Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Exclamation Not as smart as I think I am.

I am a engineering student at my local community college and will be taking calculus one next semester. I always get A's and B's in my class and have not received a C yet. I also am a math tutor at my college. I thought I was pretty smart, actually I thought I was genius.

But now I realize that everyone probably thinks they are smarter than they actually are. After all, there are probably countless other people around the world that are thinking exactly the same thing. What makes me better than them? Upon understand this I know think that I am not special, nor am I gifted in any fashion.

We desperately try to out do one another without realizing that the main purpose is simply to stroke our own ego.

10+ Year Old Account
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Everyone is superior to you. But you are superior to them in one way or other.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you discovered humility. It's an important step to learning.

Quote Originally Posted by frunken View Post
    Yes, you discovered humility. It's an important step to learning.
    As much as everyone loves to wallow in their own ego (including me), this is true

Humility...pfft who needs that lol.

Seriously though, everyone has certain things they "niche" in.

I was a engineering student before my military career, I was great with engineering math, but horrible with calculus and writing classes (as im sure many here have observed).

At least your not arrgoant though.

I am a engineering student at my local community college and will be taking calculus one next semester. I always get A's and B's in my class and have not received a C yet. I also am a math tutor at my college. I thought I was pretty smart, actually I thought I was genius.
    None of those things indicate "smartness" - they indicate a reasonable memory and an ability to hand in assignments on time - I'm not saying your not smart, but if thats all your going on then.....

To me, being smart means seeing insights the average person does not. Understanding math on a intuitive basis, grasping underling socio-logic, political and anthropological concepts without having them spelt out and drilled into you. A natural affluence in the basic structures of language, biology, and the universe without simply pouring an encyclopaedia in your ear. In short - an ability to naturally learn and understand whatever is in front of them without outside assistance and guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    None of those things indicate "smartness" - they indicate a reasonable memory and an ability to hand in assignments on time - I'm not saying your not smart, but if thats all your going on then.....

To me, being smart means seeing insights the average person does not. Understanding math on a intuitive basis, grasping underling socio-logic, political and anthropological concepts without having them spelt out and drilled into you. A natural affluence in the basic structures of language, biology, and the universe without simply pouring an encyclopaedia in your ear. In short - an ability to naturally learn and understand whatever is in front of them without outside assistance and guidance.
    Not ure if you have taken any engineering courses, but they do require a fairly high level of "smartness"

AC circuit theory for example, there is alot of brainwork involved in that class. You must be able to not only remember the theories themselves put be able to apply them in realife to make things work I.E. breadboarding

Intelligence can be a very subjective thing further to that there are many theories to different types of intelligences. Mainly we look for things that are valuable to us and aid us in our lives and discard the useless, I think it was Einstein who said if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree it would spend it's whole life thinking it's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Not ure if you have taken any engineering courses, but they do require a fairly high level of "smartness"

AC circuit theory for example, there is alot of brainwork involved in that class. You must be able to not only remember the theories themselves put be able to apply them in realife to make things work I.E. breadboarding
    I doubt they require a high level of "smartness" I just find that notion so... queer.

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    Intelligence can be a very subjective thing further to that there are many theories to different types of intelligences. Mainly we look for things that are valuable to us and aid us in our lives and discard the useless, I think it was Einstein who said if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree it would spend it's whole life thinking it's stupid.
    This post pretty much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post

But now I realize that everyone probably thinks they are smarter than they actually are. After all, there are probably countless other people around the world that are thinking exactly the same thing. What makes me better than them? Upon understand this I know think that I am not special, nor am I gifted in any fashion.

We desperately try to out do one another without realizing that the main purpose is simply to stroke our own ego.
    The first step to becoming truly intelligent is becoming aware of how little you know.

In my case, I know nothing compared to what I should. The only thing anyone can do is keep on trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    well your certainly no genius with grammar

Being good at school has more to do with dedication and hard work than actual intelligence in my opinion though. The only difference is that smart people has to put less effort into it to achieve the same results.

Deleted
    Well if people with mental retardation can become President then anythings possible.

You are a successful engineering student with a good if not great skill in math. Believe me, not many people can claim having the talent you have, you are probably a smart person.

You don't need to underestimate yourself to learn the value of humility, that would be acting. One can perfectly picture the average intelligence level of an ordinary human if one has the social experience and a mind capable of analyzing that experience with the least mistakes possible; if you are not sure you can empathize on that level, you are either among that "ordinary" population, or you may have insecurity problems.

Observing the invidiuals around you and empathizing with the people you met are more than enough to be able to teach yourself the delicacy and importance of some public values, also to train your mind to think rationally about both your apparent abilities and the herd you spend your days with, without feeling the need to boost your ego with delusion or to underestimate your mental capability, if you are not suffering from anxiety issues anyway.

I know im smart, my mother had me tested...

Or maybe that's how i know i'm not crazy...

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's nice to see the first reply to the thread being the correct response.

OP, go read that link.

I rarely feel superior to anyone. People are often even shocked when I admit I'm only average at World of Warcraft, if not only just a hair above average.

As far as not being as smart as I think I am, I never gauge intelligence with how much one knows, but one's eagerness to know more and their capacity to understand what they learn. I'm a pretty smart guy, but someone somewhere is smarter than me in any subject. But I'm always willing to learn more. Being humbled by someone else' superior intellect is a fantastic learning experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

"In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Blackarthas View Post
    well your certainly no genius with grammar
    Sorry to bother you. But could you please explain the difference between your and you're?