Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Could someone tell me where the anime reached? I'm reading the manga up till the latest chapter :P
    New season. Fun times.

" Who would of thought a small kid from Aberdeen, Washington, who was always labelled a B+ player, who would of thought that guy could of main evented Wrestlemania? Nobody. Nobody except ...you guys."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
    Could someone tell me where the anime reached? I'm reading the manga up till the latest chapter :P
    The first anime series finished just after the twin dragon fight at the grand magic games. A second series started recently that concluded the grand magic games and is at the dragon invasion part I believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw, I'm very much annoyed with the subs.. I mean, it's GERARD for fucks sake and not JELLAL!! I cringe every time I read it xd Also, Carla? That sounds nowhere near a Carla if you ask me.

I switched subs around 150 to horriblesubs and I seriously can't get adjusted to those translations. Not even after having finished episode 20 of 2014 yesterday. I realize they're coming directly from the source and all, but it's still retarded nonetheless.

Rather have stayed with kyuubisubs cause I like their translations better and they're more accurate too (horriblesubs misinterprets a lot) but unfortunately they only go to ep 170ish so had to make the switch regardless. =/ It's not that I need subs, but I like to have some form of safety around (unknown words, story gets too complicated to follow etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Btw, I'm very much annoyed with the subs.. I mean, it's GERARD for fucks sake and not JELLAL!! I cringe every time I read it xd Also, Carla? That sounds nowhere near a Carla if you ask me.

I switched subs around 150 to horriblesubs and I seriously can't get adjusted to those translations. Not even after having finished episode 20 of 2014 yesterday. I realize they're coming directly from the source and all, but it's still retarded nonetheless.

Rather have stayed with kyuubisubs cause I like their translations better and they're more accurate too (horriblesubs misinterprets a lot) but unfortunately they only go to ep 170ish so had to make the switch regardless. =/ It's not that I need subs, but I like to have some form of safety around (unknown words, story gets too complicated to follow etc).
    You are incorrect, the fansubs got it wrong. His name is Jellal. The Japanese don't have a pure L sound and the letter R takes the place of both L and R. Its the same argument that happens time and time again with fansubs in anime. Arucard vs Alucard Horo vs Holo. The correct name is with the L's(in regards to those 2 examples)

Just google R's and L's in Japanese there is a lot of information around it.
    Last edited by Kaitenx; 2014-08-18 at 03:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitenx View Post
    The correct name is with the L's.
    Not always. I remember in the FT manga thread you corrected someone who used Elza instead of Erza.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Not always. I remember in the FT manga thread you corrected someone who used Elza instead of Erza.
    Oh yes, sorry I meant in regards to the sentence before that one lol. Arucard vs Alurcard, Horo vs Holo etc. I could have made that more clear, my bad.

Each one you have to know from the Author if they intended it to be R or L. More often than not its the R for L that get's mistranslated. But it can happen both ways.

edited it slightly lol.
    Last edited by Kaitenx; 2014-08-18 at 03:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are incorrect, the fansubs got it wrong. His name is Jellal. The Japanese don't have a pure L sound and the letter R takes the place of both L and R. Its the same argument that happens time and time again with fansubs in anime. Arucard vs Alucard Horo vs Holo. The correct name is with the L's(in regards to those 2 examples)

Just google R's and L's in Japanese there is a lot of information around it.
    This is not true. I get that his name is Jellal because that's the name the author translated ジェラール to in English, but your explanation as to why is wrong (although somewhat in the right direction). To keep it simple, the author decided on that name. The name itself, however, is open to interpretation (as is with all Japanese names).

ジェラール is read as jeraaru (or jelaalu). Which can be either the French Gerard or Jellal as the author decided on and possibly any other style you want to come up with that makes sense. It's a matter of preference really. It's not because they don't have an L, but it's because the L and R are the same. Basically, they have neither. The sound the Japanese make is actually between the L and R that we know which is why we mistake it for either an L or an R depending on the speaker. The sound is made in the front of the mouth by flicking the tip of the tongue against the alveolar ridge. Mind you, this is totally different from how the English R's are produced. It's more akin to Spanish or Turkish for example (though it's not meant for rolling).

Anyways, I appreciate that you are trying to help out and explain the best you can but at least make sure it's correct. It's simply a matter of preference as there is no absolute translation for Japanese into English. In this case it's simply because the author settled on Jellal as the English name. This can be verified through the manga (both are published by Kodansha in Japan and in North America).

I was just raging about how I had to adjust to new names again after watching 150 episodes of kyuubisubs. I am fully aware of the Japanese language and how things work. I thought I made that quite obvious in my post xd

10+ Year Old Account
    This is not true. I get that his name is Jellal because that's the name the author translated ジェラール to in English, but your explanation as to why is wrong (although somewhat in the right direction). To keep it simple, the author decided on that name. The name itself, however, is open to interpretation (as is with all Japanese names).

ジェラール is read as jeraaru (or jelaalu). Which can be either the French Gerard or Jellal as the author decided on and possibly any other style you want to come up with that makes sense. It's a matter of preference really. It's not because they don't have an L, but it's because the L and R are the same. Basically, they have neither. The sound the Japanese make is actually between the L and R that we know which is why we mistake it for either an L or an R depending on the speaker. The sound is made in the front of the mouth by flicking the tip of the tongue against the alveolar ridge. Mind you, this is totally different from how the English R's are produced. It's more akin to Spanish or Turkish for example (though it's not meant for rolling).

