Deleted

How does Power Strikes REALLY work?

Hey guys,

I was trying to get a WA created to track the ICD so I knew when it was coming back up. The talent said 20 seconds so I did the 20 second timer, no problem. When I started testing it was coming back up when I had 4-6 seconds remaining. I lowered the count down to 15 second and it still comes up before the timer runs out.

Even stranger, if you don't use it immediately it can come back up as quick as 8 seconds after the first use, nothing like the 20 seconds displayed.

So I ask, How does Power Strikes work?

PS CD will always be 20seconds however if you have max chi then it will proc on the next jab that you use WHEN not chi capped. If you are chi capped for 10 seconds after the proc is available then the timer does not stop. What this means is that if a proc is available and you cant use it then the time between PS's becomes shorter because the ICD does not stop. If you do not proc a PS prior to (I believe) 15sec then your next PS ICD is reset. You can never proc 2 PS's back to back but you can lower the timing between them (no point to do this at all though).

Don't do it on timer, you get a buff when it's ready, track that. Also, as above said, you're really capping chi on monk?...

Deleted
    This was on a dummy so I wasn't spending chi - that explains it thought. I only wanted to track the ICD so I could expect a double incoming chi instead of it being slightly unknown.

I like tracking CDs and ICDs like trinkets so I know when they are coming back up to double up etc.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 03:40 PM ----------

You still get the buff regardless of your maximum Chi though and you can consume it as normal (not that it makes a difference) just trying to find some logic. So I'm not sure your statement about "it will proc on the next jab that you use WHEN not chi capped" is correct, seeing as you can get it even if chi capped.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are already at maximum a chi sphere will appear, says that right in the tooltip. Don't know where you guys are getting the whole 'buff won't be consumed' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Hey guys,

I was trying to get a WA created to track the ICD so I knew when it was coming back up. The talent said 20 seconds so I did the 20 second timer, no problem. When I started testing it was coming back up when I had 4-6 seconds remaining. I lowered the count down to 15 second and it still comes up before the timer runs out.

Even stranger, if you don't use it immediately it can come back up as quick as 8 seconds after the first use, nothing like the 20 seconds displayed.

So I ask, How does Power Strikes work?
    Heres how it really works the 20 second cd starts the second you get the "proc" once the proc is used if 20 seconds has passed by since the last "proc" it will give it to you so yes in raids/dungeons its possible to get two power strikes instantly. I don't know if this is truly intended but I switched to acension and I am loving it even more due to the fact it gives me more reliable energy regen vs this "proc" so it helps with other moves i have to cast. In raids I will be switching back to power strikes but in dungeons/aoe fights ill use acension

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dero View Post
    Heres how it really works the 20 second cd starts the second you get the "proc" once the proc is used if 20 seconds has passed by since the last "proc" it will give it to you so yes in raids/dungeons its possible to get two power strikes instantly. I don't know if this is truly intended but I switched to acension and I am loving it even more due to the fact it gives me more reliable energy regen vs this "proc" so it helps with other moves i have to cast. In raids I will be switching back to power strikes but in dungeons/aoe fights ill use acension
    Yea. There's no reason to hit 5 chi anyway so for me that part of ascension is just a "good to have" kinda deal. That tier is all about maximizing your chi and power strikes comes out on top - so that's why I'm trying to utilize it (Not to mention the Chi orb is essentially a 5th chi stack that you have to pickup - much like on ascension.)

EDIT: It also kinda feels like ascension is just the lazy choice and I should experiment to see which I prefer.

That tier is all about maximizing your chi and power strikes comes out on top - so that's why I'm trying to utilize it
    I hope you're talking about BrM, because that's not quite right for MW and horribly horribly wrong for WW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    I hope you're talking about BrM, because that's not quite right for MW and horribly horribly wrong for WW.
    Hows that horribly wrong for WW? Power strikes is the highest chi per minute, for all 3 specs. There's no error in that statement.

I play Brewmaster anyway.

Deleted
    Power strikes is the highest chi per minute, for all 3 specs.
    No, Ascension is a much better Chi generator for Windwalkers.
    There's no error in that statement.
    It's been demonstrated that Ascension is better. Prove your statement (but, well, you won't prove it, since there can't be a proof for something wrong).

