Thread: Ram Voltage

Ram Voltage

I was looking at Ram today, primarily Gskill Snipers, and I noticed that they were at 1.35v. While Ripjaws are 1.5v. And Tridents were at 1.65v. What is the difference performance wise, and what is best to use in a gaming PC?

The lower voltage, the better for the most part. 1.65v is used with older CPUs, most require 1.5v or lower now.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    I was looking at Ram today, primarily Gskill Snipers, and I noticed that they were at 1.35v. While Ripjaws are 1.5v. And Tridents were at 1.65v. What is the difference performance wise, and what is best to use in a gaming PC?
    No difference beside the voltage number itself. I'd go with the 1.5v ram. I have the gskill snipers myself (1866Mhz) and they've been running great with no issue for about a year now.

Lower voltage= less heat

But either way I think you should definitely go with Gskill ram.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the end there is really no difference. RAM doesn't utilize much power to begin with so the power saving between 1.5 and 1.35 is minimal(about 1-2 watts tops). RAM also does not output much heat anymore that it won't make a significant difference for temperatures either.

chaud is right about Modern Intel systems requiring 1.5 or lower but AMD's limit is still the maximum JEDEC Spec of 1.95v. My recommendation is to just get whatever RAM has a 1.5v or lower, and is cheapest.