Thread: Moving servers

Moving servers

Happy new years all!

I recently moved servers and I copied over my addons as well as the addon.txt file. However not all of the addons I used on the old server are turned on the new server. Is there some other file in the client that lets WoW know what addons you want enabled?

File in question is

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\Account Name\Server Name\Character Name\addons.txt

10+ Year Old Account
    When I do this, I copy everything in the WTF folder over.

Deleted
    These files are processed from the top down. The first character's addons.txt applies to all characters below it, unless it gets overridden somewhere along the way.

PS: At least that's how it worked the last time I transferred.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 11:54 AM ----------

If it still works that way, I just found a Lua script I made way back when to merge these. You'll need a standalone Lua interpreter (like Lua for Windows to run it):
    Code:
    local src_t,dst_t,out_t={},{},{}
    local src=io.open("src.txt", "r")
    local a = src:read("*l")
    while a do
    	local name, state = a:match("(.+): (.+)")
    	src_t[name] = state
    	print("SRC: "..name.." is "..state)
    	a=src:read("*l")
    end
    src:close()
    local dst = io.open("dst.txt", "r")
    local b = dst:read("*l")
    while b do
    	local name, state = b:match("(.+): (.+)")
    	dst_t[name] = state
    	print("DST: "..name.." is "..state)
    	b=dst:read("*l")
    end
    dst:close()
    for addon, state in pairs(src_t) do
    	out_t[addon] = dst_t[addon] or src_t[addon]
    end
    for addon, state in pairs(dst_t) do
    	if not out_t[addon] then
    		out_t[addon] = state
    		print(addon.." overridden")
    	end
    end
    local wr = io.open("AddOns.txt", "w")
    for addon, state in pairs(out_t) do
    	wr:write(addon..": "..state.."\n")
    end
    wr:close()
    How it works:
    - Take the AddOns.txt for the first character in your (old) character list. Name it "src.txt" and place it in the Lua file's directory.
    - Take the AddOns.txt for the second character in your (old) character list. Name it "dst.txt" and place it in the Lua file's directory.
    - Run the Lua file. The AddOns.txt file generated will be the current state of all addons for character 2.
    - If the second character was the one you transferred, you are now done. Otherwise, continue below:
    - Rename the generated AddOns.txt to src.txt.
    - Take the AddOns.txt for the third character in your (old) character list. Name it "dst.txt" and place it in the Lua file's directory.
    - Run the Lua file. The AddOns.txt file generated will be the current state of all addons for character 3.
    - If the third character was the one you transferred, you are now done. Otherwise, repeat the process for all further characters until you get to the one you transferred.

Before I saw this post I copied over the entire WTF folder for the account. Would this accomplish the same thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillyputty View Post
    Before I saw this post I copied over the entire WTF folder for the account. Would this accomplish the same thing?
    Actually, my suggestion was for changing computers. What you want is to overwrite the character folder on the new realm with the folder from the old realm. This will fix some things like chat and Blizzard UI layout settings. But for this to work with addons, the character name has to be the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillyputty View Post
    However, I'm not quite sure how you "copied the entire WTF folder" when you merely moved between realms? I assume you moved the entire realm folder?

In this case, well, I'm not quite sure whether the functionality is still as I described. Assuming it is (as I can't test this right now), this wouldn't help anything since the character list is processed in order. Unless you have the same characters in the same order (only above the transferred character) on the new realm that you did on the old, this likely won't do anything.