gen consoles.
    Last edited by mmoc64e39b9c60; 2012-12-31 at 02:00 AM.

Deleted
    If I get full HD resolution without hiccups, that's good enough for me. Despite playing pcars on a decent PC, I can still enjoy the graphics of Forza 4 on xbox 360. The next iteration will no doubt look alot better. Coming from a guy whose playtime is split 90-95% PC / 5-10% console.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dota2please View Post
    That's my point.

Its going to get to a point where you don't get a new console cause the games will look better its going to be because it runs games better with the higher CPU/RAM it will have.

Look at games now like the crisis 3 video i linked it looks amazing and is pushing current gen systems to there max.
    Whatever is done with consoles will look 2-3 times better on a PC. Quite frankly consoles are garbage right now, the coding tricks and visuals obscuring done to just get them running at 720 is silly. They ought to have been updated long ago.

10+ Year Old Account

How powerful are the ps4 and xbox 720?

Launch of the PS4 and Xbox 720

2012 saw the launch of Nintendo's Wii U - the first of the eighth generation games consoles.* By late 2013, it is joined by the PS4 and Xbox 720. These new machines offer substantial improvements in graphical power. The PS4, codenamed "Orbis", is built around an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU, handling screen resolutions of up to 4000 x 2000 pixels, as well as 3D gaming in full 1080p.* The Xbox 720, codenamed "Durango", is powered by a state-of-the-art IBM Power PC CPU, featuring 16 cores, alongside a Radeon HD 7000-series graphics card.*

Based on that, how much more powerful are they then the current gen consoles?

Source:http://www.futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2013.htm

Sorry, WHAT? This is great I had no clue about this. Just as I begin college too . Nothing constructive to say besides that they probably are much much faster. Look at the difference in the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. 2 years and there is an insane difference. Computing speed is doubling every 18 months (Moore's Law), so I would count the months from the PS3 and Xbox 360 and do some short math. However, I doubt they use the newest stuff on the market, as I doubt the current consoles were made with the newest stuff on the market back then.

Depending how long the consoles have been in developement, a good chance is that they are already year or half a year behind PC hardware developement cycle
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Consoles may never rival computers in graphics power, and thats okay. i will still play them as generally pc games get shitty ports and or not ports of the games i love.
    cant wait

So what is this going to mean for the price?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Consoles may never rival computers in graphics power, and thats okay. i will still play them as generally pc games get shitty ports and or not ports of the games i love.
    cant wait
    Can't really think of any AAA that was ported so bad it broke the PC version.

OT: They'll be weak as ever, 2-3 years behind PC. But coders will make it look "amazing". I'd say that you'll get Far Cry 3 style graphics, set to High, within a year of launch. By the end of the cycle they might be close to ultra range. Assuming the coding is as "friendly" it was on this generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Can't really think of any AAA that was ported so bad it broke the PC version.

OT: They'll be weak as ever, 2-3 years behind PC. But coders will make it look "amazing". I'd say that you'll get Far Cry 3 style graphics, set to High, within a year of launch. By the end of the cycle they might be close to ultra range. Assuming the coding is as "friendly" it was on this generation.
    You would think a 16 core processor would get more then ultra on farcry 3. Id say farcry 3 on ultra is launch games.