Deleted

Youtube - Incorrect Copyright claims?

I'm curious about it. I have uploaded a 4 minute video of clips from the Rifftrax riff of the Phantom Menace. FOX has made a copyright claim on the video, and I think it's incorrect.

The Rifftrax guys are allowed to use clips of the movie with their riffing on THEIR youtube channel. Do they have a permission to do so that I lack or is this actually a sort of incorrect copyright claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I'm curious about it. I have uploaded a 4 minute video of clips from the Rifftrax riff of the Phantom Menace. FOX has made a copyright claim on the video, and I think it's incorrect.

The Rifftrax guys are allowed to use clips of the movie with their riffing on THEIR youtube channel. Do they have a permission to do so that I lack or is this actually a sort of incorrect copyright claim?
    They very well might have an agreement with Fox.

Unless you added/changed something you have nothing to show that you should be protected and it is just straight plagiarism. Especially if you are making money off your channel as a youtube partner.

Youtube generally will not investigate any claims. If there is an accusation of copyright infringement, they automatically remove your video - they don't care.

They often use automated audio programs to determine if you're using copyrighted material. Is the audio altered, to avoid this?

I don't know who "Rifftrax guys" are, but I seriously doubt they have an agreement with Fox unless they're big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I don't know who "Rifftrax guys" are, but I seriously doubt they have an agreement with Fox unless they're big time.
    They are the Mystery Science Theater 3000 guys. They are currently one part of a corporation that restores old movies. And yes, they very well could have an agreement with Fox, but they would also be protected (at least in the US), since they are altering the original for comedic purposes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Youtube generally will not investigate any claims. If there is an accusation of copyright infringement, they automatically remove your video - they don't care.

They often use automated audio programs to determine if you're using copyrighted material. Is the audio altered, to avoid this?

The thing is, the sound is altered with the added Rifftrax commentary track. Which is why I think this copyright claim is ridiculous.

It's like the completely re-dubbed, in swedish, Lord of the Rings parody videos that got taken down because they had a few seconds of the music score in them.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    They very well might have an agreement with Fox.

Unless you added/changed something you have nothing to show that you should be protected and it is just straight plagiarism. Especially if you are making money off your channel as a youtube partner.
    I ain't making any money though.
    I've actually written on the Rifftrax forums asking about it. Will see if I get any responce.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I ain't making any money though.
    I've actually written on the Rifftrax forums asking about it. Will see if I get any responce.
    Your best bet would be asking a copyright lawyer. But I doubt you are going to want to spend the money to fight the claim to be able to put up a couple minutes of someone elses' work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Your best bet would be asking a copyright lawyer. But I doubt you are going to want to spend the money to fight the claim to be able to put up a couple minutes of someone elses' work.
    Yeah I've removed the video. No use in fighting the corporate machine.

Rifftrax only hosts samples, samples of what is possibly considered derivative works. Which in a way falls into fair use. On the other side of the matter you're pretty much just rehosting material you didn't make at all.

Long and short of it, oh well, live with it...it's not like FOX is going to actually sue you over it.

Though it's rare for there to be a claim unless you're trying to monetize the material you uploaded, it's more common for them to just inject ads before the video than slap an infringement claim.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    A lot of the copyright infringement claims are made by automation and not by humans, as a result you'll see some bizarre claims.