Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dec 21, 2012 is Over, so now what?

Just for my curiosity, but since the whole Mayan calender, Dec 21, 2012 did not mean the end of the world. What is next? I am just wondering. There is always someone predicting the end of the world/apocalypse. I remember before Dec 21, there was a preacher in the Oakland area claiming the world was going to end in Oct 2011. Just on the top of my head, the group from San deigo, Heavans Gate in the 1990s. Nostrodamus say anything? Edgar Caycee? I like looking this stuff up.

Deleted
    you missed march 2012, give the crackpots a few weeks at least to find their new one.

15+ Year Old Account
    MMO-Champ answer...

DO DAILY QUESTS!!!!! (?)
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Dec 21st, 2012 never meant the end of the world. If you like looking stuff up, you should have known this. I just don't understand how in this era we are still believing in propaganda of the news media when there is such a big resource available to us.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

Deleted
    When the world does end, it will be of our own making and we will see it coming.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    When the world does end, it will be of our own making and we will see it coming.
    It is hard not too, Donald Trumps toupée is visable from miles away.
    Sorry, had to break the first crappy joke of the new year
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

the world will end when the chicago cubs are within 1 pitch of winning the world series. so sayeth smelltheglove, let it be written into the book of prophesy
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    the world will end when the chicago cubs are within 1 pitch of winning the world series. so sayeth smelltheglove, let it be written into the book of prophesy
    I read this Post then I turned it up to 11

A wise man once said, "Always doubt the apocalypse, because usually you will be right and the one time you are wrong, no one will be around to say, 'I told you so."

Forgot who that wise man was.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    Cubs.... had no clue what it was so I had to google.
    Then I understood it was the picknick sport... Minnesota Vikings baby!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brash View Post
    A wise man once said, "Always doubt the apocalypse, because usually you will be right and the one time you are wrong, no one will be around to say, 'I told you so."

Forgot who that wise man was.
    Let's just say it was you :P

4,500,000,000 AD, when the sun becomes a red giant.

Religious ones are BS.

For example even in the bible Mark 13 31-32:

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. Concerning that day or the hour nobody knows, neither the angels in heaven nor the Son but the Father. Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is.
    Even if a meteor hit earth that doesn't mean it's the end. It might kill everyone but the Earth is still there and life might regrow. The only certain end is the Sun's demise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    4,500,000,000 AD, when the sun becomes a red giant.

Religious ones are BS.

For example even in the bible Mark 13 31-32:

Even if a meteor hit earth that doesn't mean it's the end. It might kill everyone but the Earth is still there and life might regrow. The only certain end is the Sun's demise.
    Well, the earth's demise is guaranteed well before the sun deminish.

I've got my money on the 2013/2014 Super-Solar-Storm EMP'ing the northern hemisphere.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I've got my money on the 2013/2014 Super-Solar-Storm EMP'ing the northern hemisphere.
    No please. What about my internet then

Thanks Serpenth. Great summary website. Now I can prepare for 2017. In the meantime I guess I'll be prepared for Obama and the UN when they come and take my guns.

I kind of like the Nov 13, 2026 Doomsday. Since our population is suppose to reach infinity. You all know what that means right. wink wink.

Quote Originally Posted by gimgrae View Post
    Just for my curiosity, but since the whole Mayan calender, Dec 21, 2012 did not mean the end of the world. What is next? I am just wondering. There is always someone predicting the end of the world/apocalypse. I remember before Dec 21, there was a preacher in the Oakland area claiming the world was going to end in Oct 2011. Just on the top of my head, the group from San deigo, Heavans Gate in the 1990s. Nostrodamus say anything? Edgar Caycee? I like looking this stuff up.
    The Mayan calendar NEVER said it was the end of the world, it meant the end of a cycle, their astronomy and cycle knowledge was quite advanced, we likely missed the significance of it, sadly people assumed it meant the end of the world, the most vocal at least.

It likely signifies the end of an earth cycle or solar cycle, it might have had quite a lot of importance to them, but dont forget technological differences, maybe the change is hardly felt due to it, where it would have been catastrophic for them, or it can mean many other things.
    I prefer to view it in a tad new agy way, even though it goes against my normal thought process, that it represents a change and an awakening of people towards human condition and its problems, a start to try and solve them.
    We make our own prophecies and we fulfill them, if enough people believe a change in society will happen, they will start it.

What did annoy me however is the sheer ignorance of both the people who were "omg end of the world" and the people who were mocking it

The two most common misconceptions were:

"hurr hurr they couldnt predict the spanish", the calendar was not an oracle, it was a measure of cycles, the spanish are not a cyclic event.
    "hurr hurr leap years" the calendar is not affected by leap years as it is a measure of days, 394 days means 394 days, leap years or not, also it used a modified base 20 math (ours is base 10) which is surprisingly advanced to a civilization that didnt even have the wheel, always made me wonder if they actually built all that or they found it and claimed as theirs? Who knows the truth is that they were quite an interesting civilization with quite advanced astronomic and mathematical knowledge and it shaped their culture