Hows that horribly wrong for WW? Power strikes is the highest chi per minute, for all 3 specs. There's no error in that statement.

I play Brewmaster anyway.
    Wat?

For WW: 1 Chi = 20 Energy (Jab is 40, gives 2). Therefore 1 Chi per 20 seconds is equal to 1 Energy per second.

Ascension gives 15% more energy regeneration, that's 1.5 energy per second even before haste. Clearly above and beyond Power Strikes.

For BrM: 1 Chi = 40 energy, making Power Strikes equal to 2 energy per second. For Ascension to give 2 energy per second, energy regeneration would have to be equal to or above 13.333 per second before it. While BrM isn't quite getting that much haste this tier, it definitely will starting next tier, but maybe not until heroic raid gear. It's close, but Power Strikes wins for now although it does not scale.

For MW: Just plain awful. Ascension gives more total resources, but Chi Brew is also useful because of its burst potential. Power Strikes is just bad for Mistweaver, look for any of the Ascension vs Chi Brew math to explain why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morion View Post
    No, Ascension is a much better Chi generator for Windwalkers.

It's been demonstrated that Ascension is better. Prove your statement (but, well, you won't prove it, since there can't be a proof for something wrong).
    Ah, I forgot that WW gets 2 Chi for each jab.

Ascension
    15% Energy Per Second (15% of 10 energy per second = 1.5 EPS)

Jab = 40 for 2 chi
    1 Jab = 26.66... Seconds
    2/26.66 = 0.075 CPS

Power Strikes
    1 Chi every 20 Seconds
    1/20 = 0.05 CPS

Chi Brew
    4 Chi every 90 Seconds
    4/90 = 0.044... CPS

The only downside to ascension I can see is the fact that jab is terrible terrible damage and you have to cast an extra jab instead of the other 2 options where you only cast the higher DPE attacks to spend your chi.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    For MW: Just plain awful. Ascension gives more total resources, but Chi Brew is also useful because of its burst potential. Power Strikes is just bad for Mistweaver, look for any of the Ascension vs Chi Brew math to explain why.
    I've been looking at ascension v. power strikes discussions for mistweaver, and everything I've seen agrees with my assessment that the chi from power strikes is worth more in most cases than the extra mana from base mana and mana tea from ascension. The only disagreement is that some people claim that ascension gives higher base mana regen making up for that, but the character screen doesn't show any change in base mana regen. Can you give a reliable source/argument/data to back up what you say?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only downside to ascension I can see is the fact that jab is terrible terrible damage and you have to cast an extra jab instead of the other 2 options where you only cast the higher DPE attacks to spend your chi.
    Yes, Jab is less damage than BoK or RSK, but we also use Expel Harm during heavy damage phases (~15k more damage, in addition to 2 chi). Overall, Ascension is simply better for WW - every math and amount of theorycrafting in that department has shown that. It allows us to reforge away from a high amount of haste into crit, which gives us more damage due to its scaling with damage multipliers (such as Tigereye Brew, 2% more damage per stack used, or Rising Sun Kick's debuff, 15% more damage from the WW's attacks). In addition, some spreadsheets have shown that Tiger Strikes works slightly better with crit than it does with haste.

So, there's more to specing into Ascension for WW than just the amount of chi per second! Overall, it's had a fantastic benefit for the spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Audax View Post
    I've been looking at ascension v. power strikes discussions for mistweaver, and everything I've seen agrees with my assessment that the chi from power strikes is worth more in most cases than the extra mana from base mana and mana tea from ascension. The only disagreement is that some people claim that ascension gives higher base mana regen making up for that, but the character screen doesn't show any change in base mana regen. Can you give a reliable source/argument/data to back up what you say?
    It really depends on how you look at the math. The math I did in the sticky said Asc is better. But the guy over at EJ thinks that since you would have spent the mana on a jab to gain the extra chi that the math that way says PS is better. I think that's a bit of a back asswards way of looking at it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alysmera View Post
    In addition, some spreadsheets have shown that Tiger Strikes works slightly better with crit than it does with haste.
    Out of curiosity, any idea why? 1% haste increases your melee and energy haste by 1% which should keep things identical rotation wise (ignoring timed buffs/debuffs). So you will just do everything 1% quicker.

Not sure I understand why tigers palm would differ from rising sun as far as haste/crit goes.