Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    [Movies] The Top 10 Movies of 2012

    Here are my personal picks for a fantastic year of films, feel free to leave yours in the comments and discuss each other's picks. (Yes I want discussion on them, that does not mean say 'your picks suck' but feel free to discuss with others about their picks)

    Before I make my list, I haven't seen Arbitrage, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Seven Psychopaths, or Amour so they will not be on my list (for now).

    First for my honorable mentions

    The Dark Knight Rises - This was originally on my top 10 list, but once I saw and had to add in Zero Dark Thirty, something had to go and this ended up being the movie to do it. It was a great movie, despite its flaws, but its flaws really did take it off the list now that im playing catch up.

    Looper - I really enjoyed the original twist to Looper and it was the best Sci-Fi film of the year, and it was also originally on my top 10 list but slipped off due to some last minute viewings of films I missed.

    Moonrise Kingdom - This was the same as Skyfall for me, it really stuck with me and it was very solid for the small and subtle film it was. A great film and everything in it was well done.

    The Secret World of Arriety - It was a fantastic animation, and actually would be on my list but it was actually released in Japan a couple years ago so it isn't exactly a 2012 movie, so it wouldn't have been right for it to be on my list.

    Skyfall - It was a great Bond movie, and although I wasn't jumping for joy all over it at first, it did stick to me and I really do like the movie a lot more than I did before (and I liked it a lot before), so I have to give it a mention.

    Now for my actual top 10

    10.
    Lincoln
    Everything about the movie was superb, especially the standout performances by Daniel-Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones. The fact that a movie about getting an amendment to the Constitution passed could be so entertaining and thrilling means it deserves to be on this list.

    9.
    Silver Linings Playbook
    It was a really funny, dark, and emotional comedy that I didn't expect much from when I went to see it, so when I did it really surprised me making it worthy of being on this list.

    8.
    Wreck-It Ralph
    By far the best animation of the year, and it was one of my personal favorites of the year. It was surprisingly deep in the emotions shown during some of the scenes and is vastly enjoyable, and it really helps that the Paperman short is tied with it.

    7.
    The Avengers
    This movie was one epic joyride at the theaters and had an an amazing pay-off for seeing the previous Marvel films before it. It is the best action flick of the year, and definitely deserves the major box office success it has. There really isn't much to say that hasn't been said by nearly every single person who has seen this movie (which is pretty much everybody).

    6.
    Django Unchained
    For some reason this movie reminds me of some of my favorite candy, in a way that I eat some and it has that perfect amount of sweetness to make me want more. Yes I associated sweetness to this awesome Tarentino flick that had me laughing hard, and then sat in shock at some of the things I saw the next scene. It is a ballsy, great film that can really only be associated with one word, "Awesome".

    5.
    Argo
    One of the best thrillers this year, as well as the awesome (as well as true) concept it was based off of, that also had relevancy with current modern events. Add to the fact that there really wasn't a shot fired from what I remembered yet I had more suspense in this than any other movie of the year means it really deserves this spot.

    4.
    The Beasts of Southern Wild
    The film had this magical aspect to it and really stood out as something I have really never seen before and had fantastic originality. With that it also had a meaning that takes multiple viewings and a lot of thinking to really get a grasp of and it leaves you completely captivated in the poetic narrative of the little girl Hush Puppy from some fantastic acting by the young Q. Wallis.

    3.
    Zero Dark Thirty
    This movie was spectacular in the way that it showed everything how it happened and kept you immersed in a hunt that is very familiar and even catches you off guard. It is grueling and great, as well as a fantastic performance by Jessica Chastain (probably one of the best of this year up with Anne Hathaway and Daniel-Day Lewis), definitely deserves to be up here.

    2.
    Life of Pi
    This is a visual masterpiece, and with that it is also a great philosophical one, and filmed one a book considered to be unfilmable, which is a great feat. The movie is a complete thrill to watch, and has an ending that if you get, will leave you thinking about it for a good long while after the film, it truly sticks with you.

