Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My View of GW2 summary....brief.

Games that I will compare it to..i've had the game for alittle over a month now...

Shadowbane
    WoW

Depending on what you're looking for in a game GW2 provides some good things and some extremely disappointing things.

Are you playing for PvE, or PvP?

1) Leveling - For GW2 Quite honestly the first character will probably take some time to level as you learn how to do it, my 2nd char to lvl 80 took about 5 days.
    I made my thief as a first toon and an elementalist as the 2nd

I was suprised at the speed upon which I could level. This is a plus for GW2
    I was disappointed at what I could do after I hit level 80...I will go into greater detail in a moment

PvE environment
    Cool stories, events help move yourself up the level ladder faster, I did both characters basically solo, would hook up with others in big events. I like this about Guild Wars 2. You are not screwed if you don't know anyone in the game.

2)
    PvP Environment
    Such a huge disappointment. ZERG ZERG ZERG....that is all it is. No skill, run around pushing number buttons and run out when health gets low. No real purpose to anything.

with those 2 points made, here are my comparisons
    WOW - GW2 - Very similar in many many things, weapons, attacks...my thief on WoW was much like my Thief in GW2 as far as game play.
    GW2 > WoW for leveling. I played WoW for about 5 months got to level 50 and was so bored with the game I gave it up

Shadowbane > GW2 PvP
    There is no comparison between the 2. SB you had skin in the game you made up your world, you owned your own city, you lost items you carried on your body when you died, you were constantly under threat of PvP, but what made SB so much better than GW2 was that you could solo PvP. There is very little hope for that in GW2,

"you either run with the Zerg or you die by the Zerg"

I will be told as I've seen it before, this is not the game for me...it is true, it's not. For those that want PvP light, it's a great game, and I think the leveling is quick and fun. Far better than a go to a camp and farm it for XP/Gold...that grind gets boring, but it brings me to my biggest point
    that is where a GW2 > Shadowbane and GW2 FAR Superior > to WoW.

GW2 has ZERO end game desire. There's nothing special about level 80. Your game is pretty much go pvp with the zerg. or rerun dungeons for neat virtual gifts....also, it's largely a gear based game, in PvP there is no /tar to coordinate attacks on and individual.

I rate the game a 2.5 out of 4 stars.....overall
    PvE 4 out of 4
    PvP 2 out of 4

For PvP my elementalist is awesome....you'd think squishy, quite the contrary, I run in the middle of people and cast spells and am able to run out...I like that, I don't want to give a horrendous impression of the game, but Zerg mentality is never a good thing for games, and that is what this game's pvp is all about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorZ281 View Post
    Games that I will compare it to..i've had the game for alittle over a month now...

Shadowbane
    WoW

Depending on what you're looking for in a game GW2 provides some good things and some extremely disappointing things.

Are you playing for PvE, or PvP?

1) Leveling - For GW2 Quite honestly the first character will probably take some time to level as you learn how to do it, my 2nd char to lvl 80 took about 5 days.
    I made my thief as a first toon and an elementalist as the 2nd

I was suprised at the speed upon which I could level. This is a plus for GW2
    I was disappointed at what I could do after I hit level 80...I will go into greater detail in a moment

PvE environment
    Cool stories, events help move yourself up the level ladder faster, I did both characters basically solo, would hook up with others in big events. I like this about Guild Wars 2. You are not screwed if you don't know anyone in the game.

2)
    PvP Environment
    Such a huge disappointment. ZERG ZERG ZERG....that is all it is. No skill, run around pushing number buttons and run out when health gets low. No real purpose to anything.

with those 2 points made, here are my comparisons
    WOW - GW2 - Very similar in many many things, weapons, attacks...my thief on WoW was much like my Thief in GW2 as far as game play.
    GW2 > WoW for leveling. I played WoW for about 5 months got to level 50 and was so bored with the game I gave it up

Shadowbane > GW2 PvP
    There is no comparison between the 2. SB you had skin in the game you made up your world, you owned your own city, you lost items you carried on your body when you died, you were constantly under threat of PvP, but what made SB so much better than GW2 was that you could solo PvP. There is very little hope for that in GW2,

"you either run with the Zerg or you die by the Zerg"

I will be told as I've seen it before, this is not the game for me...it is true, it's not. For those that want PvP light, it's a great game, and I think the leveling is quick and fun. Far better than a go to a camp and farm it for XP/Gold...that grind gets boring, but it brings me to my biggest point
    that is where a GW2 > Shadowbane and GW2 FAR Superior > to WoW.

