Waiters/Servers and bus people

So I wanted to bring this up in the other topic, but that would mean I would be going off topic so I just decided to make a new topic.

Anyway in the other topic I was quite clear that I tip, but that I expect a certain amount of service. I also pointed out that while I tip I do not like some of the entitlement some servers feel. Now I am not working right now, I haven't worked in the past month. I finished off a project and have been taking a break, sure I keep an eye open for new clients and lend an ear to old ones, but I hate this job.

I am thinking of becoming a waiter for 2 reasons, 1) I really would like to know first hand the job, which I still find to be a low skill job, and 2) how much does one make?

So my questions are how much do you make on average? I mean I live in Hudson county by New York City so my area is heavily populated and urban. Take that into account, and what are some of experiences of being a server, BESIDES tips.

Honestly I hold my opinions but am ultimately ignorant of the full extent of their job as that simply isn't my job. I also like experiments so why not. I do love food and I do love to cook and my cooking is damn good, though this is off the topic of serving.

do you have boobs? I made no tips when I was a male.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a rule, you'll make more money in upscale establishments. Higher check total equals higher tips. Some really upscale places even give servers salaries although that is quite rare. It would take some time to work your way up to that level so just starting out (assuming you haven't held a service job before) expect far less than minimum wage, poor hours and little flexibility, and the development of acting skills to deliver the high quality service that will encourage higher tips.

Also expect to not just wait tables - expect to also clear tables, clean and store silverware, plates, glasses, etc., reset tables, and to tip out your bussers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    As a rule, you'll make more money in upscale establishments. Higher check total equals higher tips. Some really upscale places even give servers salaries although that is quite rare. It would take some time to work your way up to that level so just starting out (assuming you haven't held a service job before) expect far less than minimum wage, poor hours and little flexibility, and the development of acting skills to deliver the high quality service that will encourage higher tips.

Also expect to not just wait tables - expect to also clear tables, clean and store silverware, plates, glasses, etc., reset tables, and to tip out your bussers.
    I cater to developers who need money, it's kind of like a service.