Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Don't worry though. I am storing ALL my hatred for the inevitable influx of players to Everquest Next that have no right even playing an MMO. Saving all the hate up right now, deep in my cruel black heart. All of it.
    If SOE actually follows through on the promise to get back to those EQ classic roots with Next, then we won't have to worry about bandwagoners... because they'll cry an Ocean of Tears (cwutididthar?) and drown themselves in it after a few hours of play.

Hope EQ Next is the most anathema game to the modern MMO player for whom their major MMO was World of Warcraft.

I want EQN to be the last bastion of all that is good and holy within true MMOs; losing gear on death, loss of XP on death, the possibility to lose levels, encumbrance such that one can drown, slow or become immobile by virtue of the heft in their backpack.

Mundane quests that require a group of 20 by level 7 to progress beyond. The need to have multiple gear sets tailored to certain environments. Rare and obscure mob spawns necessary for progress, raids requiring coordination of guilds upwards for 60 people.

I want Sally Standsinfire to auto attack for 49 levels before she gets her first Summon Minor Air Elemental.

Hell levels.

Quests without coordinates.

Dying of thirst and/or hunger.

You disgust me, World of Warcraft [players].

don't hold back Fencers, say what you really feel

Can't let it all out. Need to save up some hatred for Everquest Next launch day when a Sally Standsinfire asks in world chat, "How do I talk in map chat?".

It is then that my venom will be released like a cobra stalking a gazelle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I got up to about level 40 in gw2 and I agree with most of what you were saying. I rolled the warrior and had the hardest time having fun. I played with a group of friends and found that the world pvp was amazing, sticking together and smashing up smaller groups looking to lay siege to our settlements felt amazing. But, when I would be leveling solo, everything destroyed me. I went with the 2h/1hshield combo. I'd stun and switch out for the massive bladeflurry crits with the 2h. This was fun at first, until I hit around 30. Around 30 all the mobs would crush me the second they were out of stun. If i'd pull 2 or 3 mobs, I was going to die. Veteren mobs were a huge challenge with tons of kiting and a small degree of luck. I hated how challenging it felt to do something so simple. Eventually I changed out to a rifle and would just kite mobs around and knockback when they'd get on top of me. Guess how much fun pushing those 3 buttons for the next 5 levels felt... Terrible.

Even worse, were the dungeons. Probably my biggest problem with the game was the horrible dungeons. I think I did the first 2 or 3, and they were the biggest gong show I've ever experienced in any game I've ever played. How anyone has any fun at all line of sighting mobs, getting 2 shot, and picking up allies over and over is far beyond me. They were overtunned, boring, and frustrating.

I really wanted to enjoy the game, but I ended up wishing I would never have bought it.

And pvp. LoL I could hop on anyone and nearly 1 shot them with the stun/bladefurry combo. Was so funny, until a thief would 1 shot me in the back. Or a mesmer would teleport around indefinitely and never die.

Deleted
    Hope EQ Next is the most anathema game to the modern MMO player for whom their major MMO was World of Warcraft.

I want EQN to be the last bastion of all that is good and holy within true MMOs; losing gear on death, loss of XP on death, the possibility to lose levels, encumbrance such that one can drown, slow or become immobile by virtue of the heft in their backpack.

Mundane quests that require a group of 20 by level 7 to progress beyond. The need to have multiple gear sets tailored to certain environments. Rare and obscure mob spawns necessary for progress, raids requiring coordination of guilds upwards for 60 people.

I want Sally Standsinfire to auto attack for 49 levels before she gets her first Summon Minor Air Elemental.

Hell levels.

Good luck getting the fabled 100 mil budget needed to make a game like that again, so don't expect that to happen, just thinking of a pitch for that in front of a board made me chuckle. Unless you look at indie, and usually indie is a bunch of crap.

Here's SOE's take on EQN “define the next generation of MMOs”, haven't we seen that one before like every damn time? My bet is a disaster of D&D's 4th edition scale. But then again if you don't expect much to begin with there's no chance to be bitterly disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    Good luck getting the fabled 100 mil budget needed to make a game like that again
    Was in humor, sweetie.

Hell levels.

I literally just had this exact same rant a week ago with an old friend of mine who played EQ. Alas, the Golden Age of MMORPGs came and went so very quickly.

As much as I love the game, I do agree with the OP.

I bought this game for PvP. It was fun for a while, but very disappointing in general. All my other friends who bought the game for PvP have quit playing now. No matchmaking/ranked matches, just a tPvP system which is full of hardcore players stomping on pugs and guilds unexperienced. It's bad, it's really bad.

However I kept playing because I enjoyed the PvE so much and there is a lot to do. I never thought I would play a game based on its PvE content, but GW2 has me hooked.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lack of the holy trinity is fine, its once you have the classes you want leveled and farmed the coolest gear for each the motivation to play isnt there I have logged on a handful of times after but the motivation to play is gone period
    Its a good game ill agree but not enough to keep me playing atm
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right