GW2 has ZERO end game desire. There's nothing special about level 80. Your game is pretty much go pvp with the zerg. or rerun dungeons for neat virtual gifts....also, it's largely a gear based game, in PvP there is no /tar to coordinate attacks on and individual.

I rate the game a 2.5 out of 4 stars.....overall
    PvE 4 out of 4
    PvP 2 out of 4

For PvP my elementalist is awesome....you'd think squishy, quite the contrary, I run in the middle of people and cast spells and am able to run out...I like that, I don't want to give a horrendous impression of the game, but Zerg mentality is never a good thing for games, and that is what this game's pvp is all about.
    Have you tried structured (5v5) pvp?
    Cause I guess that wasn't what you meant by "zergy" pvp.
    Btw, there is a target button, it's Ctrl T.

Next to that, there are some other things to do in the pve envirronment, like jumping puzzles or fractals of the mists.
    Even further world exploration if you're interrested in that.
    Well, that's my two cents.

You are right, the 5 on 5 is not a zerg part. I was referring to World vs World, which I did not give GW2 the credit it deserves on that. For years, there's always been server debates on who's the best, and in order to prove so someone would have to leave their server reroll their characters, to beat their competition. The WvW scenario's is a major Kudo to the GW2 developers. Would it not be cool though if your server could group up...and go to another server patrol the PvE areas and roll that server? thus causing that server to band together to drive them out? Giving a real purpose for a level 80 character to be online?

your 5 on 5 scenario is a point well taken, but again, and only for me( as i understand most do not like this) it's a "set up" scenario.

Deleted
    gear based game???? explain please 0.o....
    also zerg? did you even play spvp???

You base your entire PvP experience on one form of PvP (WvWvW) and ignore the other parts.

Additionally, I would hate a PvP game where I lose my gear if I die as you are suggesting. Maybe you enjoy it but I certainly wouldn't. I even hate that when you die in PvP you get repair costs and in GW2 those are pretty brutal. I get the reasoning behind it, it stops people from trying to 1 man army but still, it sucks.

Deleted
    Wow has no thief class. You meant rogue i suppose.

5 months to get to lvl50? Thats like eating a cake with 1 small bite each day and taking 5 months to eat half of it ( considering you havent even reached max lvl in WoW ).

All im saying is that your tiny experience on any of the MMOs you talk about doesnt really validate your opinion as a strong one. There are plenty of threads here with better and more detailed info to discuss.

Would it not be cool though if your server could group up...and go to another server patrol the PvE areas and roll that server? thus causing that server to band together to drive them out? Giving a real purpose for a level 80 character to be online?
    You are describing exactly what is happening in WvW (group up with your server, invade their server-home maps and roll those), and yeah: it is cool and I love it. There aren't only big zergs; If you think so, you clearly missed the small group action in WvW which is happening too.

Deleted
    My only concern on GW2 is about the lack of the so-called "Holy Trinity". Instead of having an innovation, I find the PvE of GW2 a little blunt tbh, where enough stamina and kiting solves most problems against strong mobs. Maybe it's because I love playing the healer part that bothers me so much...
    On the other hand with no healers/tanks, the game is less forgiving and true skill can be easier be noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    Wow has no thief class. You meant rogue i suppose.

5 months to get to lvl50? Thats like eating a cake with 1 small bite each day and taking 5 months to eat half of it ( considering you havent even reached max lvl in WoW ).

