Page 1 of 65
... LastLast
    Deleted

Best/Worst Expansion Discussion Thread

Hello there.
    Im curious as to which you guys consider the best and worse expansion and WHY?
    I personally liked them in this order:
    TBC>WOTLK>CATA>MOP, exactly how they appeared. I havent played Vanilla so i dont know what was up there.

Why?
    Apart from LORE, which was best imo in TBC and worst in MoP and Cata, also there were a few requirement that would diferentiate the players.
    For example in TBC you had to work for pvp gear. If i remember right all the items except a few had arena rating requirement. Now even the 1000 rated guys can have all the gear they want except 1 or 2.

PVE was much harder, only around 200 guilds have seen Kil'jaedan in TBC (and that after the nerf), weaker guilds got disbanded which is great cos they knew they were weak. I count myself among the ones that have seen Kil'jaedan dead before nerf, but i dont wana brag about myself. There was guild competitions at that time.
    Even players were competing on DPS for example. Now they get legendaries and quit.
    Why would one get legendary and quit? I get legendary and destroy all others on DPS so bad that they ll remember me!

Now in MoP/Cata is like theres no competition anymore, and everyone can get what gear they want, and see what boss they want. Most players just play arena for points... to get gear only. Why get gear if you dont wana go up?

But anyway what do you guys think?

Mod-note: Changed title of the thread, as well as merged with 2 newer threads to keep all expansion discussions gathered under one roof. This is an old thread, OP hasn't bee around for a long time but the expansion discussion threads was getting bothersome in multiples, so thought I would merge them. Front page is to be considered just another users opinion, as all of us have opinions to share
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-04-12 at 10:27 AM.

We do not need this thread every single week. Please, try coming up with new discussions.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

15+ Year Old Account
    MoP>CATA>WotLK>TBC>Vanilla (raiding since 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by keksplace View Post
    Now in MoP/Cata is like theres no competition anymore, and everyone can get what gear they want, and see what boss they want.
    so you are 16/16 HC and glad this season..congratz I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I think you're a narcissist.

BCs raid and progression model was an objective failure
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2012-12-31 at 11:44 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

WOTLK (because the theme was the shit) > TBC > MOP > CATA
    My dad once told me that aslong as religion existed, even I could make my own fantasy buddys

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    MoP>CATA>WotLK>TBC>Vanilla (raiding since 2005)
    You high or something?

From best to worst:

MoP
    Cataclysm
    WotLK
    TBC
    Vanilla (I know, not an expansion, bear with me)

Basically the game keeps getting better as we move on. While prior expansions have had individual good and bad points, overall it's been an improvement with each expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    I think you're a narcissist.

BCs raid and progression model was an objective failure
    I knew i shouldnt brag about my shit.
    But anyway just a quick arrogance: the narcisisst thinks hes awesome or something. I dont think. I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancleave View Post
    You high or something?
    Either high or able to judge objectively

Although I'd switch LK with Cata.

the narcisisst thinks hes awesome or something. I dont think. I am.
    Thinkception;

The narcissist thinks he knows he's awesome
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Best to worst.

WoTLK+MoP - Cata....

After 4-5 pages i will add the next because thats the place they deserve.

Reasons ?

WoTLK - Best lore, raids, good istances and great athmosphere.

MoP - Great in almost everything, tons of stuff to do.

Cata - Despite not great lore, i enjoyed the raids / istances and atmosphere.

The others were too bad to be worth an explanation of why.

Btw we dont need another thread of WoTLK is the best time ever ( even tho we all agree ).

C what i did there ?

lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancleave View Post
    You high or something?
    I'm simply free of nostalgia glasses. Appart from old friends older WoW version were in no way better than what was released later. Each expantion fixed tons of horrible mechanics that were the core of the previous one.

Deleted
    WOTLK,
    TBC,
    cata,
    MoP ...
    things seemed so much more fun and enjoyable thru wotlk.. i only started after half way thru TBC so didnt get the full satisfaction from it
    cata seemed great at start, then went a bit shit, then got great again then went all tits up with dragon fukkin soul pff.. MoP is shit... end of..

WOTLK times ftw.........