    1.
    Les Miserables
    Alright, I decided to be a bit biased for my number 1, in the fact it is not something everybody will love due to the subject matter and the fact it 99% sung. However for me, I absolutely loved it, the musical numbers stuck with me, the acting was absolutely phenomenal, and it had me wanting to see more of it, it definitely helps that I am a major fan of the musical, however I loved this more than I thought I would (which I already thought I would really love this movie), making it my number 1 film.
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2013-01-21 at 07:10 PM.

  2. #2
    I would also add my top 6 (my top 3 especially) I could really interchange and it still be my list they were really great for me, and any of the movies I mentioned in the top 10 (plus the ones I haven't seen that many have considered great) I wouldn't disagree if somebody considered them the best.

  3. #3
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,253
    Good top 10 list, but I wouldn't have put DKR on their. The plotholes spoiled the movie completely, to the point where it didn't even make sense. I would put the Hobbit in it's place and maybe around position 7. It's actually a very well done movie with a good story, amazing visuals and great acting. The only issue I had with it was it jumping around a little too much. Otherwise, great list.

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,350
    Plot holes such as?

  5. #5
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Plot holes such as?
    This about covers it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tE-BCwZtw

    Pick a specific one out if you have any questions

  6. #6
    I am Murloc! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,350
    ......................

    Haters gonna hate.

  7. #7
    Moderator Kerdoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ekerö
    Posts
    5,171
    I am ashamed to say that I have not even seen 5 movies released in 2012

  8. #8
    Brewmaster slackjawsix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tell me! where am i!
    Posts
    1,330
    only thing i change is add in cloud atlas in there, its very hard to make a movie that long and entertain me the whole way through and the casting was really cool
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    This about covers it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tE-BCwZtw

    Pick a specific one out if you have any questions
    All these are just nitpicking. When you nitpick at a fictional movie that's so incredibly sad. "OMG I CANET ENJOY DIS COS NO SEKURITYZ AT WANE MANOR!!". Pathetic.

  10. #10
    Epic! Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Enchanted Forest near the city of Keldor
    Posts
    1,733
    Nice list but the Dark Knight Rises isnt even on my list this year... way too many issues with that movie, one of the major ones being Deckard "Bane" Caine :P.

    Which is a shame since The Dark Knight is my best superhero movie of all time.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Nice list but the Dark Knight Rises isnt even on my list this year... way too many issues with that movie, one of the major ones being Deckard "Bane" Caine :P.

    Which is a shame since The Dark Knight is my best superhero movie of all time.
    Feel free to post their list, I don't think people have realized that this thread isn't just for my list it's for anyone who wants to post theirs :P

  12. #12
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,253
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    All these are just nitpicking. When you nitpick at a fictional movie that's so incredibly sad. "OMG I CANET ENJOY DIS COS NO SEKURITYZ AT WANE MANOR!!". Pathetic.
    I'll agree that some are a bit nitpicky, but at the same time there are some terrible plot holes that sorta spoil the whole film. It wasn't the worst movie ever made, but it's not something that I would put on a top 10 list for 2012. It's pretty middle of the road.

  13. #13
    Brewmaster Pvt Hudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Posts
    1,439
    I dont know my full list of 2012.

    I can say Perks of Being a Wall Flower is number 1 for me.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    I dont know my full list of 2012.

    I can say Perks of Being a Wall Flower is number 1 for me.
    I've heard lots of good things about that film, and I still haven't seen it. I would rent it or even just flat out buy it blu-ray since I expect I'll end up liking it, but I haven't seen it in any store when I walk in the movie sections yet. :\

  15. #15
    Brewmaster Pvt Hudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    I've heard lots of good things about that film, and I still haven't seen it. I would rent it or even just flat out buy it blu-ray since I expect I'll end up liking it, but I haven't seen it in any store when I walk in the movie sections yet. :\
    Its not out yet, when it does i want to buy it just so it boosts its sale.

  16. #16
    I am Murloc! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Feel free to post their list, I don't think people have realized that this thread isn't just for my list it's for anyone who wants to post theirs :P
    1. Dark Knight Rises
    7. The Avengers
    13. 21 Jump Street
    16. Amazing Spiderman

    I only chose 4, but those are relative positions next to each other. I only like action and comedy and sometimes horror.