All im saying is that your tiny experience on any of the MMOs you talk about doesnt really validate your opinion as a strong one. There are plenty of threads here with better and more detailed info to discuss.

I played Shadowbane for 4 years...prior to that it was Asherons Call and Ultima Online...WoW was a lame attempt at PvP game. the "Rogue" as you corrected me, was ok and the game for PvE was fine...I said I was bored to tears trying to level...that is a fact. GW2, is far superior in the leveling aspect, the game play of my "ROGUE" and my GW2 "THIEF" is extremely similar for a different game. That was the only comparison I was making.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    You are describing exactly what is happening in WvW (group up with your server, invade their server-home maps and roll those), and yeah: it is cool and I love it. There aren't only big zergs; If you think so, you clearly missed the small group action in WvW which is happening too.
    Answering to 2 posts here...first part is spvp
    I have done spvp it's fun. just not what I was hoping for out of GW2....as i was referring the wvw is the zerg, the 5 on 5 and 10 v 10 is fun..not to take anything away from that, but I like the idea of being able to run through the realm and pvp...as well. nothing against gw2 overall, it's a matter of personal preference.

2nd to Maarius:
    I have not been privileged enough to "Not" run into massive groups of enemy. People coming into WvW say "where's the Zerg at" when they enter the instance....that's telling.

GW2 has ZERO end game desire. There's nothing special about level 80. or rerun dungeons for neat virtual gifts....
    This has been a staple of the series for close to 7-8 years now. And was promoted as being the same in the sequel to the first 4 Guild Wars games.

Not sure how one can express disappointment in an aspect key to the franchise and touted throughout 7 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This has been a staple of the series for close to 7-8 years now. And was promoted as being the same in the sequel to the first 4 Guild Wars games.

Not sure how one can express disappointment in an aspect key to the franchise and touted throughout 7 or so years.
    It's because there are a lot of new players to the game that haven't played the first one. You can read something all you want (although I doubt a lot of the new players really understood how it works) but you won't really understand the game's philosophy until you experience it. I believe that a lot of players still don't understand the game's drop in and out playstyle, a playstyle that the developers have stated many times that their goal for the game was.

I am an unabashed hater of bandwagoners. Nothing seems to irk me more... although it shouldn't logically.

Don't worry though. I am storing ALL my hatred for the inevitable influx of players to Everquest Next that have no right even playing an MMO. Saving all the hate up right now, deep in my cruel black heart. All of it.

Eyes like knives. /MMO hipster

There's much better battles to be had in WvW, sure there's some zergs but if you actually spend some time with a semi organised group it's great.

Me and a small group (around 6) managed to hold some gates against 3 times as many enemies, including two Thiefs who knew how to spam stealth and generally be annoying... it was brilliant, we had no supply and no siege weapons either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Deleted
    I played Shadowbane for 4 years...prior to that it was Asherons Call and Ultima Online...WoW was a lame attempt at PvP game. the "Rogue" as you corrected me, was ok and the game for PvE was fine...I said I was bored to tears trying to level...that is a fact. GW2, is far superior in the leveling aspect, the game play of my "ROGUE" and my GW2 "THIEF" is extremely similar for a different game. That was the only comparison I was making.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 12:32 PM ----------

Answering to 2 posts here...first part is spvp
    I have done spvp it's fun. just not what I was hoping for out of GW2....as i was referring the wvw is the zerg, the 5 on 5 and 10 v 10 is fun..not to take anything away from that, but I like the idea of being able to run through the realm and pvp...as well. nothing against gw2 overall, it's a matter of personal preference.

2nd to Maarius:
    I have not been privileged enough to "Not" run into massive groups of enemy. People coming into WvW say "where's the Zerg at" when they enter the instance....that's telling.
    alot of people use the Eternal Battleground Puzzle As a pvp zone no zergs =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kuruptz View Post
    alot of people use the Eternal Battleground Puzzle As a pvp zone no zergs =P
    People are using it for dueling as well.

