Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The community killed themselves, it was never the tools given by Blizzard.
    Must be nice living in a world where everything is either black or white It was not LF tools alone that weakened the community. The difficulty change in Cata burned out more raid leaders than any other raid tier and hit pugging community very hard. That was followed by weak Firelands raid and overall disappointment with Cata and then came LFR.

Not to mention LF tools in their own are not bad, but they can be used to strengthen community as much as to destroy it. Even with one server design you can easily segregate population into smaller portions. You make guilds and then alliances from the guilds that can grow to thousands of players and have LF tools appied to them if players choose to.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    My God, Jimmy! I am now in love with you!
    This post should be copy/pasted everytime someone blames LFD/LFR for the "destruction" of their realm "community".

When will people realise that if the community was so good and tight knit, they still would be in spite of LFD/LFR? You don't just suddenly have no friends because of an automated group finding tool.
    Most of the time, the people complaining are also doing nothing to be friendly with other players and will just queue for LFD/LFR on their own, to then complain about it not being with people on their own server.

The community killed themselves, it was never the tools given by Blizzard.
    I purposefully avoided Jimmy's wall of text because I feared it would be exactly what he typed.

You know what, those "spamming around and wasting time standing around in a city" was socializing for some people. "whispering to people, getting no replies, ridiculous "gear check" meetings, dependence on the goodwill or bias of other people" were all a part of a meeting other people and stuff.

I'll tell you a story, how I met a really good friend of mine in this game.

We were struggling to make a group for 25man raids just before Firelands, so we took a break as a guild from raids. But me and some friends wanted to still raid, and we were a tank short. Obviously, we pugged the tank. The guy is still with us and we formed a great friendship with him.

These kind of stuff happened all the time before LFD. People miss the social aspect of having to find your group, having to form a connection to be successful and such..

I don't have much to say about the so called 'Community' and 'Judging others' thing, because it would eventually lead into a full scale shitstorm on this topic about Titan and I don't want to derail the topic any further. I'll only say one thing: The community is as good as its worst member. People tend to focus on only the bad things about the communities in a general sense and totally disregard all the good stuff. I try every day not to be one of these people.

I personally think that LFD sure is a good tool to have, but I (still personally) prefer if it didn't exist.

I sure hope it does. Not having LFD really sucked in pre LFD days and really sucked in Old Republic. People forget how much fun it was sitting in town all day long as a dps looking for a group. People also forget how much fun it was if you were a tank or a healer to constantly be spammed by people asking you to tank or heal for them. Oh yeah those were the good ol times. /sarcasm. People really need to get over the whole 'it ruined my realm' garbage.

Here's to 2013 and finding out wtf Titan actually is! Woo!

Only problem i have with lf tools is the way they work in some terms.
    One thing that sets WoW apart from all other mmos is its open world instead of an instanced world, with LF tool it pretty much destroys the open world aside from leveling, endgame in my view, sucks if it is basically dungeoning alone, i did very much enjoy quite a lot of other things, among others pvp.
    Whats the point of a pvp server if everything is instanced and in controlled environments? might as well make all servers pve and let people level without being ganked, because sadly that is what world pvp resumes to nowadays.

And before anyone goes "there was never world pvp" i had about 8000 honour kills before bgs were implemented. yes, there was a lot of world pvp in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortai2 View Post
    Here's to 2013 and finding out wtf Titan actually is! Woo!
    To 2013!
    * Raises a glass *

To Titan!!!
    * Drinks *

I hope the only instanced content will be solo stuff. Instances killed the fun in MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Not to mention LF tools in their own are not bad, but they can be used to strengthen community as much as to destroy it. Even with one server design you can easily segregate population into smaller portions. You make guilds and then alliances from the guilds that can grow to thousands of players and have LF tools appied to them if players choose to.
    The bold is the point though. It's the choice of the community as to whether or not they strengthen it or destroy it.

I generally only use it when I want to be lazy and there is either nobody in my guild online at the time or, we only have, let's say, a tank and 2 DPS online. Otherwise, I will ask friends on RealID if they want to do some randoms. These are friends I've had on WoW up to a good 7 years. The community is there still, we just have to realise that and talk to each other.

Rarely updated...

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i think its wrong to assume titan will even have dungeons at this point
    Assuming anything on Titan is foolish at this point.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    MMOs do have caps on the number of players they support. It just happens to be very, very high.
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Don't all MMORPG servers have a cap before the queue comes into effect?
    Those caps are technical threshholds based on data traffic and hardware load, not any specific number of players. It's not part of the game design, it's a hardware limitation.

A 500-player FPS is designed to only hold 500 players.

No one knows what Titan will even be as far as type of game. The best guess up to this point is an FPSMMO. An MMO without LFD/LFR type function is a huge mistake by any game company. (If the game has dungeons and raids)

Does anybody here use google?

http://www.blizzardnewmmo.com/
    http://www.blizzardnewmmo.com/Game_Info

It's not a whole lot of info, but those links should clear up alot of the theories going around.

And for the love of God, WoW isn't going to just stop at level 100. Ultima Online has 250,000 subscribers and is still pushing out new content. Personally, I don't see how it would be remotely possible for WoW to lose 10 million subscribers in the next 4 or 5 years. And if I am wrong, and they do stop WoW at level 100, then Blizzard will officially be given the title of "Stupidest Business Decision of All Time".

LFD is a must have feature these days. But, the community issues it brought to WoW are a very real problem. There is a simple solution though: Limit LFD to each single server. In future MMOs, surely they will have the technology to increase server population limits. So people will have the convenience of queing for groups, but with people on their same server, thus increasing community bonds.

My baseless assumption regarding Titan is the idea that it will share a subscription fee with WoW. If you sub to one, then you gain access to both games. I'm not sure how else they will be able to support having 2 MMOs on the market simultaneously. They don't want anyone leaving one game to play the other. So, this would make sense. But, who knows what Blizz will do. We don't even know the nature of Titan just yet.

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by Clash1 View Post
    LFD is a must have feature these days. But, the community issues it brought to WoW are a very real problem. There is a simple solution though: Limit LFD to each single server. In future MMOs, surely they will have the technology to increase server population limits. So people will have the convenience of queing for groups, but with people on their same server, thus increasing community bonds.
    Yeah, and making super-long queues on low-pop servers. No thanks.
    Btw, LFD already tries to match you with people from your server first.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash1 View Post
    My baseless assumption regarding Titan is the idea that it will share a subscription fee with WoW. If you sub to one, then you gain access to both games. I'm not sure how else they will be able to support having 2 MMOs on the market simultaneously. They don't want anyone leaving one game to play the other. So, this would make sense. But, who knows what Blizz will do. We don't even know the nature of Titan just yet.
    From the rumours running around, a possibility of ad-based financing was not completely out of the question for Titan.

BC/LK raider ('07-'10)