    -Dark Knight Rises was amazing combination of action + coolness + mystery. Forget you guys and your plotholes.
    -Avengers was nice action but the villain was too weak for me and it wasn't DKR level.
    -21 Jump Street was funny but not good enough to be in a top 10.
    -Spiderman sort of sucked, but it's a hero movie with some action so whatever.

    Honestly the rest of the movies you guys are posting are kind of like "lol...." to me because they're just not the genre/type I like. Although, there are a few there that, if I saw them or liked the series (I'm talking about the Hobbit, I didn't see it since I never saw LotR movies) I might place them on the list, but I just never saw them so I can't rank them.

  17. #17
    I like the formatting of your list, I would do the same but CBF uploading those like IMDB sized pics for each movie :P I really did not get out to the Cinema as much this year as I thought I did. Also movies like; Life of Pi, Django Unchained etc weren't released in Aus till 2013 (Django still ain't out till the end of Jan) so they would defs replace some of my 7-10 choices as those movies were mainly only there because I didn't watch anything else :S

    10. The Hunger Games
    I hated this movie, movies like this make me want to kill retard authors and kill the morons who think it's a good idea to adapt that shit into a movie. Alas, it's on this list because I was extremely lazy this year when it came to movies, and this BS was hyped so it was one of the movies I did end up watching. Utterly Horrible movie that I recommend NOBODY watches.

    9. The Expendables 2
    This movie was actually not half bad. The plot was completely moronic, the locations and events that occurred throughout the movie was stupid, it literally feels like one of these beefy steroid filled morons with no brain wrote the entire script, but hell it was fucking funny. You gotta give these guys some credit, it had literally EVERY massive action star of the last 20 years all thrown into some half-cocked plot cracking joke after joke referring to the movies they were in and quoting lines from said movies. But heck, the action was good, and I found myself laughing alot more then I probably should have.

    8. The Bourne Legacy
    I hadn't watched a single Bourne film before this one (And I've been told I'm partly retarded because I haven't :P ), and yet It was surprisingly good. I went in with very low expectations and not knowing what to expect and yet it seemed to flow really well. I didn't feel like I was out of the loop because I hadn't watched the other Bourne movies, and everything tied in really nicely. The ending was a bit lame but otherwise the movie had a good pace and kept you on the edge quite well.

    7. Skyfall
    I'm not a big Bond fan, at all. I watch them if I can be bothered, but I'm just really not into it that much. However I quite enjoyed Skyfall, it had it's ridiculous moments, and it definitely wasn't the best Bond film ever. But the acting was brilliant (Especially the Villain, WOW), there was plenty of guns and explosions like you expect in a Bond movie but there was also a good amount of detective work, which has been lacking in the last couple of Bond films.

    6. Ted
    I loved Family Guy for season after season after season but now I really just can't stand to watch it. There's moment which make me Lol hard, but in general it's just not my humor anymore. So going into Ted I didn't know what to expect, but Mark Wahlberg is good, Mila Kunis is Amazing (Ngh) and Seth Macfarlane has one hell of a Voice and his original family guy work was good, so I thought why not? It definitely paid off, the movie was a blast. There was the usual 'bleh humor' which I just don't click with anymore, but alot of it was still quite interesting and I found myself laughing alot more then what I expected.

    5. Les Miserables
    My sister is totally into all the Musical Theatre stuff, I'm not, I don't go to many of her performances because I just really dislike it. But I was able to get into this, there was moments where I thought, 'Ugh do they really need to Sing-Talk this, why can't they just talk normally', but those would pass and the movie rolled on. The acting was good, the sets and locations were fantastic and it definitely brought tears to my eyes at the end.

    4. Wreck it Ralph
    This movie was a HUGE surprise for me. Couple of friends and I saw this on a complete whim. Yes there was lots of humor moments which was clearly directed at Children, but that's what actually made me rank it higher. Not only was the animation GORGEOUS, but little 'attention to detail' moments were added for the way different character walked and talked and it was a really nice touch. It was a sweet story with tons of amazing 'in-joke' moments for anyone who played alot of Nintendo 64/PS1/Retro games. It was great because it covered so many age groups all in one hit (Kind of like Finding Nemo for Nerd/Gamers and Kids).

