Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I think you would have a hard time finding people who think he should - maybe one - but i dont doubt you will try to make it into a strawman.

I read the headline inside the link and couldn't bear more, idiocity-induced brain damage was already too much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Another person just created a thread with a link and a quote in it. This isn't much better. Maybe you should contribute to the discussion you're trying to start.

This part just seems weird in some ways
    ''I can’t help but feel this is somewhat of a political issue.”

Since as far as I know Kansas is a republican state it seems to be a republican attack on potential donors, the aim seems to me to make them afraid because they might have to pay child support.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you read the article, it appears that the lesbian parents don't even want it to happen. It's entirely the state of Kansas who is forcing the issue, as they forced the biological mother to disclose the name of the sperm donor by refusing benefits if she didn't.

It does puzzle me, though, why they sought a sperm donor through...Craig's List? I can only assume it was a less expensive path than going to a sperm bank. But unless the guy did his legal diligence prior to giving the sperm, he could be in trouble now.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    This part just seems weird in some ways .

Since as far as I know Kansas is a republican state it seems to be a republican attack on potential donors, the aim seems to me to make them afraid because they might have to pay child support.
    I think it's political to the extent that if it were an infertile straight couple who had a sperm donor, the state of Kansas likely wouldn't be seeking assistance from the sperm donor. I strongly suspect that's the "political" element here.

This guy was nothing but a doner. He has no responbility to these children. He should receive compensation from the state for the stress and legal fees he has occured.

It is technically his kid and needs support. How is this any different than a man who wants his woman to get an abortion, she has the kid and he is on the hook for support?

This is just another case of the state going after people for money.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    It is technically his kid and needs support. How is this any different than a man who wants his woman to get an abortion, she has the kid and he is on the hook for support?
    Because he donated the sperm to another couple who were supposed to take care of it. It is NOT his kid. Donating your genetic material does not make something your kid. He should effectively be treated as dead in this situation regarding child support.

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    If you read the article, it appears that the lesbian parents don't even want it to happen. It's entirely the state of Kansas who is forcing the issue, as they forced the biological mother to disclose the name of the sperm donor by refusing benefits if she didn't.

It does puzzle me, though, why they sought a sperm donor through...Craig's List? I can only assume it was a less expensive path than going to a sperm bank. But unless the guy did his legal diligence prior to giving the sperm, he could be in trouble now.

I think it's political to the extent that if it were an infertile straight couple who had a sperm donor, the state of Kansas likely wouldn't be seeking assistance from the sperm donor. I strongly suspect that's the "political" element here.
    Yeah I dont think this would be happening if the couple was heterosexual in the same circumstances. I dont know why anyone would donate sperm outside of a spermbank which would protect your anonymity.

The craigslist thing is weird since you can get the stuff for a few hundred dollars from a bank. Its the insemination thats expensive and you would have to do anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    these are not his kids

he should not pay

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see how it is legally tricky, since he did donate sperm outside of the more "protected" means ie a bank, and instead resorted to Craigslist, which actually in a literal manner makes him responsible... but really? It's pretty obvious that he was donating sperm for another couple, not for himself, and the same protections that other sperm donors receive in terms of not having any legal attachment to the child should be applied to him. Anyone who does this to people who decide to participate in helping another human being, and have no desire other than to aid others in finding happiness, is a pretty lowly individual.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    these are not his kids

he should not pay
    sorry ur wrong

his sperm so there his biological kids so i can see how legally he may have to pay child support
    Last edited by thunderdragon2; 2012-12-31 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    sorry ur wrong

his sperm so there his biological kids
    Might as well make sperm donation illegal then if this is the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    sorry ur wrong

his sperm so there his biological kids so i can see how legally he may have to pay child support
    it was a donation
    it was given to an already existing family
    he has no legal right to the kids

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I think you would have a hard time finding people who think he should - maybe one - but i dont doubt you will try to make it into a strawman.
    i suspect this is more of a bigger strawman initiated by a certain group of politicians, and parroted about by like-minded people. i wonder when fox will pick up the ball and run with it

Deleted
    ... whatever, people are stupid.

So now all the women who give their children into adoption should pay child support. Really ... where is this world coming to.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you read the article, the other mother in this situation even WANTS to provide support - but due to Kansas State law, which does not recognize same-sex marriage or same-sex partnerships in adoption, she can't. They even had to adopt their other children as single parents, because they could not as a couple.

How do people in that neck of the woods sleep at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    How do people in that neck of the woods sleep at night?
    With many guns. All within arms reach.

OT: I feel like I saw this story a while back (like, months ago)...don't know why it's popping up again. It's mind boggling that the laws won't allow for her partner to pay for child support (really, it's beyond foolish), and it's flat out offensive they want the donor to pay support.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    it was a donation
    it was given to an already existing family
    he has no legal right to the kids
    unless he signed some sort of approved consent form the sperm donation agency they are are still legally his,

im prity sure you need to so something like that to legally donate

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    ... whatever, people are stupid.

So now all the women who give their children into adoption should pay child support. Really ... where is this world coming to.
    not realy there are giving the child up through a legal channel

im sure i read that the guy didn't give sperm through a legal and secure channel