Thread: Interrupts

Interrupts

I was messing around on my rogue today and was wondering, why do rogue's Kick have an energy cost of 10 which effects their DPS while the cost to all the other classes are either non-existent or so small that it doesn't effect them? For instance you take Death Knight's Mind Freeze which has no cost, as well as Warrior's Pummel, and a Shaman's Wind Shear or Ret Paladin's Rebuke is so low that it doesn't effect them because their mana regeneration is so high that it doesn't slow down their rotation. The only other class that has a resource cost that could effect them in combat is a Monk's Spear Hand Strike. I personally think that all DPS specs should either have a cost on their interrupt that actually could effect their rotation or all costs should be removed from the game to balance out the classes better.

i fart 10 energy

Infracted
    Last edited by Kael; 2012-12-31 at 06:11 PM.

you get used too energy pooling with the time , even if i would prefer to have it for free too

Costs energy. no damage buff talent or glyph. We shouldnt have to lose dps to interrupt.

Deleted
    Love the warrior glyph that rewards the successful interruption.

Would be nice to have 0 energy cost, I don't feel like homogenization to be like warriors is needed.

Deleted
    Does Pummel / Rebuke etc. cost a GCD? Kick doesn't right? So I guess it equals out?

Nah off GCD for Pummel

Deleted
    Yea just thinking about it, I think they're all off GCD. Hmmm interesting why we have a DPS loss when others don't I suppose.

I swore at kick's energy cost during whole t11, remember hc halfus? Shadow nova! It's my turn to interrupt! Sh*t i i have to wait for ener...BOOOM wipe...

Oh and glyph of kick is just another joke glyph, if some1 interrupts 10 msecs before u, u're fuc*ed up

Deleted
    Try feraldruid with half of the energyregen and it cost 15energy :}

Deleted
    For something like that, why didn't you just pool energy before? I don't know the encounter but if you knew roughly when you had to interuppt then just pool ? Like Wind lord HC

Oh, wow - I didn't see until I looked now that Mindfreeze doesn't have a runic power cost anymore. I'm pretty sure it used to have one, but that there was a talent or glyph that would remove the cost. Now it looks like it's free as baseline.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is an issue we've talked about a few times. Rogues/ferals/monks all have an energy cost attached presumably because of the "bonuses" to our interrupts (lockout, movement, lockout). The problem is only the feral one is even capable of having impact on any boss fight this tier or last tier that I can think of.

Yes, it's an outdated and painful system, which is unnecessarily punishing for PvE. By comparison, warriors with Rude Interruption gain DPS rather than losing it for going the extra mile (*this still exists, right?).

Deleted
    I quit in Wrath and came back in Late Cata. I found every single class has the same spell with a different name. I.E Rip / Rupture. Ferocious Bite / Eviscerate. Sprint / Dash. etc etc.

What's wrong with a bit of differentiation? So warriors are better interrupters than us, they can do the interrupting in PvE then can't they Where one class fails, it should succeed elsewhere is my view and THERE SHOULD be classes that are much better than others in certain areas, but this is all just my opinion. Ya'll can do w/e the f*** you wanna dooooo! (HodgeTwins!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutix View Post
    I quit in Wrath and came back in Late Cata. I found every single class has the same spell with a different name. I.E Rip / Rupture. Ferocious Bite / Eviscerate. Sprint / Dash. etc etc.

What's wrong with a bit of differentiation? So warriors are better interrupters than us, they can do the interrupting in PvE then can't they Where one class fails, it should succeed elsewhere is my view and THERE SHOULD be classes that are much better than others in certain areas, but this is all just my opinion. Ya'll can do w/e the f*** you wanna dooooo! (HodgeTwins!)
    Every class has the same spell with a different name? Not quite...there may be some spells that are the same among every class in what they do - build combo points, set up procs (mages, locks, dks...), or just their main damage dealer. I have every class between 85 and 90. I played them all at least in LFR during DS. I never felt like I was playing the same class, even when I went from my rogue to a feral druid. There are a lot of things that separate them.

Also, it usually does fall to the person who gets the biggest benefit out of interrupting to do so. Arcane mages (don't know if this still holds true) in DS got a damage buff when they interrupted, so I always did it on my mage. However on my monk or my rogue, I hate interrupting and won't do it unless it's a spell that can wipe the group. If your raid leader if making you interrupt as a feral/monk/rogue while you have a warrior or something else that can do it for free, bring it up to them and ask if they can do it. Increased raid dps is always a good bribe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.

simple fix. minor glyph that removes the energy cost of kick when used on a non player. could remove the lockout as well if needed.

And to mutix, in most areas i would agree with you (expecially tanking, i miss BC's view on tanking) but with interupts being as commonly needed as they are (every 5ish seconds on spirit kings, even more often on protectors) you cant just "half the warrior do it", expecially in a 10 man where you arent likely to have more than one (if you even have one ). now the area of gaining something from an interupt? 0 issue with that, unless everyone gains something shy of 2 specs that dont make up for it in another area.

A small damage bonus for successfully interrupting would be nice. I think Mages used to have an Arcane talent that did this; 6% increased damage for 10s or something. Returning 10-20 energy on a successful interrupt would also be neat.

I think having a cost for interrupting is good. It's something you have to plan for. Without a cost, you just hit it and they stop casting; no real gameplay there. Being rewarded for interrupting properly is cool too, even if it's small enough just to cover the cost of the interrupt.

Why not player? Why not just period?

In PvP, kick has no energy cost (Hell, MY kick has no energy cost in pve, because gloves don't drop lololol).

The monk interrupt should be free. If glyph of kick doesn't get fixed, it should also be 4 seconds of lockout, not 5.

The feral one's energy cost can probably also go away. Even though it has a small jump attached to it.

Rogue kick should definitely not have an energy cost. Glyph of Kick should simply reduce the cooldown on kick by 2 seconds.

Mind Freeze can be glyphed to cost 20 RP again. If it has that, it has a 13 second cooldown.

Pummel can be glyphed to boost damage by 6% for 20 seconds after using that.

Rebuke can be glyphed in another direction- it can go from 4 second lockout with 15 second cooldown, to 6 second lockout with 20 second cooldown. This isn't so great, but paladins at least have an effectively resource free interrupt.

Wind shear is normally 3 seconds of lockout on a 12 second timer. With the glyph it becomes 4 seconds of lockout on a 15 second timer. It is probably more valuable unglyphed, especially in pve, where the glyphed version is exactly what everyone but rogues and monks bring baseline.

Skull Bash can be glyphed to lockout for a mighty 8 seconds, but with a 25 second cooldown. This creates a window much more like counterspell, but is a very risky glyph and reduces mobility.

In order of decreasing range:
    Counterspell=Silencing Shot (40)
    Wind Shear (25)
    Skull Bash (13)
    Rebuke=Kick=Pummel=Mind Freeze=Spear Hand Strike(5)

These effects are non physical and go through hand of protection. They get stopped by "Blessing of Spell Warding" (the opposite of BoP), but this isn't a pvp relevant thing. I don't know if Mass Spell Reflection messes with these or not.

Counterspell (Arcane)
    Wind Shear (Nature)
    Mind Freeze (Frost)

An alternative thing I'd love is if kick was of "shadowstrike" school- both shadow and physical, and capable of going through hand of protection and magic protection effects. That would, in my mind, make it pretty damned special.

Deleted
    Want: Glyph of Kick: Same effects as already has, but additionally lowers the cost of our next attack by 100 % energy, so make it free.