Ran into a an out of the way place in the puzzle and found a realmie going toe to toe against an enemy. I jump in and downed the fellow and my realmie shouts 'DON'T FINISH!" I go ? and he says, "We are dueling."

So now you know. If you want to duel with a friend on another realm, just agree to a time and place somewhere in WvW or the jump puzzle
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, even if you read the stuff A.Net put out, you'd be pretty confused. Between all their "Whole game is endgame" and "You'll have epic encounters right from level 1!" it's easy to think that the game would offer something different than it really does.
    Not sure that rhetoric is confusing for any astute reader. It's actually kinda accurate for the "whole game is endgame" slogan. Since the game is was not bimodal.

Until fractals, "the whole game is endgame" was probably the truest bit of promotion short of "no subscription fee".

Not sure that rhetoric is confusing for any astute reader. It's actually kinda accurate for the "whole game is endgame" slogan. Since the game is was not bimodal.

Until fractals, "the whole game is endgame" was probably the truest bit of promotion short of "no subscription fee".
    not sure why you didn't get what Anet meant with the slogan "the whole game is endgame", since you are in these forums quite a while now. They explained multiple times what was meant: at max. level you do the same kind of stuff you did at earlier levels. This hasn't changed with fractals at all, had quite a few lowies in my group which each of them got scaled to 80 and did it's fair share of help in those dungeons. In other games once you reach max. level, the game changes fundamentally. In those games you won't see a raid until you reach max. level, from then on it's raiding-time. This isn't true for GW2. You do the fun stuff nearly from the get-go.

When we looked at the concept of “endgame” for Guild Wars 2, we designed it the same way. We didn’t want the endgame to be something you could only experience after a hundred hours of gameplay or after you reached some arbitrary number. We wanted it to be something that players got to experience every step along the way, spread out across the entire world of Tyria, so we’ve introduced game elements that you’d normally associate with “endgame” at every level and every possible opportunity.
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/t...me-reimagined/

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    not sure why you didn't get what Anet meant with the slogan "the whole game is endgame", since you are in these forums quite a while now. They explained multiple times what was meant: at max. level you do the same kind of stuff you did at earlier levels.
    Did you even read the post you are replying to or comprehend what you read?

I just said it was a true statement on Anet's part because the game was not bimodal.

This hasn't changed with fractals at all
    No, incorrect. Fractals are by design multi-mode.

When the flip switches from 0 to 1 agony, you are in a new mode.

Did you even read the post you are replying to or comprehend what you read?

I just said it was a true statement on Anet's part because the game was not bimodal.

No, incorrect. Fractals are by design multi-mode.

When the flip switches from 0 to 1 agony, you are in a new mode.
    Ah yes, I didn't get the first part, sorry... having a hard time sometimes with foreign languages

about the 2nd part: As I see it the agony-mechanic matters very late in this dungeon-mode. (at least to me since I'm not a hardcore-player who is above rank10 in one week). Every low level player can experience the content (for me content is "new areas", not "new difficulty of the same area) as long as he wants. As a level 50 player I can play fractal lv.4 indefinitely long, I don't have to try the harder fractal-levels if I don't enjoy it. No one pushes me - you can play with your guildies the lv.4 fractal for weeks and enjoy each of the different mini-dungeons in there. It's not like I have to be a certain level to "unlock" the colossus-fraktal. Each of those are open from lv.1 - without the need for agony.

if for you new content equals new difficulty (of the same thing) then you could talk about flipping switches. It depends on how you look at it.

Yea, I don't think the agony mechanic is too large a barrier. But it is nonetheless a direct, linear and bimodal addition to the game which did not exist at the time release. Agony is even a progressive system. This is was stated flatly in Anet's blog on the agony mechanic in fact.

The actual point at which agony kicks in isn't too relevant to the fact GW2 introduced a multi-mode, tiered advancement system what is currently separate from other PVE activities. A bimodal, linear and progressive play system.

I only put the caveat of "is was not bimodal" in the original post as a matter of accuracy within the rules of the game.