Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    They did address it, Boehner passed the buck to Obama by asking him to list the programs that need to be cut, without listing his own. With both sides obviously fighting over who gets the blame from those who use or depend on the programs they cut. McConnell even dared to give Obama full control of the debt ceiling, but filibustered his own bill.
    I'm not seeing where they addressed spending cuts in that process. It's just passing the blame to other people until it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I'm not seeing where they addressed spending cuts in that process. It's just passing the blame to other people until it's too late.
    Actually Obama offered to give SSI a chained CPI. Which means it would save around rougly 300 billion dollars. It means when the cost of living adjustments go up. It would stay down. For example the price of chicken rises. Instead of rising with higher prices. It would assume the person is eating another food of equal cost costing thousands of dollars of Benefits to go down for millions of Americans.

That actually angered a ton of Dems.

He also hinted at cutting medicare which is insurance program for elderly. There ARE spending cuts. Republicans John Mc Cain took SSI off the table. He did not want to have a argument tax cuts for rich people vs slashing programs for the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I've heard the argument, "You want European-style government? Then pay for it!"

Problem for me is, I don't want European-style government.
    So instead you want a government who takes your money, and doesn't use it for transport, educational, medical, security and enviromental projects and services, and uses it mainly for funding the military and making sure big businesses are fine?
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    It still baffles me that people really believed we were going over this so-called "cliff".

When has there EVER been a deal done weeks before a deadline? Both sides knew there was a deadline... so both sides just held out as long as possible in hopes of getting as much as possible until the last minute (this time, LITERALLY the last minute!)... but the end result would be passed in the deadline time.

Don't believe me? Well... stay tuned for the Media coverage of the "Debt ceiling" being raised.... will the government agree to a debt ceiling hike? Or will a deal not be brokered and the government get shut down!!!!

...(((Spoiler from the future!))) they'll just keep rejecting bills back n' forth to keep getting more for what they want until the last day, then it will pass.

It never changes... seriously, wake up and see how the damn game is played and stop believing in the damn media hype to keep you glued to reading their articles for fear of your lives... or worse, your wallets! >_<
    Wa-hey! Less than a week after the so-called "Fiscal Cliff" guess what? That's right! CNN says it right here:

Debt Ceiling is the New Cliff

Not that I want to toot my own horn... but more importantly, I want to make a VERY clear point from my previous post.

Take this as a lesson folks... live and learn to ignore the news networks. It's pure shovelcrap to make you believe there's going to be no agreement, when there will ALWAYS be an agreement in the end before the deadline.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

I have been watching this situation closely. As everyone else is frustrated with the last minute show down that lead to the Republicans barely passing the bill without the night before. However have you ever heard of a trillion dollar mint coin solution. I know it sounds insane. But some Dems are suggesting the President could actually mint a coin.

Make it out to be a trillion dollars. It would not affect inflation because its a coin its not printing money. It would left the debt just like that. No votes. No back door meetings. Nothing. Just raising the debt. I been slighted annoyed at Mitch minority leader in the senate boasting that the President would have a debate over spending cuts.

Despite the President telling the Republicans he will not debate on bills that were racked up through laws that they passed. So its legal. It requires virtually no votes. And it would stop a show down. I say do it. Stop the Republicans from cutting programs in a short term package that affects everyone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2410557.html

That's actually quite amusing, Fused. I think I would laugh very hard if Obama went with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    That's actually quite amusing, Fused. I think I would laugh very hard if Obama went with it.
    Why It would stop a show down with Republicans. People would have confidence again. Do we really need two months of drama on the TV. I would rather the President focus on other bills. Congress had an approval rating of 10 percent with House Speaker rating the lowest out of all the members. Even the Gov of NJ a Republican ripped his own party.

It seems like a great loop hole to bypass the republicans.

In this article. It states House Speaker is prepared to shut down the goverment in order to get what he wants. The other solution seems less healthy to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2409656.html
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2013-01-05 at 12:02 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    I might have missed it in the scare news but when are they coming around to visiting the cliff next time? I just assume this isn't the permanent solution but just something that puts it off for awhile until it becomes some other poor sods problem.

Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    I might have missed it in the scare news but when are they coming around to visiting the cliff next time? I just assume this isn't the permanent solution but just something that puts it off for awhile until it becomes some other poor sods problem.
    In two months.

Means we will be in the exact same situation. This time Republicans will aruge for massive spending cuts that affect people long term to provide short term solution for them. They actually are prepared to throw the entire Country shutting it down. Like Newt did over a decade ago in order to get what they want. To me at least. That is no way a government should act.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Why It would stop a show down with Republicans. People would have confidence again. Do we really need two months of drama on the TV. I would rather the President focus on other bills. Congress had an approval rating of 10 percent with House Speaker rating the lowest out of all the members. Even the Gov of NJ a Republican ripped his own party.

It seems like a great loop hole to bypass the republicans.

In this article. It states House Speaker is prepared to shut down the goverment in order to get what he wants. The other solution seems less healthy to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2409656.html
    Oh, I'd be all for it. The part I would laugh at the absolute dumbfounded look Republicans would have it Obama did actually go through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Oh, I'd be all for it. The part I would laugh at the absolute dumbfounded look Republicans would have it Obama did actually go through with it.
    That could be pretty amusing. I do not think the Republicans want have debate on spending cuts. It will make them look bad. The Country does not need this debate in this heavily divided congress. Simply doing it would solve all problems and deal with it later.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Actually Obama offered to give SSI a chained CPI. Which means it would save around rougly 300 billion dollars. It means when the cost of living adjustments go up. It would stay down. For example the price of chicken rises. Instead of rising with higher prices. It would assume the person is eating another food of equal cost costing thousands of dollars of Benefits to go down for millions of Americans.

That actually angered a ton of Dems.

He also hinted at cutting medicare which is insurance program for elderly. There ARE spending cuts. Republicans John Mc Cain took SSI off the table. He did not want to have a argument tax cuts for rich people vs slashing programs for the poor.
    SSI is a tricky subject.

On the one hand it's expensive as hell and doesn't provide enough to retire on by itself.

On the other hand you can't simply end the program because people who've paid into it all their lives depend on it AND it's a kick in the nuts to everyone who is paying into it right now.

What a stupid fucking plan it was.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 01:19 AM ----------

And anyone who legitimately thinks the Debt Ceiling not being raised is an actual risk should probably read the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution (AKA: The Highest Law in the United States).

Section. 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Blademaster
    And anyone who legitimately thinks the Debt Ceiling not being raised is an actual risk should probably read the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution (AKA: The Highest Law in the United States).

Section. 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.
    Unfortunately, some of the people (teabaggers mostly) in Congress seem to have glanced over that part of the Constitution that they claim to love so much.

SSI isn't a stupid plan. Its a solid system that helps address a serious issue (senior poverty). The only problem with it is the trust fund gets raided. Its completely fixable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!