    3. The Avengers
    I was worried about this movie, I knew Joss Whedon was at the helm but I was still troubled by trying to bring so many characters together into one world. Yet, it worked, and quite wonderfully as well. I've not liked any of the actors that played Hulk so far, but Mark Ruffalo did an excellent job and really turned that character around. Robert Downey Jr. just nails his peformance as always and really was at the heart of that film. Turned out it was just a great, action packed adventure and a brilliant way of bringing all the comic character together.

    2. The Dark Knight Rises
    Couple of my friends give me alot of flack for liking this movie so much, but I simply cannot help it. I am 100% aware of every plothole and silly moment of this film, but everytime I watch it I get this swelling sense of awesomeness, everytime Batman leaps onto the scene and the score from Zimmer swells it's just a glorious moment. Plus the best Catwoman in both Script and Acting ever, Joseph Gordan Levitt becoming Robin was expected but it was still a great performance and an interesting character. Tom Hardy played bane superbly and I think there was only 1 line I couldn't decipher.

    1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    There was absolutely no way this movie was going to be a letdown for me. LOTR Trilogy is my favorite trilogy of all time and I'm more then happy to admit I'm just a silly fanboy Regardless it was a brilliant film, didn't feel like it was bloated at all, 48 FPS improved the general look and enhanced the 3D and anything that was CGI. Ian Mckellen is a bloody God, Martin Freeman I knew would do a great job, and I was pleasantly surprised by all the performances of the Dwarves. I enjoyed my No.2 but it's not even remotely close to The Hobbit.
    Last edited by Daverid; 2013-01-05 at 02:34 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    I like the formatting of your list, I would do the same but CBF uploading those like IMDB sized pics for each movie :P I really did not get out to the Cinema as much this year as I thought I did. Also movies like; Life of Pi, Django Unchained etc weren't released in Aus till 2013 (Django still ain't out till the end of Jan) so they would defs replace some of my 7-10 choices as those movies were mainly only there because I didn't watch anything else :S

    10. The Hunger Games
    I hated this movie, movies like this make me want to kill retard authors and kill the morons who think it's a good idea to adapt that shit into a movie. Alas, it's on this list because I was extremely lazy this year when it came to movies, and this BS was hyped so it was one of the movies I did end up watching. Utterly Horrible movie that I recommend NOBODY watches.

    9. The Expendables 2
    This movie was actually not half bad. The plot was completely moronic, the locations and events that occurred throughout the movie was stupid, it literally feels like one of these beefy steroid filled morons with no brain wrote the entire script, but hell it was fucking funny. You gotta give these guys some credit, it had literally EVERY massive action star of the last 20 years all thrown into some half-cocked plot cracking joke after joke referring to the movies they were in and quoting lines from said movies. But heck, the action was good, and I found myself laughing alot more then I probably should have.

    8. The Bourne Legacy
    I hadn't watched a single Bourne film before this one (And I've been told I'm partly retarded because I haven't :P ), and yet It was surprisingly good. I went in with very low expectations and not knowing what to expect and yet it seemed to flow really well. I didn't feel like I was out of the loop because I hadn't watched the other Bourne movies, and everything tied in really nicely. The ending was a bit lame but otherwise the movie had a good pace and kept you on the edge quite well.

    7. Skyfall
    I'm not a big Bond fan, at all. I watch them if I can be bothered, but I'm just really not into it that much. However I quite enjoyed Skyfall, it had it's ridiculous moments, and it definitely wasn't the best Bond film ever. But the acting was brilliant (Especially the Villain, WOW), there was plenty of guns and explosions like you expect in a Bond movie but there was also a good amount of detective work, which has been lacking in the last couple of Bond films.

    6. Ted
    I loved Family Guy for season after season after season but now I really just can't stand to watch it. There's moment which make me Lol hard, but in general it's just not my humor anymore. So going into Ted I didn't know what to expect, but Mark Wahlberg is good, Mila Kunis is Amazing (Ngh) and Seth Macfarlane has one hell of a Voice and his original family guy work was good, so I thought why not? It definitely paid off, the movie was a blast. There was the usual 'bleh humor' which I just don't click with anymore, but alot of it was still quite interesting and I found myself laughing alot more then what I expected.