Hmmm, I would say
    WotLK > MoP=Cata > TBC

10+ Year Old Account
    weaker guilds got disbanded which is great cos they knew they were weak. I count myself among the ones that have seen Kil'jaedan dead before nerf, but i dont wana brag about myself. There was guild competitions at that time.
    Even players were competing on DPS for example. Now they get legendaries and quit.
    Why would one get legendary and quit? I get legendary and destroy all others on DPS so bad that they ll remember me!
    I'm sorry.. You think its great guilds disbanded? I don't even. It clearly seems you want to brag because else you wouldnt have said anything about it, the info doesnt have any use other then bragging...

The changes you describe in both pvp and pve were quite mandatory to keep the casual player in the game. Theres still diferentiation between players, maybe not as much as in tbc but stil... You've got elite pvp gear and heroic/heroic elite pve gear.

If blizzard didnt come through with the changes made (easy accessible gear) then they would've losed alot more % of their player base, which might have resulted in less money/time investment on blizzards part for new expansions/patches, wich in turn leads to even shittier shit then what we've got now :')

I liked TBC the best of all expansions but thats basicly because it was the first expansion and back then 'new stuff' felt new! Now its like gaaahhhhh another expansion gotta lvl again do them dailies again... Simply not bothering because its always more of the same thing.

Things tend to get old...

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Deleted
    I'd say Wrath/MoP > Cata > TBC.

I'm loving MoP, loved Wrath but considering MoP is still new, I don't outright want to say it's better than Wrath, a lot can change between now and the end of the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account

PVE was much harder, only around 200 guilds have seen Kil'jaedan in TBC (and that after the nerf), weaker guilds got disbanded which is great cos they knew they were weak. I count myself among the ones that have seen Kil'jaedan dead before nerf, but i dont wana brag about myself. There was guild competitions at that time.

When I look at old videos from Sunwell, I see how bad of a player I was. I see my mistakes. I see how clueless I actally was compared to now. And yet, I killed Kil'jaeden pre-3.0 before the big nerf.

It's all rose-tinted glasses. Boss mechanics in Sunwell were ridiculously simple compared to those that we are now dealing with. You just had to bring enough resto shamans for heroism and enough warlocks for shadow bolt spam (a bit of an exaggeration, but in essence, that was it). Movement requirements in Sunwell were minimal. Debuffs to watch out for - minimal. Even at Felmyst, you had guilds who said "Screw this, we'll heal through it and just stand there dpsing her." My guild moved though. People were generally bad at movement. ^^ Dpswell. Hpswell.

The hardest part about Sunwell was to get the gear to stand a chance in there due to the gating of T5/T6 that was lifted relatively late in the expansion. Quel'danas made it easier, but it was by no means optimal, it was just enough to make top-guilds actually consider you if you happened to play a class that was worth stacking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hello there.
    The difficulty of TBC came from the bad progression model. SWP did not require skill. It required mostly gear and not broken specs. No resto shamans in guild? Go screw yourself, you won't progress thru SWP.

Even players were competing on DPS for example.
    worldoflogs would like a word with you - they did not exist in TBC. Also, pressing 1 button (be it macro or spell) didn't require any skill at all. You winning on dmg meters came from the class/spec you played - not if you knew how to do it.

Now in MoP/Cata is like theres no competition anymore, and everyone can get what gear they want, and see what boss they want.
    Have you beaten all the encounters Cata and MoP had to offer? Because only seeing boss texture doesn't really count. For that you could use youtube as well :P Guilds that focus on hardmodes still have plenty of competition among themselves especially with wowprogress around. In fact PvE progression was never as competitive in Vanilla+TBC as it had become since Ulduar.

best in this order

mists

vanilla

wrath

cata

bc.

the burning crusade is a horrible pile of crap filled with retcons, horrible character development, 'just cos foar teh lolz' super villains and story arcs, and crystals shoved everywhere.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ive been playing since Vanilla and Id have to say MoP is the best in terms of Overall content and we are barely on the first tier of pve. WotLK because the atmosphere, lore and the LK BC, Cata and then Vanilla. Many will say they miss Vanilla but there was sooo much that needed to be improved on that there is no way it could possibly be anywhere near the best of WoW. In fairness though, it was the start so it gets a pass.