Anyways, I appreciate that you are trying to help out and explain the best you can but at least make sure it's correct. It's simply a matter of preference as there is no absolute translation for Japanese into English. In this case it's simply because the author settled on Jellal as the English name. This can be verified through the manga (both are published by Kodansha in Japan and in North America).

I was just raging about how I had to adjust to new names again after watching 150 episodes of kyuubisubs. I am fully aware of the Japanese language and how things work. I thought I made that quite obvious in my post xd
    Well you explained that a lot better than I could have. Yes It's always best to go the way the mangaka intends it to be, I don't know why so many fan subs don't get it right (perhaps at the time there wasn't an offical translation?) It's so funny how many people adamantly defend an incorrect version of a name, I have even had arguments with Holo vs Horo even when she signs her name in the anime as Holo. Obviously your reasons are different :P

Anyway, do you speak Japanese or just like the langauge? I am currently learning it every week as getting business English will be useful for when we move back to Japan to work again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you explained that a lot better than I could have. Yes It's always best to go the way the mangaka intends it to be, I don't know why so many fan subs don't get it right (perhaps at the time there wasn't an offical translation?) It's so funny how many people adamantly defend an incorrect version of a name, I have even had arguments with Holo vs Horo even when she signs her name in the anime as Holo. Obviously your reasons are different :P

Anyway, do you speak Japanese or just like the langauge? I am currently learning it every week as getting business English will be useful for when we move back to Japan to work again.
    When there isn't an official translation all you can do is guess really. That's what subgroups do and then they argue which one is better. Usually official translations take a while or never become available because they never get released outside of Japan and therefor English names aren't needed.

As for the language it's somewhat in between. xd I've liked the language for around 15 years now, did a lot of self study, been a while in Japan (which is awesome!) and I'm currently studying Trade Management Asia where I also study Japanese. As part of that study I will also stay a year in Japan to study at a university and do an internship after that. In a way, Japan and the language are an important part of my life and I will probably emigrate when my study has come to a conclusion. I'm able to speak, write, read and of course follow every day life conversations. This includes being able to follow most anime/drama/shows without subtitles. Though I'm nowhere near native level yet. But I'll get there eventually ;D

What about you?

10+ Year Old Account
    When there isn't an official translation all you can do is guess really. That's what subgroups do and then they argue which one is better. Usually official translations take a while or never become available because they never get released outside of Japan and therefor English names aren't needed.

As for the language it's somewhat in between. xd I've liked the language for around 15 years now, did a lot of self study, been a while in Japan (which is awesome!) and I'm currently studying Trade Management Asia where I also study Japanese. As part of that study I will also stay a year in Japan to study at a university and do an internship after that. In a way, Japan and the language are an important part of my life and I will probably emigrate when my study has come to a conclusion. I'm able to speak, write, read and of course follow every day life conversations. This includes being able to follow most anime/drama/shows without subtitles. Though I'm nowhere near native level yet. But I'll get there eventually ;D

What about you?
    Wow your Japanese is a lot further a long that myself lol. Last year my partner and I did a working holiday in Japan and taught English which was a lot of fun. We are learning more Japanese now and hopefully that will help when we go for proper work visa's to move back over there. Reading/writing is definitely the toughest for us, speaking is so much easier lol! It's funny how most Japanese find it the opposite, most students we taught, and even our current Sensei has said its easier to learn to read/write English than to speak. (makes a lot of sense especially when you have romaji)

Anyway, where is FT up to in the anime now? I got bored and stopped watching for a few weeks (I have found the manga chapters for this arc to be better)

Does anyone actually feel that this anime has a 'good' story..?

I find it really hard to keep watching this anime (just finished 66) without cringing all the time.. Seriously, this anime is so badly written and every bad guy will go down by nakama power and even become a nakama too. Jeesh, so lame. Also the absence of any character development is terrible. But meh, will continue to watch though as the fan service is worthwhile xd But other than that, I don't see what people even like in this anime. Enlighten me?
    I made almost the same exact post on reddit a few minutes ago. I just finished 65 and I'm just so bored. I love the idea, but the execution is terrible. It reminds me of DBZ but with bigger boobs. I've never dropped an anime, but I'm debating just walking away from this one.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I made almost the same exact post on reddit a few minutes ago. I just finished 65 and I'm just so bored. I love the idea, but the execution is terrible. It reminds me of DBZ but with bigger boobs. I've never dropped an anime, but I'm debating just walking away from this one.
    Personally, I think the idea of watching this kind of anime (goes on and on and on based on demand for more, as opposed to intending on making a single consolidated story) and expecting a good plot structure is silly. I know it's silly. There are a few arcs (the entire second half of the grand magic games because of its utter stupidity as a good example) that I skip entirely. The interest in it has always been the perpetual journey. In the little events composing it instead of the big picture. There are some arcs I've seen 4-5 times, some I haven't finished even once, and that's fine because of how its structured.

What doesn't help the anime over the manga is that the anime has filler episodes that add nothing new and can increase the tedium a lot more. Though the OVA's can be a fun get away from the fillers but they tend to focus more on fanservice. And speaking of the grand magic games the censoring just annoyed me a little. Hardest fight, epic struggle to overcome all odds and this is the difference you get for Erza's 100 monster challenge -

Last edited by Miyani; 2015-01-20 at 10:18 PM.