    5. Les Miserables
    My sister is totally into all the Musical Theatre stuff, I'm not, I don't go to many of her performances because I just really dislike it. But I was able to get into this, there was moments where I thought, 'Ugh do they really need to Sing-Talk this, why can't they just talk normally', but those would pass and the movie rolled on. The acting was good, the sets and locations were fantastic and it definitely brought tears to my eyes at the end.

    4. Wreck it Ralph
    This movie was a HUGE surprise for me. Couple of friends and I saw this on a complete whim. Yes there was lots of humor moments which was clearly directed at Children, but that's what actually made me rank it higher. Not only was the animation GORGEOUS, but little 'attention to detail' moments were added for the way different character walked and talked and it was a really nice touch. It was a sweet story with tons of amazing 'in-joke' moments for anyone who played alot of Nintendo 64/PS1/Retro games. It was great because it covered so many age groups all in one hit (Kind of like Finding Nemo for Nerd/Gamers and Kids).

    3. The Avengers
    I was worried about this movie, I knew Joss Whedon was at the helm but I was still troubled by trying to bring so many characters together into one world. Yet, it worked, and quite wonderfully as well. I've not liked any of the actors that played Hulk so far, but Mark Ruffalo did an excellent job and really turned that character around. Robert Downey Jr. just nails his peformance as always and really was at the heart of that film. Turned out it was just a great, action packed adventure and a brilliant way of bringing all the comic character together.

    2. The Dark Knight Rises
    Couple of my friends give me alot of flack for liking this movie so much, but I simply cannot help it. I am 100% aware of every plothole and silly moment of this film, but everytime I watch it I get this swelling sense of awesomeness, everytime Batman leaps onto the scene and the score from Zimmer swells it's just a glorious moment. Plus the best Catwoman in both Script and Acting ever, Joseph Gordan Levitt becoming Robin was expected but it was still a great performance and an interesting character. Tom Hardy played bane superbly and I think there was only 1 line I couldn't decipher.

    1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    There was absolutely no way this movie was going to be a letdown for me. LOTR Trilogy is my favorite trilogy of all time and I'm more then happy to admit I'm just a silly fanboy Regardless it was a brilliant film, didn't feel like it was bloated at all, 48 FPS improved the general look and enhanced the 3D and anything that was CGI. Ian Mckellen is a bloody God, Martin Freeman I knew would do a great job, and I was pleasantly surprised by all the performances of the Dwarves. I enjoyed my No.2 but it's not even remotely close to The Hobbit.
    Pretty good list, especially for not seeing many movies this year (although you sure did make it to quite a few good ones)

    And yeah the Hobbit probably would (or could) have been in my top 10 if I had let my inner Tolkien-fanboy take over. I really liked it despite my personal problems with Azog and Radagast.

  19. #19
    Have you seen End of Watch? I can't really be bothered coming up with a list, but it would definitely be in my top 3. One of the best movies this year.

    Edit: Honourable mentions (that haven't yet been mentioned) include:
    Man on a Ledge - A popcorn flick that is surprisingly enjoyable, and has a good combination of thrills and twists.
    Pitch Perfect - Funny movie with Mean-Girls esque bitchiness. Fat Amy is hilarious.
    Last edited by saberon; 2013-01-06 at 11:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Have you seen End of Watch? I can't really be bothered coming up with a list, but it would definitely be in my top 3. One of the best movies this year.

    Edit: Honourable mentions (that haven't yet been mentioned) include:
    Man on a Ledge - A popcorn flick that is surprisingly enjoyable, and has a good combination of thrills and twists.
    Pitch Perfect - Funny movie with Mean-Girls esque bitchiness. Fat Amy is hilarious.
    Didn't see Man on a Ledge or End of Watch (but I did hear some good things about End of Watch, not good enough where I thought I needed to mention I didn't see it though).

    Pitch Perfect I did end up seeing and although it was funny (especially Fat Amy) and I enjoyed it, there are many movies that I thought were better than it this year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •