Deleted

having a hard time understanding how conditions work

so i've got this ranger ability spike trap I just can't get to understand,google searches didn't clear anything up,it has a description as follows :
    ''bleeding icon 3'' ''bleeding(5s): 84 damage''
    I already got that the 3 means 3 stacks of bleeding,it seems simple but I wanna be sure,this means the ability will hit for 3xtimes a bleeding of 84dmg/5s?
    Thus the real damage this ability does is 252?

I also have a question about burning.Apparently it stacks with duration.Does this mean that if you're for example spamming an ability (1s cast time) that applies a burn of 3seconds your target will first have 3 seconds of burning,then 5,then 7 and so on?

Guild Wars 2 wiki is pretty good at explaining game mechanics:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Effect_stacking
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition

Also you can type /wiki <subject name> within the in-game chat to instantly bring up an article on that subject if it exists. As was the case in Guild Wars 1.

Pretty handy feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Also you can type /wiki <subject name> within the in-game chat to instantly bring up an article on that subject if it exists. As was the case in Guild Wars 1.

Pretty handy feature.
    Woah... I had no clue that existed. That's pretty freaking awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Guild Wars 2 wiki is pretty good at explaining game mechanics:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Effect_stacking
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition

Pretty handy feature.
    I did visit those pages already,it should be helpful but it's too vague for me,I tend to understand things better with practical applications.
    It would really help me if someone could answer my specific questions.

The damage shown 3 Bleeding (5s) 84 damage means.

3 Stacks for bleeding for a total of 5 seconds of total bleeding for a total damage of 84 damage in those 5 seconds.

Your burning example is also right. The damage stays the same, the duration adds up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    The damage shown 3 Bleeding (5s) 84 damage means.

3 Stacks for bleeding for a total of 5 seconds of total bleeding for a total damage of 84 damage in those 5 seconds.
    Thus total damage of 252?Right

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 10:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Can anyone confirm this?Its really really agonizing to not have a simple question answered when it's so important to know if my ability hits hard or not xp.

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 10:25 PM ----------

Can anyone confirm this?Its really really agonizing to not have a simple question answered when it's so important to know if my ability hits hard or not xp.
    he answered your simple question...you're not grasping the answer.

3x Bleeding 5s, at lv 80 bleeding hits for 42.5dmg per second per stack, at 3 stacks it hits for 127.5 dmg per second for 5 seconds, which puts it at 638dmg TOTAL (due to rounding), this is EXACTLY what the tooltip says.

This is also the EXACT same way that Bloodhunter explained it, i don't think it can be broken down anymore...

EDIT: In your opening post it means that over those 5 seconds, at 3 stacks of bleeding you're dealing 84 damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    he answered your simple question...you're not grasping the answer.

3x Bleeding 5s, at lv 80 bleeding hits for 42.5dmg per second per stack, at 3 stacks it hits for 127.5 dmg per second for 5 seconds, which puts it at 638dmg TOTAL (due to rounding), this is EXACTLY what the tooltip says.

This is also the EXACT same way that Bloodhunter explained it, i don't think it can be broken down anymore...

EDIT: In your opening post it means that over those 5 seconds, at 3 stacks of bleeding you're dealing 84 damage.
    Awesome I finally get it.
    I would like to know what the point is of dividing the dot into 3 stacks.With the 25 stack limit is it a way to make abilities make more stacks thus reach the limit faster and prevent unwanted bleed damage?

Also there is another tooltip I have a hard time understandig.
    My ''Viper's Nest'' says "poison per pulse (3s): 31 damage''’ and ''damage(x3): 27''
    Does this mean the poison will pulse 3 times for 31 damage?(Thus 93 total damage?)
    And the damage of the trap will be 3 times 9?

By pulse the tooltip means tick per second. Same method of operation as bleeding or burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome I finally get it.
    I would like to know what the point is of dividing the dot into 3 stacks.With the 25 stack limit is it a way to make abilities make more stacks thus reach the limit faster and prevent unwanted bleed damage?

Also there is another tooltip I have a hard time understandig.
    My ''Viper's Nest'' says "poison per pulse (3s): 31 damage''’ and ''damage(x3): 27''
    Does this mean the poison will pulse 3 times for 31 damage?(Thus 93 total damage?)
    And the damage of the trap will be 3 times 9?
    Yes, it applies 3 seconds of poison per pulse meaning they take 31 dmg from that 3 second of poison.

However vipers nest also deals some other damage ontop of that pet pulse, which would be 27/3= 9dmg per pulse. So if they get hit by all three pulses they'll have 9 seconds of poison (93dmg) an 27 raw dmg from the trap.

Most skills that apply bleeding will apply multiple stacks of it because bleeding stacks in magnitude not duration, so 1 stack of bleeding is pretty worthless unless its lasting for 20s and even then it's not -that- good, however 5 stacks of bleeding from a skill is pretty great! And if you manage to get 25 stacks that a LOT of dmg per second
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Yes, it applies 3 seconds of poison per pulse meaning they take 31 dmg from that 3 second of poison.

However vipers nest also deals some other damage ontop of that pet pulse, which would be 27/3= 9dmg per pulse. So if they get hit by all three pulses they'll have 9 seconds of poison (93dmg) an 27 raw dmg from the trap.

Most skills that apply bleeding will apply multiple stacks of it because bleeding stacks in magnitude not duration, so 1 stack of bleeding is pretty worthless unless its lasting for 20s and even then it's not -that- good, however 5 stacks of bleeding from a skill is pretty great! And if you manage to get 25 stacks that a LOT of dmg per second
    Great I get it,thanks for the jummy information.

This is the reason why I don't like (most) condition builds for example:

On my ranger if I am bleedspeced and my pet is bleed focused aswell and I see 25stacks of bleeding on the boss. I see my dmg (just throwing out numbers here) being 100dmg but I also see my pet bleed dmg which is 50.
    This means that I have for instance 20stacks of bleeding doing 2k dps and my pet does 250dps?

Let's say the given premise is fact and always true in any situation (I contribute to 4/5 of the bleed and my pet to 1/5) If I now crit a lot I will lose dps since I have to wait for my pet's bleed to finish.

This ofcourse is true for other classes aswell, if anyone in your group applies bleeds in any way shape or form they are limiting your potential max dps.
    The first come first serve principle with (intencity) stacking conditions is very cripling to any build relying on conditions, it would be great if my stacks overwrite weaker stacks once we reach 25stacks but afaik this isn't true.

No offense but this was the only CLEAR answer,

Bloodhunters' answer was a garble: "3 Stacks for bleeding for a total of 5 seconds of total bleeding for a total damage of 84 damage in those 5 seconds." a total for of a total of for total what? seriously...

Perhaps "3 stacks of bleeding will cause a total of 84 damage over 5 seconds."
    Last edited by Difuid; 2012-12-31 at 11:44 AM.